LHD Scammell Crusaders

I’ve always been a huge fan of Crusaders. I’ve been reluctant to declare it on here, partly because I felt that tilting cabs were a pre-requisite for ‘modern’ trucking. However, I just love this over-engineered beast with its Eagle 3 Rolls engine and Fuller ‘box. The 10-sp & related 15-sp ‘box were available in the earlier 220 Rolls versions and in the heavy haulage 305-powered 6x4s.

But the more modern and flexible 9-sp Fuller were standard on the 4x2 RHD versions with a 280 bhp RR Eagle and optional on both RHD and LHD versions of both the civilian and military versions of the 6x4 Crusader with the RR Eagle 305 engine.

They were pretty spartan inside compared with the ERF European NGC with the same Motor Panels cab (which tilted, by the way), but I would love to run one down to the Mediterranean and back for a one-off trip.

BRS obviously thought highly of them, or they wouldn’t have commissioned them in the first place. Nor would the British armed services, who used them for many years.
Wonderful lorries IMHO!