D1 Licence

Today I saw a minibus on L plates and I had the following thought.

I hold category D1 which entitles me to drive a minibus of 9-16, however it has the 101 restriction - not for hire or reward.

In theory could I hire a minibus take and drive it to the test centre and complete a D1 test? If so presumably I’d be able to drive it away afterwards even if I’d just failed the test to drive it. :laughing:

I don’t actually want to do this, it was just a funny thought.

8wheels:
I hold category D1 which entitles me to drive a minibus of 9-16, however it has the 101 restriction - not for hire or reward.

In theory could I hire a minibus take and drive it to the test centre and complete a D1 test? If so presumably I’d be able to drive it away afterwards even if I’d just failed the test to drive it.

Nothing to stop you doing that but you would need to pass the theory modules 1a & 1b before doing the practical module 3 on-road test and pass initial PCV driver cpc modules 2 & 4 to lose that 101 restriction.

I know you’re not planning to do it, but just out of interest, the minibus has to comply with the DSA minimum test vehicle requirements. They are a bit strange and catch a lot of “private entries” out. Info on DSA website if it’s of any interest at all. :laughing: :laughing:

Another thought! (I must get out more). This is even dafter. If you pass your class 2 before 1997, you have CE restricted to drawbar. Yes, you can drive your drawbar into the test centre - put L plates on it - take the test and drive it home whether or not you’ve passed. But assuming you pass, you can then drive an artic. Happy days :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
Another thought! (I must get out more). This is even dafter. If you pass your class 2 before 1997, you have CE restricted to drawbar. Yes, you can drive your drawbar into the test centre - put L plates on it - take the test and drive it home whether or not you’ve passed. But assuming you pass, you can then drive an artic. Happy days :laughing: :laughing:

Incorrect. If you passed your cat C (class 2 disappered around 1991) before 1997 you’d just get a cat C the same as anyone passing today. The drawbar restriction was issued when the licences were upgraded to the ‘new’ style which as I said was around 1991 :slight_smile:

I was wrongly under the impression that the change from the HGV system to the present LGV system was 1997 - I learned something new today - thanks

ROG:
I was wrongly under the impression that the change from the HGV system to the present LGV system was 1997 - I learned something new today - thanks

There were two directives, the second in 1997 refered to the two part testing ie C before CE, photocard licences and other changes with entitlements. The first directive was 1/6/90 (not 1991 as I originally thought) and replaced the separate HGV/ PCV licence. (source FTA yearbook)

Yes, you’re right. Hands up - shoot me now! Rog hasn’t got exclusive rights to senior moments! :laughing: :laughing:

you are right about the drawbar test though, a friend of mine did it, he owned his wag and drag and wanted an artic so he took his test in the wagon he’d been driving for years and can drive a regular artic. seems like a money making excerise to me cos if youve got a drawbar licence then you have already passed your test in a drawbar vehicle once so why do you need to do it again?

I can drive D1 without any restrictions, can also drive D1+E, D and D+E without any restrictions, and its not one of those silly little teflon* licenses either :grimacing:

• teflon licence = non stick :laughing: :laughing:

wood73:
seems like a money making excerise to me cos if youve got a drawbar licence then you have already passed your test in a drawbar vehicle once so why do you need to do it again?

Most of those with the CE drawbar restriction on their licence did not pass a drawbar test - they were given it for free with their HGV rigid licence

Thanks for the replies, although I never considered the CPC bollox bit. It’d have been quite funny to have done it before all that came in though.