Best place for new driversto get jobs

:smiley: hi just passed my class 2 and im looking for my first hgv job.
where would be the best place to start? :smiley: :unamused:

first things First. Welcome to trucknet.

As for the jobs the best place to start out in my opinion is on with an agency. theres loads around and most will give ā€˜newbiesā€™ ago.
The benifits of this are you get to experience lots of different types of work and get an idea whatā€™s for you and what you would prefer to stay away from.
The downside is the wage as like other buisnesses agencys need to make money. but a bit of swapping and changing and you will soon get the work and the wageā€™s to suit.

Please feel free to ask any questions on here because you will ALWAYs get an answer from someone and an opinion.

Once again welcome to Trucknet.

There are some here
driver-recruitment.co.uk/
as well as temporary agencies :wink:

Another good way is to get in your car and visit in person every transport company around where you live, going as far out as you would be willing to travel to work. It shows willing and initative and is more personal than a letter, phone call or email. Itā€™s worked for a few on here.

Oh and welcome to TruckNet

Neil

PS. Make sure your car is washed and polished.

FIRSTLY WELCOME TO TRUCKNET :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

SECONDLY WELL DONE ON PASSING YA CLASS 2 :exclamation: :exclamation:

Boneā€™s is right mate agencies are probably best to start with as they will give newbies a chance, but that is not to say est companies wonā€™t either. i would get ya yellow pages and just cold call a few companies. Whats the worst they can say mate ā€œsorry we only take experienced drivers onā€ or " sorry we donā€™t have anything at the moment" and then visit some agencies and see what the score is with them mate :wink: .

but all the best with whatever you decide to do mate and keep us all informed of the outcome :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

WELL DONE AGAIN ON THE CLASS 2 :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

forget what i just said about phoning them, and take neils advice mate heā€™s got bucketloads more experience than i have mate :wink:

welcome to trucknetā€¦get your backside round your local companies and ask if they have anything going.wot have you got to lose,but think wot you could gain out of it. :bulb: :laughing: good luck

margatemafia:
forget what i just said about phoning them, and take neils advice mate heā€™s got bucketloads more experience than i have mate :wink:

Wayne, what a masterly stroke of backpedalling. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:smiley: firstly,thanks for the advice,i have put some feelers out and have had some good replies
i have to say what a brilliant site this is ,esspeacially for us newbies the advice on it it first rate and really makes you feel like you choosen the right career
it may have cost 1500 quid but i think it wiil be worth it :smiley:

ask ur instructor too - they are normally old dogs with a million years experience and the contacts to go with it

If I were starting out Iā€™d try and stay away from agencies and look for a job with a haulage company. With agencies you have to learn new jobs every week and it a tough learning curve as they expect somebody who knows were they are going and knows the job. Itā€™s really a get on your bike thing and go and see the companies, look for the less fashionable companies that might not have the latest motors etc as they might be more willing to give you a chance, but expect plenty of rejection and donā€™t lose heart.

Got ot agree with Neil as well, thats how I got my first artic job and my second and present one. Mind you my present boss did turn me down when I went in the first time but that did not stop me.

Wayne.

Well done mate.

When i got my Class 2 I signed on with every agency going - got plenty of work - some good - some bad - but had 3 job offers within 3 weeks for peeps i had worked for through agency.

I was working on a good wage for a decent company on a permanent contract within 4 weeks of passing - we all have to start somewhere - but the rewards are out there - just keep ya chin up!!!

Alex :imp: :smiling_imp: