ERF 'European' (1975)

This photo was taken in Jeddah in late 1976 when S Jones of Aldridge started a company called Trans Arabia in partnership with an Arab company. We started with 6 brand new 7mw 4x2 units, 1 5mw which had been on the Aldridge fleet and 3 LV units. They were used on general haulage throughout the kingdom of Saudi Arabia. The 7mws were 14 ltr small cam 290 with 13sp fullers and kirkstall 13ton drive axles. They performed really above and beyond what they were built for, as when loaded with 2x20ft boxes the gross weight was regularly in excess of 50 ton

7mw taking a break in the dessert (Driver: Gypsy Dave)

7mw pulling a road train somewhere near Jeddah port. They would also pull them all over the kingdom with some serious weight on

7mw loading a boat

5mw ex S Jones also loading a boat

A 5mw which was brought 2nd hand from Europe and put through the Aldridge workshop before being sent out to Jeddah. During my time out in the Middle East for Trans Arabia, we had the 6 original 7mw plus one we purchased 2nd hand in Jeddah which was sent back to Aldridge for refurbishing. Then there were 3 second hand ones and a 5mw, all refurbed and sent out plus the 2 Eric Vick 7mw were purchased and came out to Jeddah in early 1983.

I do have quite a few pics which I will post as time (and my son, who is typing this right now) allows