Is 50 to old to start driving lgvs

Hi all, I am looking for feedback /thoughts on this subject. I have been driving all sorts of vehicles over the years, vans 7.5,s
even a LEYLAND BOXER around the yard back in the day when Health and safety was a fight in the local on a Friday night.
My C training starts mid Feb, Im finding myself looking in to cabs on my daily trip on the M4 trying to gauge the ages of the drivers,
its about half & half some with HAIR! some without. Is there many 50+ wannabes doing or passed LGV.

As long as your healthy then why not!
It’s your life mate

Well I’m 48 & bald doing it now before it’s too late, considering you have several years of your working life left I would say definitely go for it.

The way things are going you still have at least 20 years before you retire. The hard bit for you depends on what work you have been doing and whether you can change to work the unsocial hours.

I took my test at 57 :smiley: and I’m still enjoying the job at the grand old age of 58 :wink:

I believe the average age is something like 51.9 years old.

So you’re bang on average!!!

I started at a 48, one good thing is you already have plenty of road sense at that age or at least should have.

Nothing unusual about taking up driving at 50+.

All the best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I’ve had two trainees over the age of 50 pass their tests with me in the last 3 months! Go for it.

shep532:
I believe the average age is something like 51.9 years old.

So you’re bang on average!!!

Seems to be true. Think the youngest driver I saw was in the mirror :laughing: :unamused: But I started at 19, and it’s a excellent way to get people to think you’re an egotistical arse “Oh yes I am a truck driver. Well rigids but you know I almost killed a man once.” (He was a traffic warden. I almost had him but he ran round the back of a house)

My uncle had his C+E for years (acquired in like the 80s) but was driving 7.5s for years for target express and city link until city link went into administration and only started driving C+Es then in his mid 50s. Seems to be pretty normal, not everyone joins the industry as early as us younger ones. Ryan

I’m 57 - passed my C test last May and started with my local Palletways depot at the beginning of July. Then passed my C+E in October - not used it yet but can upgrade to general haulage with the same company whenever I want. So, yes - go for it. If you’re willing, the jobs are out there… :laughing:

Good Luck

Hi there
I passed my Class 2 last year at the age of 67 although I had driven 7.5 tons in the past Age hasn’t stopped me getting agency work but some aspects are a bit harder now, especially moving heavy pallets around with a pump truck. Otherwise it’s fine.
Definitely go for it I say

There are exceptions but certainly if you look at the average artic driver you’ll probably find they are over 50 !!

As long as you r deemed healthy by your medical go for it!!!

50 is not that old you still have plenty of work life let in yu or should as long as you are fit ( ish ) healthy nowt to stop you going for it

As you said you have been driving unto 7.5t for a long time this is just a natural progression from that a bit older than some a bit younger than some stop worrying about it

I’m 46 and have started mulling through the threads on this board. I’m thinking of a complete career change in becoming an HGV driver. Still not sure, however, being in sales / management for the past 25 years takes its toll and with that said I suppose I’m looking for more stability and less pressure. I do find it encouraging to know that it’s possible for late starters to take up and make a go of it! Inspirational.

siezetheday:
I’m 46 and have started mulling through the threads on this board. I’m thinking of a complete career change in becoming an HGV driver. Still not sure, however, being in sales / management for the past 25 years takes its toll and with that said I suppose I’m looking for more stability and less pressure. I do find it encouraging to know that it’s possible for late starters to take up and make a go of it! Inspirational.

Same here m8 although i am just going for it

If you didnt like it with your experience in Sales/Management am guessing you would be able to get back into that line of work no problem

Tommy7437:

siezetheday:

If you didnt like it with your experience in Sales/Management am guessing you would be able to get back into that line of work no problem

Go for it buddy and don’t look back. I’m sure that everything will work out for you :smiley: Are you going for class 1 or 2?

I’m struggling though. Not sure whether to go in whole hog and do class 1 or start with class 2. I have absolutely no idea. Any ideas would be welcomed or advice. Either way I’m mulling it over.

It would also be interesting to know other members that made a complete change / break to embark within the HGV industry.

siezetheday:

Tommy7437:

siezetheday:

Go for it buddy and don’t look back. I’m sure that everything will work out for you :smiley: Are you going for class 1 or 2?

I’m struggling though. Not sure whether to go in whole hog and do class 1 or start with class 2. I have absolutely no idea. Any ideas would be welcomed or advice. Either way I’m mulling it over.

It would also be interesting to know other members that made a complete change / break to embark within the HGV industry.

For the moment only class 2 mate as its a big outlay for both at once

Planning to do class 1 in 6/12 months after gaining class 2

Why dont you do class 2 and get some experience first? If you dont like it at least you have not shelled out for both as in your words " your mulling over it…still unsure " etc :wink: