Inexperienced steel erector soon to be driver needing help

hello there,I have just passed my class 1 in march and my rigid last december.Unfotunately when I booked my course(both rigid and artic in one)I was not told that the training vehicle was an IVECO CARGO which has six gears and is small compared to a normal artic.the artic part of the course was a cargo with a drawbar trailer,the problem I have is at the moment I dont actually drive trucks,I have a few irons in the fire for getting a driving job when I do get a job I havent got a clue of how to couple up a normal artic and also using say a 12 to 16 gearbox tractor with split gears.what are split gears for?how do you use them ?Iknow there is a switch of some sort on the gear lever that switches between ranges but I would have no idea how to use it,also would I fill both tanks up either side of the tractor when filling up with diesel?PLEASE can someone try and help me answer some of these questions ,SORRY to sound like an inexperienced muppet. :blush: :blush: :question:

hi bikemonkey

welcome to TruckNet :smiley:

quote:

when I do get a job I havent got a clue of how to couple up a normal artic

the way i do it is line up with the trailer (get out and make sure the trailer brake is on) and before you back under the trailer drop the suspension (saves scratching the wheel arches). once your under half way let the air back up and then back under until you here the clunk.(thats the fifth wheel locking into place).

give it a couple of tugs in a forward gear to make sure you have got the pin.then jump out and put the clip in (little safety clip next to the handle on the fifth wheel).

then go and connect your air lines and suzi’s .

wind your trailer legs up and take the trailer brake off and put your number plate on then jobs a good un.

uncoupling is a reverse of the above.

but above all make sure the brake is on the trailer and you put the handbrake on in the cab

jon

qoute by bikemonkey:

12 to 16 gearbox tractor with split gears.what are split gears for?how do you use them ?Iknow there is a switch of some sort on the gear lever that switches between ranges but I would have no idea how to use it

i drive a 8 geared scania which is a 4 over 4 box so basically you go 1,2,3,and 4 flick the switch and 5,6,7,and 8. i dont pull much weight (deliver to town centre stores)so i can block change i.e 3 flick switch 5 ,6,7,8.

then you have auto and semi auto boxes basically its a learning curve we all have to go through and if you don’t know ask someone to show you. :smiley:

also would I fill both tanks up either side of the tractor when filling up with diesel

if you have 2 tanks they are there for a reason :wink:

SORRY to sound like an inexperienced muppet.

iv’e been doing this for 7 years now and im still learning, any questions just ask away im sure you will get plenty of answers on here. :laughing:

jon

Welcome to TruckNetUK bikemonkey.
Do you ride a mo’bike :question:

Provided that your prospective bosses know that you have ‘limited’ experience, you should ask them most of these questions. Your workmates should also show/tell you what you need to know about the particular wagon you’ll be driving. There are quite a few variations, even on the same make of wagon (depending on its age and spec’) that until you can tell us what you’ll be driving, we could easily be telling you how to drive something different, which could possibly be worse than going in totaly blind. (False feeling of security :question: )

Also try looking in this forum to answer most of your questions, Frequently Asked Questions

After your first day, ask some more specific questions, it may take a couple of days to get an answer tho’. :open_mouth: :smiley:

Welcome to Trucknet Bike monkey.You’ve got the first bit right and ASKED for help.Don’t be embarassed by your lack of experience,you’re in the same boat we’ve all been in after getting the precious pass certificate.There’s lots of advice posted here already and ANY questions will always get a friendly response.My advice would be to try and get out with a mate to pick up some of the stuff you need,such as coupling and un-coupling which can be hard to take in from the printed word,good luck :wink: