Is 49years old too old to get lgv licence

Am looking for advice is 49 years old too old to learne to drive Hgv
Or am I wasting my money

Sounds silly but it depends if you really want to do it.
There are blokes driving with me who are past retirement doing a few days here and there,one is 70 and been driving since he was too young so theres plenty of time for you.
If you think it’s an easy way to make a living…there are easier ways but then there are harder ways too.
In general we only make decent money because of the hours we do unless you land a peach job.

Toughy innit.

There are a couple of instructors here and I would bet the farm that they have both trained people older than you who have gone on to pass the test.

Nope never too old

There are a couple of instructors here and I would bet the farm that they have both trained people older than you who have gone on to pass the test.

Farm safe! Trained many mature folk to drive trucks. But just one word of wisdom - and please don’t take this the wrong way or shout at me! As the clock ticks on (and mine is ticking quite quickly it seems!) it’s more difficult to take new information on-board. But this doesn’t make it impossible by any means - just a slightly different challenge for the instructor. But if he’s any good, you should have no problem. Try an assessment. It will only cost you a medical to get your provisional. That’s assuming you ring round for a free assessment as some trainers do make a small charge for this.

If you want it - go for it. But, as said above, if you want an easy life, perhaps think again. Good luck with whatever you decide. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I am 43 and hope to get my C and C+E soon.
The way I look at it is that (hopefully) my age might improve my chances of getting a job with a new LGV license. (clean car license since 1986)
And I still have (again, hopefully) over 20 years of working life ahead of me.

You are never to old to learn, i passed class c last March aged 48 :wink: :blush:

Only you can decided if your to old or wasting your money.

My father in Law has a well paid job yet last year at 58 he decided to take his class C and now works weekends on the agency. He works in contruction so there is always a chance that his job is at risk so he thought he would give himself another option

Mjdhehir:

No you’re not too old to learn to drive a LGV vehicle :wink:

Mjdhehir:
Or am I wasting my money

If you’re hoping to get a decent job then I’m afraid you will need to either have contacts in the haulage industry who can give you work or you will need a lot of luck.

Whether or not you’re wasting your money depends on what you’re hoping to get out of it and how long you’re prepared to wait, the fact is that there are a lot of experienced drivers currently looking for work and you as an inexperienced driver will have to compete with them for the work that’s available, some new drivers have been lucky and found work straight away but many more haven’t found regular driving work.

jackg:
You are never to old to learn, i passed class c last March aged 48 :wink: :blush:

How much work as an LGV driver have you done since ?

hi, i passed both C and CE last year at 49 yrs old, no major problems with the driving, passed C first go and failed CE twice, but that could happen to anyone. As for getting a job after passing, i cant comment as so far i havent tried.
Good luck with it if you decide to go for it.

My dad passed his medical with flying colours aged 50, went on and did the training and died on his test, he said he would pass if it killed him :neutral_face:

If I didn’t have a licence, I would not think twice about doing it now, even with the slowing mind :stuck_out_tongue:

Deefer:
I am 43 and hope to get my C and C+E soon.
The way I look at it is that (hopefully) my age might improve my chances of getting a job with a new LGV license. (clean car license since 1986)
And I still have (again, hopefully) over 20 years of working life ahead of me.

Your age will make no difference - any one over 30 is likely to be OK. The fact you haven’t had the licence 2 years and no experience will be more significant. The time you’ve had a car licence is more or less irrelevant

Sorry to sound so negative.Just how it is. Ain’t right but that’s another story… :imp:

tachograph:

Mjdhehir:

No you’re not too old to learn to drive a LGV vehicle :wink:

Mjdhehir:
Or am I wasting my money

If you’re hoping to get a decent job then I’m afraid you will need to either have contacts in the haulage industry who can give you work or you will need a lot of luck.

Whether or not you’re wasting your money depends on what you’re hoping to get out of it and how long you’re prepared to wait, the fact is that there are a lot of experienced drivers currently looking for work and you as an inexperienced driver will have to compete with them for the work that’s available, some new drivers have been lucky and found work straight away but many more haven’t found regular driving work.

jackg:

How much work as an LGV driver have you done since ?

About 6 weeks(when i’m on holiday)as i’m in full time employment. Did class C as a back up, as in the industry i’m in can be there today gone tomorrow.

Took my class 2 with Peter Smyth last year at the age of 62.I am out tramping and loving it.The very thought of retireing and watching that pillock Jeremy Kyle in a morning gives me nightmares.I’ll carry on whilst my body is able to do the job,hopefully a good few years yet.

jackg:

I passed my Class C in May last year aged 47 and now I’m looking at doing my Class C+E in the next couple of months. So just go for it and think of it as a new life challenge. :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

mcc46:

jackg:

I passed my Class C in May last year aged 47 and now I’m looking at doing my Class C+E in the next couple of months. So just go for it and think of it as a new life challenge. :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Doing an assessment for C+E and if i feel ok with the drive, i hope to be doing test soon :wink:

Age is just a number but can be used an excuse by those who choose to use it as such, but Me, I don’t feel a day over 21 in my head :sunglasses:

I am in full time employment and in October 2011 I completed the purchase of my new house but had the advantage of decorating it whilst still living in a rented house. I went to work for 7am, got home about 4pm each day, got changed and went doing 4 or more hours decorating at the new house. This went on right up to the week before Xmas when I eventually moved in.

Why am I telling you this, well because I also took the Theory and Hazard Perception Test in November 2011 and aced both with a couple of weeks swatting between decorating. Then in December 2011 I did an assessment drive on a Saturday, my first ever time behind the wheel of a C. I then returned to do 8hrs instruction over 2 days and took my test the following morning and again passed first time. I am 54 next birthday and I am doing my C+E this month, so in answer to your question and any suggestion by others that age may make passing a little more of a challenge, I say, only if you let it be.

Mark.

Good on ya, well done for passing ya test :smiley: :wink:

Brian J:
Took my class 2 with Peter Smyth last year at the age of 62.I am out tramping and loving it.The very thought of retireing and watching that pillock Jeremy Kyle in a morning gives me nightmares.I’ll carry on whilst my body is able to do the job,hopefully a good few years yet.

Quite inspirational.

hi if you check out the post 6th one above your’s it is. :smiley: