Worried learner

Hi guys, hope you are all well…

I’m due to start my lessons and take my practical test for Cat C also my Mod 4 after a very successful passing of my theory’s…

But I’m so worried that if I pass… there is no job to go too, all the money it costs to obtain my licence could be in vain.

I’m currently 41 years old and a bus driver in Birmingham… I’m fortunate that despite the current situation we’re in, my job is secure, but I hate it! & was hoping that by obtaining Cat C licence it would get me away from the buses & my hope was to land a job that doesn’t have shifts, enabling me to have a better work life balance.

Is this possible? or am I just being naive! Should I stop before I spend more money?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Your workload balance possibly won’t improve… it’ll change.

I start anything between 2 am and 11.

Average start probably 5.

13 hour days arent uncommon.
Flip side is the money is quite good.

My perception is there are still jobs out there…decent ones are trickier.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Just go for it and get off them buses. Trust me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may have to be on agency for a while until you find a full time perm job but that means not having a regular wage in many cases

On agency, even if you get regular work, most likely they will pay you through 3rd party umbrella company. If you on umbrella, whatever rate they promise you gross, take approximately 30% off, this is what you will get on hand. Rates can look nice but my income dropped when I was driving on agency full time.

Sent from my HUAWEI LYO-L01 using Tapatalk

milesahead:
On agency, even if you get regular work, most likely they will pay you through 3rd party umbrella company. If you on umbrella, whatever rate they promise you gross, take approximately 30% off, this is what you will get on hand. Rates can look nice but my income dropped when I was driving on agency full time.

And in most cases this gross amount will include your holiday pay as well…

Monkey241:
Your workload balance possibly won’t improve… it’ll change.

I start anything between 2 am and 11.

Average start probably 5.

13 hour days arent uncommon.
Flip side is the money is quite good.

My perception is there are still jobs out there…decent ones are trickier.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Thank you for reply… I don’t mind early starts, I’d love to be home evening and weekends but I am a realist and know this is tough to get but one can dream lol

mark1284:
Just go for it and get off them buses. Trust me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s what I keep being told… you read some bad stories and I think the grass won’t be greener

I appreciate you guys taking the time to reply…

Agency seems quite a scary route… going from a permanent income to a chance of not.

I’m going to finish going for the licence and se what’s what after, still not overly hopeful but if you don’t put a £1 on the lottery you will never win! Right :confused: lol

If you currently work 5 days get some agency experience on your odd spare days, that will help and might open a door. You will also see the difference between loads that have to be unloaded compared to ones that get off themselves but answer back. All the best go for it, im sure with bus experience (basically a class C with lots of seats) you should have more chances than the average newbie.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Try WHSmith Distribution Centre in Birmingham. They take on Class 2 new passes. 5am or 3pm start Monday to Friday. See if you can get employment directly, otherwise go the agency route.

spacemanZ10:
If you currently work 5 days get some agency experience on your odd spare days,

That will probably mean one day of driving every other week so as to comply with weekly rest laws

ROG:

spacemanZ10:
If you currently work 5 days get some agency experience on your odd spare days,

That will probably mean one day of driving every other week so as to comply with weekly rest laws

Thanks Rog meant to clarify that part.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk