Buses, coaches, & lorries

Ray Smyth:
This Ailsa Volvo bus is seen near the end of Station Road in Wigan, in the early 1980s.
It is painted in the orange and white livery of Greater Manchester Transport.
The second picture is taken from approximately the same spot recently. The engine
in this bus was at the front, immediately to the left of the driver, so it had a drivers
cab door on the offside, reminiscent of thousands of “Half Cab” buses from the past.
Click on 1st picture twice for better image. Ray Smyth.

Below is a picture link to one of the prototype Volvo Ailsa buses delivered to London Transport as V3. As can be seen the bus had two entrances and two staircases. The picture is taken during its unveiling at North Weald bus rally in 2007. I had been part of the team involved in the restoration of this bus during the preceding 12 months. 12 years on I can’t recall a great deal other than it had required new oil seals and gaskets for its non-standard for the type SCG gearbox, and having to drain all the oil out of its leaking and unobtainable front lever arm dampers so that it would pass MOT.

What I do recall clearly follows. I went home Friday night seemingly having finished all that was required for its inaugural surprise public revellation. Apparently on Saturday it was moved out of the workshop for a final wash and polish. That achieved by late morning my fellow henchman Paul found it would not start. IIRC accessing the starter motor on an Ailsa is quite a challenge, but not quite as great a challenge as finding a replacement on a Saturday afternoon. It was not until Sunday afternoon when the much anticipated bus finally arrived, that the full story emerged about Paul’s journey to I think Barnsley, in order to obtain a functioning replacement and its wee small hours re installation.

britishmodelbuses.com/Real_b … _Large.jpg