Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

PV83:
Pubquiz question… what is it…?

TruckNetUK . Old Time Lorries . Saviem’s Fan Club . Mystery Lorry . Page 261 . Thursday,3rd October,2019 . VALKYRIE .

I know exactly where the location of this mystery lorry is! :exclamation: :slight_smile: My birthtown-city of Sheffield! :exclamation: :slight_smile: The lorry is
travelling up upper High Street,near the top side of The Hole In The Road Subway System,which was at the junction of
lower and upper High Street,Arundel Gate and Angel Street in the city centre of Sheffield.
The Hole In The Road was filled in during the early 1990s to make way for the tracks of the SuperTram system.

It is very frustrating not knowing the make and model of the mystery lorry: The photograph isn’t that clear,but the registration appears to be 45 DWA of 1962 which is a Sheffield one,the tractive unit-artic lorry appears to be owned
by Thomas W.Ward,which is a famous Sheffield engineering company. It is doubly-frustrating for me,1. because of my
close connections with Sheffield,2.this lorry was based in Sheffield,3.I never saw it - so near yet so far! :exclamation: :unamused: and 4.
I never knew of it’s existence until I saw PV83’s above post! :exclamation: :unamused:
Now I might be wrong,but the mystery lorry might have originally been a military vehicle in service with the British
military,sold at the Ruddington Surplus Military Vehicle Sales to T.W.Ward who had it re-built as a tractive unit with
a locally ? :question: - produced cab . It would have been cheaper for Ward’s buying a lorry this way instead of buying a brand
new purpose-built tractive unit… military vehicles are well looked after,many have low mileages and are virtually
new. Second-hand military vehicles are big business and this was probably even more the case in the 1950s,1960s and
1970s… when there were possibly more dealers in ex-military vehicles then than what there is now? :question:
It is interesting to note that many World War Two military vehicles were still being released into Civvy Street in the
1960s and 1970s! :exclamation: :slight_smile:
Anyway,if the mystery lorry was indeed an British ex-military vehicle the make and model could be a Leyland Hippo,or
an AEC Militant,or a Thornycroft Big Ben…or whatever.
But I must say that I could be wrong about it’s origin and identity :slight_smile: However,I’m not wrong as to the identities of
other motor vehicles in the same photograph: A Sunblest Bread operated lorry,based in Hillsborough,Sheffield,is ahead
of the mystery lorry,a Ford D-Series Lorry is following the mystery tractive unit,an AEC,or Albion,or Leyland Ergomatic-
cabbed artic lorry in the distance and an AEC Bridgemaster Double Decker Omnibus of Sheffield Corporation
Transport,which could be part of the Lord Mayor’s Parade,including the Ergomatic tractive unit.

Mystery Lorry,45 DWA,owned by Thomas W.Ward,Sheffield,I think.Lord Mayor’s Parade near the bottom of High Street,near The Hole In The Road,Sheffield city centre.PV83,TruckNetUK,Saviem’s Fan Club,261,2-10-2019.1#

VALKYRIE