Scammell Crusader Brochures from about 1972

bubbleman has a tidy thread wi some crusaders on it,all clippings from transport mags,ive got the black one with the west coast style mirrors as me screen saver…always a joy to see it!only truck ive ever really wanted a drive of!brs swindon used to have a wrecker 6 wheeler,but dont think it was a runner when i saw it :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: would have mithered the life out of the garage for a drive :wink: theres a recovery firm in oldham with a recently refurbed green one,i put a pic of it on here somewhere?

dieseldog6:
Propa Lorry… Can we see a picture of your Scammell please.

hiya diesel dog,sorry i cant post any on here at the mo,but if you wanna go on ‘toprun.ch’ there are various bits to choose,festival of trucks 2006,uk to spain 2006,classic truck gaydon 2006,classic truck gaydon 2007 and trucker festival 2008,mine is the red n white 6 wheeler with coombe valley on.
also ‘ccmv fotopic.net’ there are some also,most show silver wheels n polished tanks,ive since resprayed the whole chassis, tanks n wheels the same red,
.this lorry is very special to me,i have others but the crusaders my first build.
mot on the 5th,then get it ready for next year.anyother questions i will be happy to answer.

Hiya PropaLorry, just thought id tuck into this thread to say that, your crusader has been a favorite of mine since the 1st time i saw it on the now defunct Millbank Run. it is, in my view, the best De-Mob job ive seen yet mate, looks a treat and is a credit to ya!! And ya right, those old motors were the last of the proper lookin lorries, they do look the part. Keep that Big Roller Rollin mate!

Propa Lorry… I know the one you mean, you’ve done a great job on that, they were always a favorite of mine , never got to drive one though.

STRAIGHT EIGHT:
Hiya PropaLorry, just thought id tuck into this thread to say that, your crusader has been a favorite of mine since the 1st time i saw it on the now defunct Millbank Run. it is, in my view, the best De-Mob job ive seen yet mate, looks a treat and is a credit to ya!! And ya right, those old motors were the last of the proper lookin lorries, they do look the part. Keep that Big Roller Rollin mate!

thanks for that,it always creats a lot of interest wherever i go,abroad its mainly confusion as to wot it is,in switserland they were well impressed especialy when i opened the front and showed them the rolls royce engine,they’d never seen anything like it.
next time you see me make sure you say hello.
do you have an old motor yourself

dieseldog6:
Propa Lorry… I know the one you mean, you’ve done a great job on that, they were always a favorite of mine , never got to drive one though.

oh you seen me then,like to get about as much as possible,a motor that you have to actually drive,its great bein able to overtake when i want to aswell,■■■■ limiters.
crusaders forever,ha ha.

Just browsing and came across the press photo of a Crusader in the livery of A.Truder…I remember it well

It just so happens, I was in the yard on the very day the photographer came, the Crusader had recently been delivered and had it’s paintwork and signwriting done. (Truder’s paint scheme was bright yellow and black btw). The Crusader was parked next to a mountain of road grit and salt which can just be seen to the left of the cab. In a couple of photos taken, I was actually sitting in the cab, sadly not in this photo though.

An earlier poster mentioned Pam the wife of Tony Truder, I will agree, her use of the old English language was far ahead of it’s time. Nowadays it is quite normal to hear girls swear but back then she could make brawny truckers blush.

TimC