Volvo North America & 'Adaptive Loading'

Oh a new Volvo feature I think as I press play on the video, only to find a lift axle being described! Is north America only now discovering lift axles?! ‘It goes up and down automatically’ says the salesman! Wowsers…such a remarkable feature :smiley:

twitter.com/volvotrucksna/statu … 21664?s=21

Adaptive loading system seems a bit long winded to me, I know we could call it a midlift :wink:

I’ve read that midlift axles are banned in parts of North America, particularly those which can be lifted while driving. Overwhelmingly long-distance trucks are 6x4 with a tandem trailer. Max weights are still 36T! I wonder how they stay in business especially given that the cabs are a lot heavier than ours with those motorhome cabs.

IndigoJo:
I wonder how they stay in business especially given that the cabs are a lot heavier than ours with those motorhome cabs.

I don’t think they are that much heavier, if at all believe it or not. If you see them vibrating down a rough interstate they wobble so much they look like they are made of tissue paper!

Volvo do make a lift axle 6x4 now so that’s probably it

They’ll be raving about them on trailers too in a few years :laughing:

Soon the Americans, will have 3axle trailers on air and super singles, 24v electrical systems, disc brakes, and say they invented it…Who says the spanks are a backward nation.

Technology here is decades behind Europe . When we came here in 05 they were still getting excited about air ride trailers , disc brakes on trucks are still in the minority , and only in recent years have they realised that aerodynamic vehicles get better economy .
If you get the chance to look closely at a American truck , judge the build quality against anything European , it’s very poor .

I was told by a friend living out there that the Volvo vnl wasn’t popular because there aren’t enough dials and switches on the dash for our American cousins :smiley:

Looks like it’s more a Volvo thing as air lift axle have been in use in the U.S for yrs .

Spoke to a Freightliner sales rep,while in Canada,was asking him about the whole tech thing.He said that all the technology is great,and they all agree its the way forward,but even ABS/ASR etc doesnt work in all circumstances. What he meant was the extreme variations in temperature N American trucks can experience. Leaving NW Canada heading to mid west of the US,may take different grades of diesel,from start to finish.ie non waxing diesel to high temperature stuff. What he said made sense. Cab heaters are still a novelty,would rather run an engine all night. Aircon pods!!!!!! :smiley: Still cant understand it mind you.

Guy I worked with emigrated to cananda about 8/10 years ago and he said the haulage companies over there were just getting ABS not EBS but ABS which we had about 30 years ago if not longer.
Ive seen a few pics of yank tractors burnt out and there was nowt left of the cabs as they appear to be all alloy construction.