wannabe drivers

THIS IS NOT A SALES PITCH IT’S A WARNING

I’m just slightly concerned that potential new drivers are being SUCKED IN by the promises of the so called TRAINING SCHOOLS who will give them a job at the end of training with them.

PLEASE PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL before you sign anything or part with any money- all these companies are interested in is you, giving them your credit card details for more money than you would pay a company in your area, and they will possibly send you to that company anyway.

Yes I am a trainer but I DO NOT NOR ever will work this way- do your homework ladies and gents and I’m sure you will get very good quality training for less with a local company of your choice.

My advice to add onto the post above

BEFORE you book your training, READ THIS…

I suggest the trainee-to-be visits the training school, meets the head person(s) and has a quick look at the truck BEFORE parting with any money.

Maybe an idea to have an asessment drive - some offer that for free.

Here is a list of Recommended LGV training schools compiled from member recommendations

teatree on
THIS THREAD
:
I did my training with one of the companies which promise a job at the end, the only trouble I had when the job was offered; it was at the other end of the country, in the south east, I wasn’t going to move, so the company have done their bit and I had no job! :frowning:

Live and learn, the hard way unfortunately :blush:
Stu

I own a small LGV Driving School - My advice is candidates should always visit the school if possible. Ask as many questions as you can think of before you part with your cash. Never believe the training company will find you a job - it doesn’t happen. Never pay without knowing when you will start training and who with. Always ask for written confirmation that the company you book with will be the company you train with and not a third party. Ask “where will I train?” and “can you give me some start dates?” while you are on the phone - you should know this before the subject of money is discussed. Never be bullied into booking or leaving a deposit by a sales person.

We are a small LGV Training company in Blackpool, and what chevmac and Big D said is perfectly true, we never work how these national companies work, and feel so very sorry for all these candidates are ripped off, any would be LGV Drivers please read all these postings.

As with the last two posts, we run our own Training School in Lincolnshire and agree with the advice already offered.
I find it best to be honest and up front and people will appreciate that.
I cant see the point in trying to rip people off and getting a bad name for your company in doing so.
All prospective drives should shop around the local schools and ask
1/ How much - with and without VAT
2/how many hours training they will they be getting for that price -
3/ Will they be training alone with the instructor or sharing with another trainee -
4/ Ask if this is a Driving School or an agent for a driving school and if in any doubt ask to visit and be shown the vehicles you will be using. Nobody will mind if the school is genuine.

We also run a training school in leicestershire.
I will agree whole heatedly with the above comments.
I am sure all of the companies above rely on recomendation as we do, you only get recomended by being honest offering value for money and having happy customers.
Likewise I am sure they welcome you shopping around.
Go and see the training provider.
If they are in meet the instructors.
Look at the training vehicles.
As with all of the above you will find the staff are drivers with a passion for their trade and strive to train professional drivers.
Be Honest with your customer. We recently won a Customer over local Competition when he rang us and asked what our pass rate was we told him and he said “I have rang two others and they both have a higher pass rate than you they both have over 70%”, as Leicesters pass rate is average 43% and ours is above that you do the math. 70% I wish.

Good luck to all who want to become professional drivers the present situation can not last forever.

I don’t run my own training school :smiley: :laughing: So, anyway, do your homework and think first, and don’t think there are jobs just waiting for you, there isn’t. :slight_smile: :grimacing:

hi just a quick one for other people to see. i would like to recomend a company which i have found really good as i passed my test for cat C first time this morning and i was with a company called “Hindley Green LGV Training” based in the wigan area and run by Paul Tunstall. This guy does cat C, C+E, and initial CPC at very reasonable prices and he has a very high first time pass rate and a very good techneque of teaching. overall i really enjoyed my training and i am going back for my CPC then my C+E. here below are his details

contact: Paul Tunstall on 01942 207503 / 07977248689 E.Mail- paultunstall@blueyonder.co.uk

He is also based 5mins from atherton test centre so from day 1 you are on the test routes.

thanks paul!!

best thing to do is to look on here for recommended training schools that people have been and passed and value for money.

It never ceases to amaze me how readilly folk part with their hard earned to “national companies” when there is normally a trainer who is absolutely committed to their success just down the road.

A potential learner should only book on the phone if they have rock solid recommedation or if they’ve already done their homework and visited, asked questions etc etc. :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
It never ceases to amaze me how readilly folk part with their hard earned to “national companies” when there is normally a trainer who is absolutely committed to their success just down the road.

but is that trainer at the top of the list when googling ■■? :unamused:

Peter Smythe:

A potential learner should only book on the phone if they have rock solid recommedation or if they’ve already done their homework and visited, asked questions etc etc. :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Peter, That amazes me too!!

It seems that there are a lot of folk who think that an internet search engine is the answer to every question.
IMHO, the problem faced by folks is that they sit at a monitor screen and think that the ‘answer’ they get is automatically correct because they found it on the internet. In many cases, people (especially youngsters) fail to realise that they lack the skill to evaluate the information that their search returns… then for one of my hobby-horses… why oh why won’t they scroll and read stuff instead of blindly accepting the first thing they see??

Although I have every sympathy for somebody who gets stung/scammed, sometimes they bring it upon themselves. :unamused: :unamused:

For homework, I suggest that they check out the meaning of caveat emptor. (Using a search engine, of course. :grimacing:)

Peter Smythe:

if you are going to spend money on some thing like say a fridge you would not go to a broker for it you got to a shop that sells them

its all to do with marketing there nice shiny website and all the bull there spout about driver shortages and then the trainee is IMHO hooked to the bull