Yabba Dabbah Dooooh - I'm on my way!

I did it !
I passed my class 2 this Saturday !!!

I still can’t quite belive it my self. I’m a lorry driver. Me ? Wow…
It’s a dream come through. I don’t know what to say really. I’m just so happy.

I was lucky, or call it stubborn. First I got NO from everybody at the jobcentre, there was no way they would help me financially getting my license. I even asked if I could get a loan and pay it all back when I got into a job. But NO,- here they’d rather see people on the list of unemployed. Then I got (zb) off and stubborn, ( as you do ), and I went on to the website for the National Assembly ( Welsh) and found out about a scheme called Work Based Learning for Addults under ETMA - Llanelli rural Council. Now with prints in hand I went back to the jobcentre and TOLD them to refer me to this scheme, because I now knew that I was indeed entittled to this. Much to their regret.
And so, the next week I had my interview and was put forward to training for the class 2. Fantastic !
The people at ETMA deserves a big applause. I’m so thankful for all their wonderful help and devoted guidance. And not to forget Crosshands Transport Training, I had a wonderful time training with them.
Everything have seemed so easy, I passed me theory test first time and my driving test first time with (only) 8 minors. Thanks to all the people standing behind me in this.

And it gets better.
Now that I have passed my class 2 ETMA can even help me get funded for the class 1. I have to enroll on a NVQ, Driving Goods Vehicles. It will last 3 months with ongoing assessments at my work place. Hopefully I will have this sorted out so i can start in January. I can’t wait. Getting my class 1 is the ultimate dream.

I don’t know if these training schemes are working in other councils around the UK. I hope this can help some of you fellow dreamers to find some financial help getting your license.

One happy, happy girl !!!

■■
jo

language edit hi jo even with stars it’s not allowed mrs mix

Hey well done Jo. It’s the sort of thing trucking needs. I must say you do seem erm driven ('suce the pun :slight_smile: ). It was nice to have the information posted. Hope you enjoy trucking.

Cheers.

Ian.

Congratulations, you sound very determined, good on ya !!

Well done. :smiley:

Good stuff, congratulations on your successful test and thanks for sharing your experiences, especially your determination to grab those dreams and drag them into reality.

Well done again,
Rob

Well done!

You keep it up, we need more women in the industry. It was getting a bit lonely out here. Get that class 1 as soon as, as the work is better, and easier to get.

Well Done Jo…
Ive just posted in the other thread where Vulcan said he passed, and as I said there, Its so good to see so many people passing. Gives me hope when I take my class 1 in January… Counting down the Days!!!..

T - Minus 30 Days and counting… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Well Done… it’s always great to hear when someone gets on these government funded schemes that they really do want to drive trucks. I paid for both class 2 and 1 myself (nearly 2 grand) when doin class 2 guy was out with had his paid for by governement and his respose was “dont even want to be a truck driver, dole said I had to do this”. Anyway, good luck for the Class 1… See you out there!!

congratulations jo :smiley: :smiley:

it just goes to show that if your determined to do something that there is goverment training schemes out there to help you ,you just got to look for them.

i take it by the forum name your driving for the llanelli blues :wink:

jon

Congratulations Jo :slight_smile: , the only thing that saddens me, though, is that you had to do all the groundwork, because the people who are paid to help you, couldn`t be bothered to do their job properly. Well done for sticking at it and showing them what can be done with just a little bit of effort
Best Regards
Trev

Congratulations Jo,well done and good luck with the next one,regards Jamie.

Thanks everybody, for all those supportive word.
Determination,- well a bit.
Passion,- definately !!!

Don’t actually work for Owen’s,- well I’ve just got my license. But I’ve had my work based training there and hope one day there’ll be a job there for me. Have always had a thing for those blue lorries ! I’ve also done a photographic portrait/documentary on Owen’s, where I followed the drivers around for about a year. ( lovely boys ) So by heart I am an Owen’s girl.

Well, hope to meet you all out there…one day.
■■
Jo

Well done Jo :smiley: . I’m impressed with your tenacity and determination.As a couple of others have said,its a shame the people in the job centre didn’t have the knowledge to set you on your way in the first place.This is the third posting I’ve made tonight congratulating new drivers on their passes and its great to see that there is still an ineterest in becoming a professional driver even with bad press and conditions that some people have to put up with.There are good jobs out there and the conditions should be getting better all the time so good luck with your new career and keep us up to date with how things turn out for you.

Well Done Joe know the feeling good luck for class 1 keep is pposted.

Hi Jo, well done on the pass and everything else. The obstinacy :question: that you show will take you a long way in this business.

Best of luck with the class 1 and NVQ’s.

Cheers, Simon. And everybody else for all these supporting comments.
I guess obsessive passion can take you a fair bit down the road :slight_smile:

Oh, bully have put 4 of my photos in his gallery.
bully.lunarpages.com/truck_picture’s.htm
Hope you like.

■■
Jo