Radclive transport

bestbooties:

mushroomman:
Wasn’t Pauline from Benchill near Manchester :question:

Correct.
I don’t think she was happy there,her old man was a [zb],used to knock her about I believe.I think if it hadn’t have been for the fact she had a kid,she would have got a lift out of there a bit sharpish!
You know what these Austrians,(Alpine Turks),are like with women.
Do you remember Mama at Spielfeld?.I heard her old man knocked her about as well.

That’s right Ian, I also felt sorry for her as I remember seeing her with a black eye that she was trying to hide by wearing a pair of sunglasses, indoors. Very often she would send over a free beer, on the house to any British driver who was on his own.
The story goes that she ended up in Salzburg as a teenager, after watching the film The Sound Of Music at a cinema in Manchester and thinking are there really places like that in the world. After travelling to Austria she got a job and met the son of the owners of Golling Services who she eventually married. As most of the drivers know he used to knock her about quite often and I can remember an old driver that I used to work with called Ken Singleton always feeling sorry for her.
Ken who was in his early sixties used to do a lot of Yugoslavia and would often call in there when ever he was passing.
Once when he was weekending Pauline appeared with yet another black eye at Sunday lunch time. Ken told her that if she packed one case and met him at his truck at 10 p.m. that night he would have her and the kid at her mothers house in Manchester by Tuesday evening, Ken waited until 11 p.m. but she did not turn up.
About a year ago I watched a film in which Caroline Quinton played a girl from Oldham who after watching The Sound Of Music had decided to travel to Salzburg. I wondered if this film had been inspired by somebody who had met Pauline.
On a brighter note I did hear that sometime later a Dutch driver gave Pauline’s husband a well deserved, overdue good smacking.
:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: