Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

Buzzer:
Hi all knowing Saviem likes a tipple it made me wonder that in all the time he spent in France he must have sampled Calvados. Remembering my first trip with a truck to Amiens with synthetic rubber shipping via Caen in the early 70’s, being led by two seasoned International drivers. At the evening meal stop they introduced me to Calvados or rather café / calva as it was known, first to sip a little the rest into the coffee. My father who spoke fluent French and had many associates within France one being a farmer who once a year was visited by the travelling still and what ever amount needed doing was done, this I might add was vastly more potent than the bottle variety that you could buy, sometimes put through the process twice so was bordering on rocket fuel, don’t know if it is still done today, cheers Buzzer.

Afternoon all,

Ah Buzzer, Calvados…that silk like liquid dynamite first distilled by the Norman Knights…not to give them courage in battle, but to “vacate” their bowls in order that they could consume yet more food!!! …Ex Lax never tasted so good!..probably stopped their armour rusting as well as promoting their amor!!!

But a wonderful distillate…the farm just outside of Pont LEveque where I lived whilest based at Blainville had their own , distilled via a mobile still and matured over several years…could apples ever taste so good in any other way? I never had any trouble sleeping whil`st I lived there!

Saviem had a vast quantity of especially boxed Calvados as give aways for our clients. The boxes were printed to resemble a typical wood frame Norman building, the contents were even more charming to consume!

Now it came to pass that dear old Berliet had dramatically under estimated the market demand for the 266 hp TR280 tractor unit following the launch of the TR305. The excess capacity was parked around Venissieux site, and overspill at Valbonne test circuit…yes there were a few! But my colleagues in International sales were beavering away at this problem, and we received a high power delegation of six from Poland`s Pekaes operation…The lorries were ideal for them…well they all had yellow cabs!..and yours truly was roped into the welcome delegation.

None spoke French, but several had English, and a great sense of fun…and hollow legs when it came to alcohol! We had the formal dinners, presentations, and of course the pleading and bargaining…and before they left their top man asked if they could see the Blainville plant…so onto a plane for Paris, and a swish, (Saviem), bus down to Caen…all well lubricated…

Now those of you that know the Blainville plant, know it is a rather cold and unattractive facility sandwiched as it is betwixt the River Orne, and the Canal, where rain, and cold wind is the daily receipe in winter…like Poland only warmer I was told! Night life in Caen is somewhat limited…so I took the delegation to my local café where I knew that there would be music, (an Accordian band, made up of two Slaughter men from the local Abbotoir, and the refrigerated lorry driver from the same emporium), plus a big fire, good company, and no lack of alcohol…except that there was when we finally left…the Poles having drunk the Café`s entire stock of Calvados, and most of the rest of their alcohol!..(I drank, and ate there for free many times as a gesture of gratitude from the owner).

Before bidding them farewell from Paris, I gave each a bottle of Saviem Calvados…bet not many full ones landed in Poland…Oh, and a surprisingly large number of TR280s went off to Pakaes…as well as some Serie Js…lovely way to do business…wonder what “we” were paid for the TRs…Coal, or Wheat?..It could have been either as a straight swop…that’s international trade pre the fall of the Iron Curtain!

Sammyopposites picture of the orange ZTE TG Willeme is another French lorry, (one of two), that went to Poland, (and look at those Iron Curtain front tyres on the 8x8 TG250 tonner). Funny Perez et Raimonds, (who built the TGs under a licence after the demise of Willeme), records show them both as V serie Detroit powered, but that 335 painted on the grille would indicate one of Mr ■■■■■■■ motors in it. But look at the 8x8 Faun behind, I think she is still running for them, (now Randon), big old lump that! But a real pair of classic heavy haulers!

Blooming memories,

Cheerio for now…be careful around the Calvados!