Minibus Entitlements

So. I’ve got a D on my licence enabling me to drive any passenger carrying vehicle with more than 8 seats.

However, I’ve also got a D1 which has the codes of 101 and 119.

101 is Not for Hire & Reward - 119 states Weight Limit Does Not Apply.

Now. If we ignore the minor fact that the D outranks the D1 enabling me to drive any PCV 8+ seats, does this mean that I can drive a 12t minibus with 12 seats?

The reason I ask this is that in the regulations the weight limit applicable to minibuses, stating up to 3.5t is ONLY applicable for people who passed their test after a certain date.

A friend has a bus that has had most of the seats removed and now only contains something like 10 seats. He has a D1 and passed his test in the 80s. He also has a CE so probably D1E too.

So, what say you? :wink:

Saratoga:
Now. If we ignore the minor fact that the D outranks the D1 enabling me to drive any PCV 8+ seats, does this mean that I can drive a 12t minibus with 12 seats?

Why ignore it? D allows you to drive any PCV so I can’t see why not, unless I’ve missed something. AIUI the weight limits mentioned only apply to D1 not D.

Because the friend in question has a D1 and not a D.

I have the D, hence I said to ignore it.

But, I wanted to know if his entitlements allowed him to drive a 12 ton bus with under 16 seats (that bring the classification into minibus and not bus).

Saratoga:
… the friend in question has a D1 and not a D.

But, I wanted to know if his entitlements allowed him to drive a 12 ton bus with under 16 seats (that bring the classification into minibus and not bus).

YES - But it does depend for what purpose

Certainly not for hire and reward, but he has his CE but only a D1 and wants to drive his 30 year old semi-auto bus with it :wink:

Saratoga:
Certainly not for hire and reward, but he has his CE but only a D1 and wants to drive his 30 year old semi-auto bus with it :wink:

Under certain circumstances that could be driven on a B licence …
direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Dr … DG_4022619