Compare the UK trucking to Canadian

MGR1610:
Rather than start another Canada thread I’ll ask here, if you find a company employing that have lmia’s do they have people that will help you sort everything out to get out there and get the licence or do they basically say sort x y and z out yourself and be in the yard on this date to start?

What did you do for an address for the time you where living in the truck?

It all depends on the company. Some do it all for you, some point you in the right direction to do most of it yourself and others want you to do everything and come back once its done.

The company I came across with charged us something like $3000 each and for that we got accommodation provided and unlimited use of a truck and trailer to practice on for the test, plus they paid for all the tests etc. They also let us use the workshop pickup to get around in without restriction. This worked great for me as I came across alone as a bit of an adventure and didn’t want to outlay even more money on an apartment, furniture, a car etc until I knew if I was going to stay or not, so whilst the initial fee they charged seemed a bit steep, it was cheaper than it would otherwise have cost me to do it all independently, especially if you factor in paying a driving school to get you through the test etc, which would be several hundred if not a thousand or so in itself.

I also lived in my truck for the best part of two years and I used the companies address, so all my mail just got put in my drivers box. Some companies don’t let you do this, some do.