Mercedes Badges - What's what??

Random question but I’m sure some will know the answer.

What do the numbers on Mercs actually relate to. ie: 2551 1836 1860 2544 etc etc

All other manufacturers seem pretty obvious what models are what & HP etc but just curios about mercedes meanings !!

Boring post I know, no mention of cyclists or stobart !! Hope everyone can cope :wink: lol

Cheers

the 1st two numbers are the chassis gross weight and the second two bhp divided by ten IE a 2546 is 25 ton chassis with a 460 bhp engine.i drove an 1857 on birds 18 ton chassis 570 bhp engine simples :smiley:

I’m not sure the first two digits are down to weight although 18 are usually 4x2 and 25 are 6x2 even on rigids although the second two are the power rating (or close too )

Well after 3hrs sat in a layby at least I’ve learnt something new !! Lol

Cheers chaps

chester1:
I’m not sure the first two digits are down to weight although 18 are usually 4x2 and 25 are 6x2 even on rigids although the second two are the power rating (or close too )

Gross weight load on the chassis, so a unit with an 18 can only ever be 18 tonne as the axle would be overloaded otherwise (the other 20 tonnes is born by the trailer axles), therefore a 25 would have to be a 6x2 as you can spread the extra 7 tonnes over the extra axle.

Mercedes have had this way of doing it for many years, way back my first Merc was a 1617 and that was the same numbering convention 16 tonner 170bhp - and it goes back way before that, it is one of those things that once some ones told you is obvious- but if no-ones mentioned it can seem baffling- no such thing as a daft question if you genuinely don’t know the answer

Only exception being the smaller stuff, 815 is a 150 brake but normally plated to 7.5 so it fits on a C1.

Ian G:
Only exception being the smaller stuff, 815 is a 150 brake but normally plated to 7.5 so it fits on a C1.

Not only badged for the Uk market !

Badges! “We don’t need no steenking badges”

I’m glad this thread got started, was going to ask the same myself :blush:

Actually the second two numbers are the quoted BHP/10 and the first two are the actual output :laughing: :laughing:

2544 - quoted 440 bhp - actual output feels more like 250 :laughing: :laughing:

gardun:
Actually the second two numbers are the quoted BHP/10 and the first two are the actual output :laughing: :laughing:

Lol ill second that once had an 815 beaver tail 7.5 tonner the 15 bit was being modest I thought the 8 was more realistic it felt like 8hp every time you hit a hill or even level ground bloody thing.

gardun:

2544 - quoted 440 bhp - actual output feels more like 25 :laughing: :laughing:

FTFY :grimacing:

DAF95XF:
I’m glad this thread got started, was going to ask the same myself :blush:

Looks like we’ve both learnt something new today !! Lol

Dare I even aske about the difference between MAN TGS TGX & the rest, don’t want to learn to much in one day :wink: lol

Derf:

chester1:

Gross weight load on the chassis, so a unit with an 18 can only ever be 18 tonne as the axle would be overloaded otherwise (the other 20 tonnes is born by the trailer axles), therefore a 25 would have to be a 6x2 as you can spread the extra 7 tonnes over the extra axle.

Ford did it better ; Cargo 3224 - 32gtw, 240bhp - simples!

cargocargocargo:

Derf:

chester1:

Is that how HINO work too?

Karl86:

gardun:

Lol ill second that once had an 815 beaver tail 7.5 tonner the 15 bit was being modest I thought the 8 was more realistic it felt like 8hp every time you hit a hill or even level ground bloody thing.

I used to drive some Iveco 130E15 (13t 150bhp) with alternator driven fridges. They were hateful things that couldn’t pull a greasy man out of a bath. With the fridge set to freeze you had to turn it of to climb hills.

Not forgetting the 4 digits Foden used ie 4300 (4000 series 300bhp).
I drove a Merc Atego demonstrator 6w and that was 2628. I believed the first 2 numbers…

cargocargocargo:

Derf:

chester1:

I dont think Ford did anything better when it came to Trucks…or cars really. :wink: just my opinion of course

Leyland did similar, my Dad had a Constructor 24.21