A Naive Wannaba

This is probably going over old ground for a lot of you but I’m a wannabe trucker living near Lincoln looking for a good reliable place to do my training. Unfortunately when you Google HGV Training the first sites that are thrown up are these ‘national’ companies who claim to have regional training centres , will get you through everything as quickly as possible ( which doesn’t say much for actual time behind the wheel ) and promise to virtually get you your dream driving job.
I know people can’t comment too strongly on companies , or individuals, on this site and I hope I’m not breaking rules here, I’m just looking for reassurance I’m heading in the right direction.
I registered my interest with a couple of these companies to begin with ( again hope I’m not breaking any rule here by naming them ) ’ The HGV TRaining Centre’ and ‘The LGV Training Company’ . The guy from the first company wouldn’t stop calling me after I showed an interest and I mean calling literally every day. Smacks of desperation I thought. I’ve only received one text, recently, from the second company saying they’ve cut the cost of some of their courses by quite a bit so not sure about them.
I only discovered this web site a few days ago but from what I can make out I should keep clear of the ‘national’ companies, and look for local established ones that where possible come with recommendation, I’ve only been in the area a few years but a few of the wife’s friends and workmates are beginning to recommend a few, SDS at Swinderby is one and I’ve heard that Denbys? are established but only train up drivers for their own business.
I 'm tying to find a few more ‘locals’ and haven’t really had time to have a good look around this site yet but any suggestions and comments would be much appreciated.

It’s probably a bit late for most so I’ll kick it off.

Don’t part with any money for the first 2. They are brokers. You will (I guarantee) get a bad deal from them.

Go to a local training school that has lorries in the yard. Ask for an assessment. Get a feel for what you are shelling YOUR hard earned money out on.

There’s a thread at the top of this forum with recommended training schools listed by county and also quite a few tips for newbies.

Best of luck.

garrywarner:
This is probably going over old ground for a lot of you but I’m a wannabe trucker living near Lincoln looking for a good reliable place to do my training. Unfortunately when you Google HGV Training the first sites that are thrown up are these ‘national’ companies who claim to have regional training centres , will get you through everything as quickly as possible ( which doesn’t say much for actual time behind the wheel ) and promise to virtually get you your dream driving job.
I know people can’t comment too strongly on companies, or individuals, on this site and I hope I’m not breaking rules here, I’m just looking for reassurance I’m heading in the right direction.
I registered my interest with a couple of these companies to begin with ( again hope I’m not breaking any rule here by naming them ) ’ The HGV TRaining Centre’ and ‘The LGV Training Company’ . The guy from the first company wouldn’t stop calling me after I showed an interest and I mean calling literally every day. Smacks of desperation I thought. I’ve only received one text, recently, from the second company saying they’ve cut the cost of some of their courses by quite a bit so not sure about them.
I only discovered this web site a few days ago but from what I can make out I should keep clear of the ‘national’ companies, and look for local established ones that where possible come with recommendation, I’ve only been in the area a few years but a few of the wife’s friends and workmates are beginning to recommend a few, SDS at Swinderby is one and I’ve heard that Denbys? are established but only train up drivers for their own business.
I 'm tying to find a few more ‘locals’ and haven’t really had time to have a good look around this site yet but any suggestions and comments would be much appreciated.

Hi mate stay away from brokers. I had a run in with AdvantageHGV around this time last year, silly ■■■■ me paid over £2700 via debit over the phone… Was one of the silliest moves I’ve ever done, it took me a couple of days of going through all the stuff they sent me before it clicked that they were criminals. When I applied for a full refund (covered by laws to protect consumers I.e cooling off periods etc) they tried to charge me 50% of the money because they said the training had already begun! Hahaha
It took months of taking them through Scottish courts (that they didn’t appear at, because they thought they didn’t have to abide by Scottish law)
I finally received a decree legal in Scotland and had forms sent down South to start the process of the decree being changed to English law.
Once they realised I had them by the balls they coughed up pretty quickly I had a telephone call randomly one day and they paid the full sum + court costs + extra the same day!

Not everyone is as lucky as me, and their are some people who do pass their HGV training with these companies.

If you can travel is use one of the regular posters on here. I’ve said it before. If I was doing it again I’d go with Peter Smythe on here but ROG and a few others seem to have good knowledge and can point you in the right direction I’m sure

Thanks for the kind words. My advice to OP is to always visit the centre you are considering; visit several so you understand that the quality varies. Get the quote in writing so you know precisely what you’re paying for. IMO the only exception to visiting is booking on rock solid recommendation.

This has been another one of “those” weeks where folk are ringing up having realised they’ve had a rotten deal elsewhere and now want me to clear up the mess. Which, of course, I’ do. But these folk have frequently spent the thick end of £2k and not achieved their goal. I find it frustrating, putting it mildly, cos we look more expensive on the face of it. It’s all to do with finding out what you’re really getting for your money.

Another common situation is people passing a test elsewhere without ever a mention of driver cpc. You may as well sell someone a car and forget to mention that they have to pay more for the steering wheel.

So good luck with your search; there are some perfectly good and honest trainers out there - - just a matter of finding them!!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Before you decide anything check out all the stickies at the top of this forum as they contain all the info you need to make an informed decision

For getting a job as a newbie I suggest reading recent threads by those in a similar situation as they are likely to give a realistic view

No shortage of work in that area - especially for CE. Not so sure about C to be honest.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

You done the right thing posting here before booking any training , ring a few of these places up and ask for an assessment ,if they cant provide that before you part with your hard earned cash , then walk away ,
A good set up will talk you through all you need to do and give you approx an hrs drive to see how much training you will need, some charge for this others dont and some will knock the assesment charge off if you go ahead and book with them ,
make sure the veh are in reasonable nick , they dont have to be brand new veh just roadworthy and look like they have been looked after , also mke sure your happy with the guy who will be training you as well , no point going out for five days with someone your gonna clash with , as a prev poster said PST are one of the companies that want you to pass so give it all they have to get you that blue cert, thats what your looking for in a training company ,
remember you are paying them so need to happy with who you have booked with in all aspects :smiley:

Good luck with your training and look forward to congratulating you on a pass in the near future :wink: :smiley:

Thanks to all that have posted really good advice and recommendations ( and Mansfield isn’t that far from here but I’ll check out more local ones first. ) To be honest having found this website and had a chance to look through it a bit more I’d made my mind up anyway and had chosen the route you’re all suggesting. I’m all set to get some phone numbers sorted and check a few places out and then get an assessment drive arranged.
Thanks to all who posted.

Knights of Old at Kettering are after lgv 1& 2 drivers.Maybe they will put you on their own training as an apprentice.
Their advert does say new drivers welcome.