Ackworth / Onward Transport

When I worked for Onward most of the artics were ERFs and the rigids were Daf
although our shunt unit at Birtley was a very dilapidated Crusader.
I started out with a day cab “B” series ERF with a 265 Rolls Royce, after about
9 months I was given a new E series ERF,I was like a dog with two tails!!!
I am still trying to sort out some photos from this era and when I do I shall
post them. My good friend Iain Wilkinson has a lot more photos than I do
so I hope he will respond to this prompt■■?

I used to have an ERF E10 that came from Onward. (Fleet No 383, G906JHD)

If you’ve got any photos of that, it would be nice to see them.

Sorry it took so long to find any pictures but here goes.The barrels outside the building are empties to go back to Stanlow, the sheeted load will probably be the aforementioned empties ready for shipping to Stanlow. The H &S brigade would have a fit if anyone tried to do this now as all the barrels are “on the roll” held in place by a back scotch with ropes attached. Kevmac47 PS the handsome brute is yours truly when I still had a little bit of hair left.

i can remember seeing a few of their motors ready to be sold off in bocs yard at barnsley in the mid 90s,i think boc had bought them out then disposed of the trucks.

Not sure were this picture is from but its one of Akworths continental trucks.

Onward took over part of Smith of Maddison and for a while their logo displayed “Onward for service”.

At one time Onward had the Thames Board contract with Robsons so they used to base a lot of lorries at Workington.

georgeking:
Onward took over part of Smith of Maddison and for a while their logo displayed “Onward for service”.

At one time Onward had the Thames Board contract with Robsons so they used to base a lot of lorries at Workington.

Right “George” guess who had the contract at The East Lancashire Paper Mill Co Ltd. in 1990 and got kicked out? and guess who took the contract over and knocked it into shape? Photo’s to follow!! Anon.

Remember seeing Onwards leyland buffalos regularly parked up at the old Grays lorry park… remember that? on London rd in the 70s

Bewick:

georgeking:

Right “George” guess who had the contract at The East Lancashire Paper Mill Co Ltd. in 1990 and got kicked out? and guess who took the contract over and knocked it into shape? Photo’s to follow!! Anon.

rich12:
i can remember seeing a few of their motors ready to be sold off in bocs yard at barnsley in the mid 90s,i think boc had bought them out then disposed of the trucks.

I think you’re right.

The ERF I bought showed BOC as the previous owner on the log book. I bought fleet no. 383 from a dealer in Coventry in 1996.

hiya,
Was’nt there another name in the group from way back same colours one word name, Yorkshire outfit plenty of motors can see them now the old grey matter won’t let me remember the name used to dig in the Caledonian Rd with one of their drivers and had a few bevvies with the lad think he was called Ray but not sure but it was the early 60s.
thanks harry long retired.

Great old firm with the traditional livery to match… More pics please, remember them very well, especially the B-series ERFs with the livery like the one on the Ackwortth GUY. I always used to think to myself how lucky i was when i used to see one of Onwards with a double-stacked sheeted load. When did they finish the transport…?

harry_gill:
hiya,
Was’nt there another name in the group from way back same colours one word name, Yorkshire outfit plenty of motors can see them now the old grey matter won’t let me remember the name used to dig in the Caledonian Rd with one of their drivers and had a few bevvies with the lad think he was called Ray but not sure but it was the early 60s.

hiya,
The other company which was an aquasition of the Ackworth/Onward group which ran in their colours but carried the name “Wheeler” pleased about that my brain was starting to hurt.

harry_gill:

harry_gill:
hiya,

hiya,
The other company which was an aquasition of the Ackworth/Onward group which ran in their colours but carried the name “Wheeler” pleased about that my brain was starting to hurt.

hi harry that would be wheeler rd-sheffield-------------alan

steptoe:

Why didnt they re route the air intake and bung a bit of storage on that cab?
Quality pic though.

Suedehead:

steptoe:

Why didnt they re route the air intake and bung a bit of storage on that cab?
Quality pic though.

Could this motor be the “Missing Link” ? Was it fitted with an 8LXB by any chance? The intrigue is that thick over the thread you could cut it with a knife!!!Someone must know ■■■■ it!!! I can here the chains rattling down in the SOM dungeon already, there’ll be a riot shortly I just know it!!! Bewick.

hiya,
Yes Dennis and if you look a little further back along this thread it mentions that Ackworth had a tie-in with SOM at one point,and that chicken nesting box nailed over the breather could be hiding those elusive two extra pots and if thats the case he’ll always have a warm bum at bedtime.

Guys

Onward had a depot in Stockport as well, Stakehill Industrial Estate If my memory serves me. Mainly Buffaloes and Crusaders based there.

In the mid 70s they used to store raw materials for Kelloggs in Trafford Park, and when working for JB Carriers we used to load there regularly for the short trip, mainly palletised saxks of bran, sugar, gluten etc.

Another job to there was to load 20t handball bran from either RHM or Spillers in Trafford Park on the old Atki, and unload at Onward passing the sacks down forthe lads to palletise for transit to Kelloggs. Kept us fit!

Happy days

Bob

harry_gill:
hiya,
Yes Dennis and if you look a little further back along this thread it mentions that Ackworth had a tie-in with SOM at one point,and that chicken nesting box nailed over the breather could be hiding those elusive two extra pots and if thats the case he’ll always have a warm bum at bedtime.

Hiya “H” I think this Guy 4 wheeler would have had a ■■■■■■■ 205/220 engine(or may-be a RR) I very much doubt that it had an 8 potter Gardner as I think the 8LXB had only come out in about '72 I think.I only suggested it might have had the 8 pot in to see if there was any abuse (or otherwise) from the SOM brigade but nothing doing there “H” Cheers Dennis.

harry_gill:

harry_gill:
hiya,

hiya,

Harry "Wheeler Road Transport " Cantley Road Sheffield had a few 4 wheelers mostly “Dodges” and they used to go to Liverpool Docks every morning leaving 0500 so were very good for a lift to the pool docks I got to know the drivers very well in the 60s as it was a regular lift for me :laughing: