Guy

5thwheel:

Bewick:

moomooland:

kevmac47:
My personal opinion of the “Big J”? admittedly on very short acquaintance with the dog, it was diabolical!! Uncomfortable, noisy,( worse than an Atki) difficult to get in and out and gutless, but I will say it had a poxy Gardner in it. Not a patch on an Atkinson or a Mandator, or even a Leyland Beaver!! :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: my tin hat is firmly fixed. :smiley: Regards Kev.

Agree with you there Kev.
The bloke that designed it should have been made to drive the first one they built from Wolverhampton to Wick and back!
Had he done so i imagine when he returned he would have immediately set to work back at his drawing board.

Well said Dennis,your comments are predominantly based on being an operator as opposed to a driver,from my driver perspective,the Guy Big J was a good reliable motor,that would get you and your load from A to B,the only time one let me down was when it popped a windscreen out on the Crooklands car park whilst attended a change over with “Tom Thumb”,a Maddiston driver who was running late due to fuel problem with his Seddon,so I drove north from Garstang to meet him to save time,and as Sod’s law would have it,he had 20 ton of latex which had to go straight down to Market Drayton,that was a l o n g night!

David

Well I’ll be……….! That was the only fault that I found with the Big J, apart from having no skin on my left hand! My screen popped out between Beaconsfield and Slough one afternoon. The windscreen fitter was with me in about 20 minutes with a screen from an ERF A-series. They were the same part number and I was on my way in less than an hour of the occurrence.