Atlas express

Hi all. As a teenager I used to go with my dad who drove for Nottingham as a night trunker. Dad always let me shunt in the yards we went to, & I got hooked on lorries & Cargos in particular. Saturday mornings I’d cycle the 5 or so miles into the depot & take pics of the units. My dads first was TAY 866R, then NFP 163T, then KNR 980V then TAY 534X, all D series 2417’s. Then came his first new one, a Cargo VAY 927X, 2517. As the weights went up a batch of 2820 Cargos were sent in. These were real flying machines with the uprated Perkins V8 640’s & 8 speed range change box. Dad copped for A94 MHK, & was put on Cardiff trunk, which A94 ate up the miles. Off the clock was no problem at 28 tonnes, it was such a nice unit. Smooth powerful & sleek looking compared to all the other units. Funny how I can remember most of the unit reg numbers from back then, but couldn’t tell you my trucks reg number today!! Looking back it was a great company, with some real characters. Danny Tauer, Colin Reynolds, Tony Peace, Don McCubbin, Brian Weatherley, all the night trunk lads. Barry Watson who was a day man was such a funny bloke to be around. I’ve lots of pics, if anyone can tell me how to post them up! This site seems a little complicated.