Just had my assessment drive!

Hi all, first post but have been browsing the forums for a couple of months now.

So yeah, I’ll be having a change of career soon away from retail after much deliberation, a few horror stories about a lack of employment once qualified and a lack of balls to just go for it. A couple of weeks ago after some encouragement from the Mrs and my job taking a turn for the worst, I’ve decided to get it boxed off and today I had my class 2 assessment drive. I’ve always loved driving and have wanted to be a professional driver since I was little, always remembering the Car Transporters going down the A55 haha. I’ve got a good feeling about it, it could change my life.

I loved it to be honest, the trainer was spot on, very supportive and patient with me (Chevron, North Wales - Highly recommended!). It had been my first time in anything bigger than an ■■■■■■ Van and I found the whole experience rather enjoyable. To my surprise he recommended I have a mere 20 hours training inc. test so I’ve jumped on it! I will be booking my theory and CPC with them as well.

Only other thing to note is I’ve been considering leaving my job to pursue this dream of mine, I was dead set on it but now I’m second guessing it. Currently 24, living with my parents with only minor bills to pay I feel its a perfect time to do it. I’d be able to put all my time into gaining the Class 2 and then onto the Class 1. In my head I should be able to find some work, at least through Agency, soon after I attain my Class 2. I am being unrealistic? There are loads of jobs around at the moment with the run up to Christmas and based in North Wales I live near a few industrial areas and while I appreciate that its no easy feat getting your first job, I’m up to the challenge. Its the fear of the unknown that’s holding me back. I wouldn’t want to leave my job (mind you I’ve only been offered a 12 hour minimum contract), get qualified and then not be able to find work or even qualify for JSA! That would ■■■■! But you only live once…

Anyway, I should be having my theory test within the next two-three weeks and all going well I should be undertaking my practical at the beginning of November!

I’ll keep this post updated with how I get on.

Thank you for reading my wall of text haha,

Brian

Looks like you have done some good research and have taken your current situation into account so …

GO FOR IT :smiley:

Good choice of trainer. All the best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hi brian
Go for it matey even if you do your class 2 on a weeks holiday it will be worth it.

Go round the Industrial estates now before you book your place and ask around it will give you an idea of what is going on.

Jeff

Thanks for the replies.

I’ve been studying hard for my Theory and CPC at the end of the month and should I pass I should be commencing my practical lessons the following week! :slight_smile:

I’m going to get my C.V up to date soon and start putting my name out there with the local hauliers. I’ve seen people mentioning you can access information about local hauliers on VOSAs website? I’ve had a nosey but not managed to find anything as of yet! I’ve been making a mental note of any haulage firms I’ve seen whilst driving to work with the the likes of Kenmac, L.E Jones, McCarthy, Lafarge etc although I’ve heard experience is needed for tippers!

Literally can’t wait to get it boxed off and begin a new career.

Think you have answered your own question , its what you want to do your living at home and only guaranteed 12 hrs , if you where my son I would gladly support you whilst u go for your dream , its a skill you will always have to fall back on once you have those licences and your right Christmas coming up and agencies seem to waiver the old 2 yrs experience lark when they want to get bums on driving seats lol , just be prepared to get the slump in work after Christmas though, but to be fair if you impress you may have your pick come the slack times :bulb:

go for it good luck :smiley:

I handed my notice in and sacked the retail job off! My last day was last Thurs! I’m a bit fearful of the unknown but I feel it was the right decision for me and the mrs at this point in time.

My parents have been really supportive to be fair, promised them a Holiday once I land myself a full time perm job on the wagons! :slight_smile:

I’ve been studying hard and doing practice theory and HP tests, currently scoring an average of 93 out of 100 and 80+ % on Hazard/Perception! Spending about 2 hours a day revising and doing the tests.

I’ve also been in contact with various local agencies including;
Proactive Personnel
Total Staff Services
GAP Personnel
HR GO

I’ve heard Manpower and Pertemps are good ones? Anyone know of any others I should be contacting? Total Staff Services have been very forthcoming and said as soon as I get my Class 2 to give them a class as their confident they will be able to get me some work. Also, one of my pals from work is trying to get me in contact with a Haulage firm based in Ellesmere Port - E. Nixon & Son, as his brother is head of recruitment and they will be looking for temps early next year!

All in all, looking good at this point in time! :slight_smile:

I notice you’re hanging on these agencies word. It’s very likely they’re saying it to get you on their books. I’m not saying it to put your hopes down, but it’s typical of an agency to say that (and there’s plenty of threads on here about it). You shouldn’t find it too difficult at this time of year though. :slight_smile:

Better to be positive isn’t it!

Theory tomorrow… :frowning:

dude u probably need a very good luck only 2 months left to christmas and after that there is not that many jobs for newbies, and also driving 18 ton is not easy as i thought it was its hard, I wish you very best luck in your carrer. i am on same boat as you but i never thought of leaving my job. Mine test is tomarrow lets hope for the best although i am very nervous and hopefully i dont clip the kerb or go too fast between parked cars and round abouts.

I wouldn’t have left my job if I wasn’t required to go back to Liverpool on a 12 hour contract. I’m under no illusion that after xmas it may well die down a bit and it may be hard and a fair few months before I land my first permanent job but I’m dedicated to doing just that.

Thanks mate and good luck with your test tomorrow.

I just had a go of the practice Mod 2 case study… passed, thanks ROG for the link.

Passed my theory, h&p and cpc mod 2. Booking my practical tomorrow o/