Doubts about learning by myself, and training pace

Hi,

I’m thinking about getting a class 2 lorry license, and I have a couple of questions about the training.

1. Is it possible to study by myself the theory parts, including the theory CPC part, and then go to a driving school to do the other practical parts to lower the total cost ? Also, I don’t want to be rushed by the school to sit the test before I’m ready. I got the official DVSA books and I’m studying at home at my own pace.

2. I work full time Mon to Fri 10h-18h. Can I take a couple of driving lessons a week until I complete 20 hours ? Or is it better to do it all together ? I could take one or two weeks annual leave at work to do the training if that’s the best way .

Thanks!

Hello and welcome to the forum.

1. Yes, this is how HGV training works, you study yourself at home and go in for the test once you feel like you are ready.

2. You want to be doing it all at the same time, HGV training doesn’t work like car training where you do 1 or 2 hours each week, it’s all done within one week then the test at the end.

There is places ( Peter Smythe Transport Training ) where you can train Saturday and Sunday and do the test on the Monday morning, or you could go to any training school you like and complete the full training and test in 3 to 4 days normally, some 5 days.

You’ll want to be completing all the theory stuff first though.

Good luck.

What the OP suggests is not daft, in normal times. In fact, that’s exactly how the industry used to work 35 - 40 years ago.

But, in these current times, there is a problem. Any responsible trainer will be thoroughly cleaning the vehicle when changing from one trainee to another. This takes time. So, dealing with 4 or 5 different trainees in a day is a non-starter IMO at the moment.

If the OP would like to indicate his location, I may be able to help.

Stay safe all, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Click on the link below in my signature to get FREE 1000+ theory questions plus loads of other great info

You need a provisional to book the theories though, so the first step is the medical. GPs can be expensive, so that is one area where a driving school may know a doctor that does the medicals at a good rate.

There isn’t much the driving school can do for you in terms of theory other than give you the material to learn anyway. You can book the tests yourself once the DVSA are up and running again.

There isn’t much the driving school can do for you in terms of theory other than give you the material to learn anyway. You can book the tests yourself once the DVSA are up and running again.

That’s true with many driving schools. But we include a day of theory training plus online theory training. The beauty of this is that the trainee ends up fully understanding the subject rather than just learning the answers to pass a test.

We also, as part of our standard service, organise the theory tests at a centre local to the trainee.

So we’re not all the same!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Well-Jell:
2) You want to be doing it all at the same time, HGV training doesn’t work like car training where you do 1 or 2 hours each week, it’s all done within one week then the test at the end.

I did mine over 4 weeks, 4hrs a week with the test in the 4th week. I had to fit mine around my job and it worked out for me [emoji106]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

kazordoon:
Hi,

I’m thinking about getting a class 2 lorry license, and I have a couple of questions about the training.

1. Is it possible to study by myself the theory parts, including the theory CPC part, and then go to a driving school to do the other practical parts to lower the total cost ? Also, I don’t want to be rushed by the school to sit the test before I’m ready. I got the official DVSA books and I’m studying at home at my own pace.

2. I work full time Mon to Fri 10h-18h. Can I take a couple of driving lessons a week until I complete 20 hours ? Or is it better to do it all together ? I could take one or two weeks annual leave at work to do the training if that’s the best way .

Thanks!

I don’t think they do the CPC in America so no need to concern yourself with that. :smiley:

Peter Smythe:
What the OP suggests is not daft, in normal times. In fact, that’s exactly how the industry used to work 35 - 40 years ago.

But, in these current times, there is a problem. Any responsible trainer will be thoroughly cleaning the vehicle when changing from one trainee to another. This takes time. So, dealing with 4 or 5 different trainees in a day is a non-starter IMO at the moment.

If the OP would like to indicate his location, I may be able to help.

Stay safe all, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Right, so I get it’s best to do the practical driving sessions in one week. No problem, I can get one week off at work.

I have seen on your site that you offer a starting package that among other things include medical test and theory training. My question was if I could skip that package, do it my self, and contact the school only for the driving bit. I have seen a few other driving school sites that offer a full package for around £1200 including everything, but they don’t mention if I can just approach them only for the practical driving lessons to get a discount.

By the way, I’m from Leeds.

We are here to train folks to drive trucks. The Starter Pack and all that’s in it is another part of the service. It truthfully makes no difference to us if you do the prep work with us or independently. We’d be happy to welcome you for just the practical.

I strongly recommend that you go visit another trainer or two and then come and take a look at us. Some of the differences are huge!

Good luck with it all, Pete :laughing: :laughing: