HGV training whilst in full time employment

Hi guys, hopefully I’m not alone in this dilemma but was wondering what suggestions people may have in terms of starting and completing hgv training whilst also already holding down a full time (Monday to Friday ish) job outside of the industry?

Thank you in advance for any help :smiley:

Take a week off go to Mr smythe (others available ) do weeks course

I know Pete does a sat/sun/mon course, which would mean having only one day off. Hughes driver training are happy to let you learn in day blocks, or even a couple hours at a time. There’s no reason why schools near to you wouldn’t offer the same system. Don’t ask, don’t get

blue estate:
Take a week off go to Mr smythe (others available ) do weeks course

Thank you, I had thought this just didn’t want to eat into annual leave if not necessary, prefer using that time for family etc but needs must sometimes.

Thanks again

jbaz73:
I know Pete does a sat/sun/mon course, which would mean having only one day off. Hughes driver training are happy to let you learn in day blocks, or even a couple hours at a time. There’s no reason why schools near to you wouldn’t offer the same system. Don’t ask, don’t get

Don’t ask don’t get is true, I know I have commercial transport training near me (Leighton buzzard) so will ask them.

Thanks for the info :slight_smile:

When I did my first attempt at class 1, I did 2 hours per week for 48 quid a time. It may be that you have to pay for x hours en bloc

I just took a week’s leave and did the HGV Class 2 including the test in that week.

Or you can do it on the weekends or ad hoc here and there but I found getting it done and dusted all in a week including the CPC was the best course for me.

I did 4 hours of driving Monday to Thursday and 1 hour driving before my driving test on the Friday so it does not eat up all of your time

jbaz73:
When I did my first attempt at class 1, I did 2 hours per week for 48 quid a time. It may be that you have to pay for x hours en bloc

I think this is the route I could take…

oldwelshdude:
I just took a week’s leave and did the HGV Class 2 including the test in that week.

Or you can do it on the weekends or ad hoc here and there but I found getting it done and dusted all in a week including the CPC was the best course for me.

I did 4 hours of driving Monday to Thursday and 1 hour driving before my driving test on the Friday so it does not eat up all of your time

Like I say I’m not sure I can commit a week block so would rather look at part time training of going for it. Currently in a very stressful job so when annual leave comes it’s sorely needed :unamused:

Like I say I’m not sure I can commit a week block so would rather look at part time training of going for it. Currently in a very stressful job so when annual leave comes it’s sorely needed :unamused:

Fair enough. You can do it all at your own pace from medical to passing the test.

The only thing I did in one block was the actual driving, the test and the CPC. Oh and I actually took another week off and got my ADR too, even though I have not used that yet

I was working nights and doing my lessons every Tuesday. I’d finish work at 7am and start my lessons at 8am. I did 3x 4hrs, 1 lesson per week then my test on the 4th week. My other Mods (1,2 & 4) I did as and when I could get them booked. I did this method for both class 2 & 1 and that worked for me [emoji106]

OR

pull a sickie like my mate did [emoji23]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

JBaz said about Hughes driver training they’re not to far from you. They park at the Crawley Crossing fuel stop just off of M1 junction 13. Pretty sure i’ve seen them out on Saturdays too.
Good thing with Peter Smythe’s is they do open days and weekend training so depending on how quickly you want to start you could take a trip up there to “have a go” and possibly sort training to suit you?

I did like most people I guess, took a week off and did class 2 and cpc all together in one go, course started on friday, weekend off, and then monday till wednesday driving with test on thursday, back to regular work on friday ;p
And a week after that, a two week holiday with 1.2k miles driving there and back over 2 days ;p ( can You tell I enjoy driving? :wink: )