52 years old and thinking of training

Good morning guys,

As the title says, I’m 52 and thinking about going for LGV training.

I’ve got a million questions but I suppose this is the most important to start with - Would employers consider a new driver at my age?

I’m physically fit, not on any medication and haven’t visited the GP apart from a two year medical examination (which is part of my current job) and have always passed with no issues.

52 isn’t too old at all! Employers may well take the view that you bring maturity and life experience to the job.

Fire away with your questions!

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for the reply, Pete. I was actually going to give you a call today and sort out a day and time to call over to have a chat and a look around.

I’m not sure whether just to ask all the questions in one thread or break them into separate topics. It might look like I’m spamming the board if I ask everything that’s whizzing around in my mind in separate topics.

I’ll give you a quick rundown of my questions/issues -

1. No work references
    (Been a carer for over a decade and before that self employed driver)

2. Cannot work weekends
    (Wife and kids would hate it)

3. Average working hours a week

4. Self employed/Ltd company?
    (Ltd company status incurs it’s own costs, is it worth it for what seems small additional pay?)

5. Start with 7.5 ton and gain experience or train directly to LGV c+e?

6. Pay in the south Manchester area

7. Work prospects in the south Manchester area

8. Will firms in south Manchester area take on newly qualified drivers?

…and that’s just a few off the top of my head!

Builders merchants :bulb: :question:

From the companies I’ve worked for on Agency. 52 would be one of the younger or about average age. The oldest driver in one of the places I do work for is 70

Personally, I would try and get some Class 2 experience rather than starting off at 7.5 Ton but that’s just my 2 pence worth. If you can’t find Class 2 work, there’s nothing wrong with taking on 7.5 Ton work as it all counts as professional driver experience on a larger size vehicle and you’ll still become familiar with strapping loads and using a tail lift.

Agency is quiet at this time of year but will hopefully pick up come Easter or just after. If you’re not picky on days/nights, have you considered airport work? They usually look the other way when it comes to experience as you’re usually off the public highways. You’ll get some good reversing practice if it is anything like Gatwick.

You wont go wrong with PSTT. I did my Class 2 there, passing first time and then went back for my Class 1.

I passed my class 2 a few weeks ago and am in the process of doing class 1.
I’m 56 in June this year.
Have a class 1 job to go to on passing.
Never too old in my opinion.

1. No work references
    (Been a carer for over a decade and before that self employed driver)

Try and get a character reference - every little helps

1. Cannot work weekends
    (Wife and kids would hate it)

It’s not a “given” that you need to work weekends. Just make sure that this isn’t expected before you start.

1. Average working hours a week

Anywhere between 35 and 55 hours would be normal

1. Self employed/Ltd company?
    (Ltd company status incurs it’s own costs, is it worth it for what seems small additional pay?)

Being outlawed by HMRC. PAYE is the way to go.

1. Start with 7.5 ton and gain experience or train directly to LGV c+e?

Up to you. The more qualified you are, the more opportunities available perhaps?

1. Pay in the south Manchester area

Sorry, not a clue. But, in general, poor rate for C around £8.50 and CE £9.50. Better rates add around £3.

1. Work prospects in the south Manchester area

In the heart of motorway networks, can’t imagine they’d be a shortage of work

1. Will firms in south Manchester area take on newly qualified drivers?

There’s only one way to find out!

I’m 54 and I’m about 2 weeks away from starting my class 2 training.

I aim to get that done then go straight in for class 1 (C+E)

I’ve had some good feedback from potential employers about my age as in “it’s not a problem”!

I’ve even had one company tell me if I pass my test at 1.00pm I can be working for them by 2.00pm

Omega:
I’m 54 and I’m about 2 weeks away from starting my class 2 training.

I aim to get that done then go straight in for class 1 (C+E)

I’ve had some good feedback from potential employers about my age as in “it’s not a problem”!

I’ve even had one company tell me if I pass my test at 1.00pm I can be working for them by 2.00pm

Wow!

That seals the deal. I’ll be ringing Pete tomorrow to book the medical for next weekend and hopefully I’ll be pushing a truck around in a few months.

Peter Smythe:
52 isn’t too old

Pete I’ve sent you a PM but you don’t appear to have gotten it.

Unless your inbox is full.