Passing C+E in a static with a trailer

Hi all

In the process of back to back C+E at the moment and loving it :slight_smile:

Just found out I’ll be doing the E part in a static with a trailer which is ok I’m comfortable in it but that means I’ll be able to drive an artic without ever having driven one! Surely its a tad different to drive given the pivot to the vehicle is in the middle rather than behind the tractor unit. Is it easy enough to adapt once out in the real world? I don’t want to pi$$ about with statics and want to go straight for the FH16 type stuff.

Thoughts?

Do half a day training on artic after passing in a W&D :bulb:

Number 1: you can say ■■■■, the auto censor let’s that through

Number 2: as said, if you’re worried, do half a day in an artic

Number 3: pivot point is just that. The training gets you used to a vehicle that pivots. I have never drove a w&d but my next job is just that. It would cost you a fortune to be trained on every possible combination

Actually as obvious as that seems I hadn’t considered it :unamused: Thanks, I’ll try to convince the company I paid for my training that this should be a realistic expectation!

Artic, wagon and drag, a frame, rear steer, extended trailer, trombone, tanker, short single axle. And they’re just the first ones that spring to mind that handle differently. Can you imagine how much it would cost you to be trained on everything?

jbaz73:
Artic, wagon and drag, a frame, rear steer, extended trailer, trombone, tanker, short single axle. And they’re just the first ones that spring to mind that handle differently. Can you imagine how much it would cost you to be trained on everything?

lol ok buddy, fair enough, I’m new to this. Serious question though … Just jump in an artic and give it a go? Or train as an extra beforehand. Seriously, advice appreciated :slight_smile:

marsbars:

jbaz73:

lol ok buddy, fair enough, I’m new to this. Serious question though … Just jump in an artic and give it a go? Or train as an extra beforehand. Seriously, advice appreciated :slight_smile:

Train for half a day in artic = highly recommended

ROG:

marsbars:

jbaz73:

Train for half a day in artic = highly recommended

Thanks man :smiley:

I’ve never drove a wd. An a frame, yes, but never a standard. I had no problems, but if you’re worried, a bit of training would be a good idea. There is a difference going forward because of trailer cut and reversing an artic is not as hard as it is made out to be. What I did was to sign on with an agency and practiced using customer vehicles. Bonus, you don’t have to pay, you get paid for learning! As long as you’re sensible and take your time making proper observation you will be fine.

jbaz73:
I’ve never drove a wd. An a frame, yes, but never a standard. I had no problems, but if you’re worried, a bit of training would be a good idea. There is a difference going forward because of trailer cut and reversing an artic is not as hard as it is made out to be. What I did was to sign on with an agency and practiced using customer vehicles. Bonus, you don’t have to pay, you get paid for learning! As long as you’re sensible and take your time making proper observation you will be fine.

Inspirational sir! Cheers, greatly appreciated.

jbaz73:

Reversing an artic not as hard as its made out to be? Sshhhh don’t give the game away newbies are supposed to watch old hands reverse and think its impossible lol

Lol, my bad!

I got lucky, working as a shunter forces you to get it real fast. Ideal job for a newbie :slight_smile:

jbaz73:
Lol, my bad!

I got lucky, working as a shunter forces you to get it real fast. Ideal job for a newbie :slight_smile:

Makes you wonder if a week shunting to get used how to reverse a trailer would be a good idea for a newbie before being let loose?

It really would be good if newbies did a couple of weeks shunting before going out on the road, in a perfect world.

Culina collect at my place, and they take on new drivers at the Lutterworth depot and do just that. New drivers go on shunting until they are confident.

I think it’s a lot better than just giving a newbie a set of keys and hoping

Daytrunker:

jbaz73:
Lol, my bad!

Makes you wonder if a week shunting to get used how to reverse a trailer would be a good idea for a newbie before being let loose?

When i worked at Royal mail, after guys had passed their tests they had a week shunting before being let loose.