Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

Fergie47:
Questions…to the “Professors”…

When an engine is " built under licence" for instance, like Bernard did with the Gardner, who actually built it, an engine manufacturer, or, in this case Bernard themselves…and what exactly did they manufacture, the engine, (block, heads, crank, pistons bell housing, sump etc) less all the ancillaries, or did that include the fuel pump…I’m guessing the starter, dynamo, injectors were “off the shelf” standard stuff, I.e. Lucas…but, just who built, and exactly what was " built under licence"… :question: :question: :question:

Merci

With the exception of Ford’s UK Dagenham plant in the day for example even an ‘in house’ manufacturing operation will often involve a lot of sub contracted outsourcing of component manufacturing.

Which in this case probably translated as the ‘licence’ just meaning payment for the intellectual property rights contained in the design drawings for the engine components and then distributing them to Bernard’s relevant sub contractors like foundry and possibly some machining operations depending on the level of facilities available in house.

While personally I think the idea is counter productive in handing over an export advantage to foreign competitors thereby costing jobs and economic growth in the domestic economy.