Confused! Category question

Hey chaps, got my licence back today and it seems although I got the Cat C they haven’t removed the D restriction ( 78 ) :imp: Is this the norm these days… maybe another excuse to charge for the privilege to drive a stick bus? Also it has the D1 with a 101 code not for hire or reward… WTF is going on, I hold D :imp: surely that should cover D1…

Don’t understand whats going on… any idea chaps?

Dusty321:
Also it has the D1 with a 101 code not for hire or reward… WTF is going on, I hold D :imp: surely that should cover D1…

I wouldn’t be concerned with this, most CE holders still have a restriction (to 8250kgs) against their C1E but the CE overrides it.

Hiya,

As far as I know your D entitlement should now be unrestricted - I’d call DVLA straight away tomorrow morning and ask them what’s going on.

There’s no way the D entitlement should still have the automatics only restriction.

With regard to your D1 entitlement still having the 101 - that will never be deleted…however, if your D entitlement was unrestricted then that’d take priority because the DVLA class PCV entitlements as such:

D1 - Vehicles with between nine and sixteen passenger seats with a trailer up to 750kg, and

D - Any bus with more than eight passenger seats with a trailer up to 750kg

D entitlement states any vehicle with more than 8 passenger seats…which means that the D1 entitlement with the 101 restriction wouldn’t matter because you’d have the D category to superseed the D1’s 101 restriction.

But make sure you call DVLA about that D restriction still being in place, the C entitlement should immediately take presedence and remove the restriction.

Richard
:slight_smile:

This gives me a chance to ask a similar question.

When my licence comes back from DVLA, will I get B+E for free now I’ve got C+E?
It’s a post 97 licence, so I didn’t get B+E for free, will I have to take a course to do B+E as well? Or will I have the odd situation that I can tug along 30 tonne trailers with an artic, but not pull a decent trailer with a car?

allikat wrote:-

When my licence comes back from DVLA, will I get B+E for free now I’ve got C+E?
It’s a post 97 licence, so I didn’t get B+E for free, will I have to take a course to do B+E as well? Or will I have the odd situation that I can tug along 30 tonne trailers with an artic, but not pull a decent trailer with a car?

C+E is a higher licence than B+E so covers you for that category as well.

just to clarify this for all of you :slight_smile:

There are 2 parts to a licence.

PART 1 - Your original CAR test and all the catagories that you were given at that time.
These remain the same until you are VERY OLD :smiley: :laughing:

PART 2 - Upgrades to the licence for which you took another test.
These are subject to certain criteria being met periodically.

Both are listed in case you do meet the criteria of the second part and lose the entitlement to use them.

losing the entitlement to any or all of the second part will not affect the first part.

ROG:
Both are listed in case you do meet the criteria of the second part and lose the entitlement to use them.

Tosh Rog. I know what you’re saying and it should be the case, but the DVLA is good at making a pig’s ear of it. Mine still needs to go back and get sorted properly.