ERF 'European' (1975)

John,

Your feedback as well as input is highly appreciated! Thus this thread is getting very
informative and active! Keep up the good work!

Will proceed with an excel-file putting ‘everything’ together…

A-J

Unfortunately I do not know the origins of Louis Delcon transport company.
I do know that in the sixties he was driving a lot for " de Boerenbond" and doing a lot of agricultural material and fertilizer, delivering in Belgium and abroad.

I will try to contact older family members to see if I can find out more info…
Regards
Johan

Hey,the last, was told this are Belgian drivers so think could it be a Belgian White but■■?

Bye Eric,

3300John:
Hiya …i notice more photos have been posted while i was printing mine.on the tar sprayer
lorry which looks to have a one piece screen…WOW thats worth some money to the right person.
if you look closely at the mw cabs some have 2 flat screen like the Crusader. others have a two
piece screen like a crusader but curved and some have a single curved screen…NO i have no idea why.
Back to the tar sprayer look at the roof above the screen there,s a rusty section about 9inches wide
also above the door is another section (rusty) this roof before the sections was spot welded in would
have been a Guy big J or Seddon day cab roof.the lorry has big j doors which have been shortened
at jennings and a step has been made to fit under the short door. its a late model lorry as its got
7inch headlights. the lorry seems to have the automatic vented grill usually fitted to the ■■■■■■■
engined lorries. the tar sprayer would be a slow moving vehicle so would most likely need the vented
air intake with a dynair fan for cooling.
John

Hi John. The tar sprayer looks like a two-piece 'screen to me. All the 5MWs I can find on the internet have these, but all the 7MW Europeans have one 'screen. Here are some photos of what appears to be a superb restoration of one:
flickrhivemind.net/Tags/erf,mw/Timeline

Hiya

3300John:
Hiya …nice photo’s there anorak…its a long time since i saw a cab like that,
You can see how we modified the roof section, that was hand done at first
then motorpanels did them when the cab shell was assembled at coventry,
at jennings we still made all the interior steel work like the floor bonnets and
bunk area, I would have liked to seen the cab with no internals just for old time
sake.
John

4408777997_31a30efc4f_z.jpg

4408778179_53d33f305e_z.jpg

4408778339_980e9b7fd1_z.jpg

Like these, John?^^^ :smiley: Some of the later photos in the group show the sleeper area:
flickr.com/photos/38338612@N … otostream/
It looks like this restorer has made the difficult compound-curved corner bits out of two or three smaller panels, then ■■■■-welded them together with a full seam, using a standard garage MIG: a very time-consuming and skilled job. Presumably, Jennings got these bits by simply cutting them out of a new Motor Panels roof.

How many cabs did Jennings make, before Motor Panels took over? Did MP do it the same way, or did they modify the press tools to make the individual panels without having to chop up already-made rooves etc?

Hiya …

John,

Albert’s ERF-Continental is on page 2, but I guess you’ll input something new on his one?

Would anyone refresh/confirm my mind on the European…to prevent something will be
written/said which is not correct…MV stands for cab for axle-version set front (as common
in NZ en Australia) whereas MW stands for axle-version set back? Further 7MW had a tilt cab
compared to it’s predecessor 5MW? I understand out of earlier threads that for the NGC-series
(which is a vehicle-type and not a cab-type) still the MW-cab was applied, however for ■■■■■■■■
purposes the round form (as well as height) was changed and the front was altered?

Would appreciate your feedback, input, confirmation or corrections very much!

Nice (Sun-)day all, A-J
Question: who knows regular users of the European out of Germany and France?

Hiya…

ERF-Continental:
John,

Albert’s ERF-Continental is on page 2, but I guess you’ll input something new on his one?

HIYA…Alberts lorry is on page one its in John Simmonds livery.
the one on the other page is a question about Alberts lorry thats why Alberts is geh a stoke
number plate. it was supplied by beaches garage(Edwards Brothers)the previous lorry that
Albert had was a Belgium Cab that was bought by Turner brothers from Buxton when Albert
sold his European cab he run a left hand drive B series, that was bought by an ex work pal of
mine who set up on his own named Andrew Thompson who was a salesman at Malcom Harrison Commercials.

Would anyone refresh/confirm my mind on the European…to prevent something will be
written/said which is not correct…MV stands for cab for axle-version set front (as common
in NZ en Australia) whereas MW stands for axle-version set back? Further 7MW had a tilt cab
compared to it’s predecessor 5MW? I understand out of earlier threads that for the NGC-series
(which is a vehicle-type and not a cab-type) still the MW-cab was applied, however for ■■■■■■■■
purposes the round form (as well as height) was changed and the front was altered?

Would appreciate your feedback, input, confirmation or corrections very much!

Nice (Sun-)day all, A-J
Question: who knows regular users of the European out of Germany and France?

Thank you John for ‘educating’ me more thoroughly!

I meanwhile found the Shell-tanker, welcome addition
for which I will tray to make a scan for here.

Nice day,

A-J

This photo was taken in Jeddah in late 1976 when S Jones of Aldridge started a company called Trans Arabia in partnership with an Arab company. We started with 6 brand new 7mw 4x2 units, 1 5mw which had been on the Aldridge fleet and 3 LV units. They were used on general haulage throughout the kingdom of Saudi Arabia. The 7mws were 14 ltr small cam 290 with 13sp fullers and kirkstall 13ton drive axles. They performed really above and beyond what they were built for, as when loaded with 2x20ft boxes the gross weight was regularly in excess of 50 ton

7mw taking a break in the dessert (Driver: Gypsy Dave)

7mw pulling a road train somewhere near Jeddah port. They would also pull them all over the kingdom with some serious weight on

7mw loading a boat

5mw ex S Jones also loading a boat

A 5mw which was brought 2nd hand from Europe and put through the Aldridge workshop before being sent out to Jeddah. During my time out in the Middle East for Trans Arabia, we had the 6 original 7mw plus one we purchased 2nd hand in Jeddah which was sent back to Aldridge for refurbishing. Then there were 3 second hand ones and a 5mw, all refurbed and sent out plus the 2 Eric Vick 7mw were purchased and came out to Jeddah in early 1983.

I do have quite a few pics which I will post as time (and my son, who is typing this right now) allows

And here the picture John mentioned on the MW for Shell-South Africa, one of fifty delivered

ERF-MW4-Shell.jpg

Some pictures for a good start of Sunday-evening! Deleted as they don’t belong on this thread

And now for dinner, but first this wrecker of Beresford! Input does not belong to this thread, sorry

Good pics cookie ,how about posting some of your JC trucking days ,Dan.

Dan Punchard:

Seconded. Some great photos and information about (arguably) ERF’s finest work coming in now. After the rubbish I posted earlier, we get two pics of one-'screen 5MWs. I should have known better- I remember a painting of the log carrier in the most well-thumbed lorry book in my collection, The Ladybird Book of Commercial Vehicles. That and the artic on the docks look like South African vehicles.

[zb]
anorak:

Dan Punchard:

Seconded. Some great photos and information about (arguably) ERF’s finest work coming in now. After the rubbish I posted earlier, we get two pics of one-'screen 5MWs. I should have known better- I remember a painting of the log carrier in the most well-thumbed lorry book in my collection, The Ladybird Book of Commercial Vehicles. That and the artic on the docks look like South African vehicles.

Glad you like this input…the picture of the log carrier came from front cover of ERF-brochure and the picture in the docks from
the back of also a ERF-brochure.

By the way…if 4MV and 4MW reflects to respectively day-/-sleeper and access behind front axle and 5MV and 5MW reflects to respectively
day-/-sleeper and access before front axle, would 6MV and 6MW reflect to tilt cab as is the case with 7MV and 7MW?

Nice evening!

A-J

cookie1:
A 5mw which was brought 2nd hand from Europe and put through the Aldridge workshop before being sent out to Jeddah. During my time out in the Middle East for Trans Arabia, we had the 6 original 7mw plus one we purchased 2nd hand in Jeddah which was sent back to Aldridge for refurbishing. Then there were 3 second hand ones and a 5mw, all refurbed and sent out plus the 2 Eric Vick 7mw were purchased and came out to Jeddah in early 1983.

I do have quite a few pics which I will post as time (and my son, who is typing this right now) allows

Great pictures there cookie1 and some real history from the front line.

Nice to know where those two EV’s ended up, but they would have done some work before getting to you; they were on a 9 or 10 trip per year schedule with the driver having just a week off between trips if he was lucky.

get that son of yours typing. :smiley:

ERF-Continental:
And now for dinner, but first this wrecker of Beresford!

Just to say, that beresford wrecker is an imposter! :smiley: At a vintage show back in the early 90s, I crawled underneath that very vehicle and found a Foden 12 speed gearbox. I have reason to believe it was a 5mw cab fitted on a Foden chassis. I will have to speak to an old mate of mine who worked for Beresfords and would’ve seen this vehicle.