Time for a change

Hi there , i have recently been made redundant from my job of 35 years due to this pandemic and i am considering getting into hgv driving.
I was lucky enough to be put through my hgv and passed class 1 in 1997, i predominantly used it for test driving customers vehicles to fault find gearbox problems.
It lapsed 4 years ago because the gaffa wouldn’t pay for my medical but to be fair i wasn’t driving very much by then . I took my medical a few weeks ago (while i was still in my car outside the doctors) and just got my new licence back , i know i have got to do a cpc and also get my digi card to be able to drive. Need to do a refresher course too to get into the swing of it . All in all about £1300ish to even get considered for a job . I am basically asking asking would you guys think that would be a good investment or like any other vacancies out there there are loads of applicants so wouldn’t get a look in because of no experience ?

cheers pete

Lots of variables. E.g. the lack of experience thing… not a problem at all. IF you are applying to jobs that nobody wants to do (e.g. heavy handball, working outside getting wet/muddy, sucking up rancid stinking sewage, dustcarts, recovery…)
You have class 1 but are you prepared to do class 2 work? Much more opportunity if you are willing to do both.
Around here (SE) the jobs market has rebounded somewhat and it’s quite easy again to walk in to a job that isn’t so great, but it’s a job. And that’s how you get experience that enables you to move on up. So I vote that you will find “a job”, but maybe not the perfect one for you straight away.

1300 seems a bit too much.
Your cpc should be under 500 and if u need lessons they usually charge 50 pounds per hour. If you find someone decent you should get it all done with lessons for about 800 max

Where about are you?

Daani:
1300 seems a bit too much.
Your cpc should be under 500 and if u need lessons they usually charge 50 pounds per hour. If you find someone decent you should get it all done with lessons for about 800 max
Where about are you?

Hi Daani , i was quoted £950 for 4x4hrs sessions and the cpc £308 by one place and £246 for 4hrs and £342 for cpc by another , i’m in the midlands , Wolverhampton.

I would suggest 3 or 4 hours with a good trainer. If you then decide you want more for comfort, then book some more. But I’m probably about right with 3 or 4 hours.

Take care, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hi guys , thanks for the reply’s , after a search on tinterweb i managed to get my CPC booked for £245 inc upload fees :smiley: , its all done via zoom,
The company is called Enterprise Transport Training . Rung a few training centres in my area and all of them are booked up until jan next year but one is looking to see if they have a couple of 2 hour slots available before then .

cheers pete