Scammell Crusader Brochures from about 1972

Just browsing through some old brochures I collected at the Commercial Motor Show in 1972 (or possibly 73) and I came across these Scammell brochures that I thought some of you might like to see. This is the first one in full.

Good to see them trying to woo the foreign buyers with the details in french and German.
This is the second one, full 1st page and just the photo’s from the other two.

:smiley: Nice Crusaders thanks. The TIR one with the day cab, I found amusing especially as it states two man 24 hr. :open_mouth: :confused: :laughing:

is the a.truder one at the bottom missing one half of the windscreen?

Am I right in thinking that the cabs did not tilt, but the radiator could be swung out to work on the engine?

i think (can’t read it well enough) the 6x4 with the tilt is MUR501H which I posted about a few weeks ago - don;t suppose there’s any clue as to the colours of it is there Dave, it being a B&W brochure?

No hint of the colour jj but I’ve just run my jewellers eye glass over it and it’s definitely MUR 501 H, where is your picture posted? and it does look like the o/s window is missing on the Truder unit, except the wiper is hanging in mid air! As for the cab, Howatsi, I don’t think it tilted and here’s a picture with the front grille open, from the same brochure.

Thanks for those interesting photos Dave particularly the one showing the
tipped bulker.
Slightly off the point of your post but these trailers, though frightening for a first
timer balancing on one back axle, were the best thing since sliced bread
when you got used to them. I never got bogged down with one as you
can ‘walk’ out of any mudhole by judicious use of tipping, lowering, and
disconnecting/reconnecting the trailer brakes. We were trying to remember the
name on another thread long ago - could be Hoyner? Anyone?
Right, end of hi-jack :unamused: , Crusader, although I never had one on a regular
basis, they were a great motor. But what about that lateral front silencer box?
Just made to get wacked off on the first bit of rough ground - and so noisy in
that position for the driver :open_mouth: . I had the same set-up on a Mk1 Atki years
ago and going through small villages early morning but after the milkman,
used to blow half the doorstep bottles over :blush: :unamused:

My dad used to work in a British Leyland garage as a truck salesman. He had all the current brochures of the day, Old Octopussys and Reivers. The star of the show was the new Marathon and Landtrain although that was a later model to go with the T45, (oh yea of little faith)

I had them all when he died but they have gone missing. I could have stuck them on Ebay I think

some great pictures there!!

I used to work for tony truder…hauling coal out of dagenham dock into tate and lyle…so brought back some memories of that firm…they were a tipper firm based in orpington…and after giving up transport…went into the van rental firm called Xtra van …the woman boss was his wife…and swore like any man i`ve ever heard…

the woman boss was his wife…and swore like any man i`ve ever heard…

I think i might be married to her sister, truckyboy :blush:

Spardo, could those trailers have been Cravens & Homalloy?

There was a london company which i think was called Reece. they operated a firm called Ollins Overland running to Iran in the seventies they had three Scammell Crusaders with rolls royce engines. one of there drivers had spikey hair and i think he was called Dave. One was a big blonde haired guy called Mick and the third was a coloured guy called Ron Roberts.If i remember correctly they also had an office in Teheran run by a guy called Barry . The trucks and trailers were painted Yellow and had two large O’s as a logo on the trailers.Regds Jamie.

Rattlesnake Dave:
[

No, not them, though I can’t discount the fact that more than one manufacturer made them.

Spardo:

Rattlesnake Dave:
[

No, not them, though I can’t discount the fact that more than one manufacturer made them.

I think it maybe a Hoyner from Braintree.

The trailer like that was a Hoyner when you tipped if you wanted the load all in one place you had to apply the trailer handbrake and the unit was pulled backwards as the trailer pivoted on the rear axle .

an old post i see , taken at a recent road run

Here`s 2 of Wrexham depots, the second one was a special order low cabbed model :laughing:

That low cab one, was that for car delivery by any chance.

no the cabs dont tilt but rad swings out an top of engine hump inside lifts,still a pain to work on at times tho.
i still have one myself and have been as far as alicante,prauge,keshcamet(h),skye, and as many other roadruns as poss.
a lovely motor,cant get enough,and no poxy stupid limiter,looks hard,a proper lorry indeed.

Propa Lorry… Can we see a picture of your Scammell please.