Any old promotor drivers around

kmills:
A little anecdote re ex-Promotor Scania B267DHK.

In about 1992/3 my Dad was driving B267 for Harrier Express, and had stopped for a cuppa in the big layby on the A40 just outside Oxford.
He was letting the motor cool down, and was about to pull the stop cable (remember them things haha), and jump out, when all of a sudden - BANG.

Turned out that a wheel had come off a passing truck and hit the drive axle wheels on B 267, literally seconds before he climbed out of the cab. Surprisingly, there wasn’t too much damaged, just the outside wheel & tyre, and the mudguard and it’s support arms - luckily the fuel tank wasn’t damaged.

Now, I’m pretty sure ( I can’t remember exactly) , but I think that the truck that lost the wheel, was one of Promotor’s - ironic to say the least, if it is the case.

Cheers, Keith

Morning Keith
I’ve found the culprit for you. Of course no one would recognise him now. See the attached photo, its the little fella. It was, believe it or not, my son Christopher who was aged about twenty six at the time of the incident. I was in the office when he returned and Tom Miles our mechanic came and told me there had been a little problem and that the trailer had come off and careered into another lorry which happened to be one we had sold a year or two before. Caused quite a laugh in the yard and was a good topic of conversation for months afterwards. The lorry Christopher was driving that day was one of our rigid two car covered in transporters and towing a single car open trailer behind it. I always thought it was the trailer, not a wheel, that had come off and hit your dads lorry in the lay-by and I have just rung Christopher to confirm it. It seems there had been problems with the lorries brakes and Christopher had reported it to Tom earlier in the day. They were snatching on and off and as he braked near the lay-by on the A40 the next thing he knew was the trailer was overtaking him on the inside where the entrance to the lay-by was. It seems the alloy ball hitch had snapped off. Certainly your dad and a few other drivers helped winch the trailer up into the back of the lorry to enable him to drive back to the yard.