Advice please

Hi, l am thinking seriously about taking my class 2 and 1 please can you lot tell me if l am doing the right thing? l would like to drive part time only and be self employed if possible, l would really appreciate your advice,thanks Haley

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome grovegarage :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

THE DRIVER SHORTAGE IS AN ADVERTISING MYTH - Generally more drivers than jobs in the UK
Newbies - Jobs, Agencies & EXPERIENCE & Is the UK short of drivers ? & Was it really worth it?

FAQ forum for info on Posting Pics & avatars, How to use quotes, Driver CPC, and much more…

My opinion -
If you want to do this for a job (F/T or P/T) now - forget it
If you want to do this for personal satisfaction - go for it
If you want to do this as an investment for the future - go for it

Unless I’m mistaken, I’d strongly advise you complete it by Sept. After Sept you have to do 35 hours training before 2014 for the CPC without having to take a test (as you will acquire grandfather rights if passing your test before Spetember). After that, you would have to do all the training and the test before you can drive an LGV, so it’s an extra test to try to pass.
If I am wrong, I will no doubt be corrected. :smiley:

Rog, thanks for the advice. Is it really that difficult to find a job driving hgv’s?? l really want to get my license, but its alot of money if l am not going to get work afterwards■■?

Haley

dangerousdave:
Unless I’m mistaken, I’d strongly advise you complete it by Sept. After Sept you have to do 35 hours training before 2014 for the CPC without having to take a test (as you will acquire grandfather rights if passing your test before Spetember). After that, you would have to do all the training and the test before you can drive an LGV, so it’s an extra test to try to pass.
If I am wrong, I will no doubt be corrected. :smiley:

you are correct :smiley:
After Sept 10 this year the test includes the two extra tests for the INITIAL driver CPC - more money :frowning:

grovegarage:
Rog, thanks for the advice. Is it really that difficult to find a job driving hgv’s?? l really want to get my license, but its a lot of money if l am not going to get work afterwards■■?

Haley

Have a read around these forums and you will find that experienced drivers are out of work and an employer will usually take them over a newbie any day.

As I said before - do it and then treat it like a cash investment for the future - a bit like putting money into one of those long term savings accounts

Works a bit slack at the mo just the same as any job. I notice in truck magazines that drivers are advertising for jobs! However, there will be some jobs out there. I’m curious what happens when the new CPC comes in. I wonder if blokes who have been driving for 30+ years and near retirement age are really going to sit in a classroom being lectured by a ten year old straight from uni!
Also unless I am mistaken, I believe that soon there will be a driving test for 3.5 tonne (■■■■■■ vans) as well meaning that young lads wanting to drive lorries will need to do a
LGV theory test
Van driving test
7.5 tonne test
Class 2 test
Class 1 test
CPC

I’m guessing that wont be cheap and if you were 21 with 5 grand in your hand, would you spend it trying to be a truck driver, or would you spend it on beer, women and pimping up your Corsa■■?

So if all the oldies (no offence) are not prepared to sit in the classroom being patronised, and the younger ones aren’t coming in, I wonder how the job front will go then.

The way I see it, if you have your class 2 you have it. You can sign up for agencies and get some work, even if they end up making you drive a van you’ll get class2 money. I did some agency driving and half the companies offered me a permanent job a few years back.
I say go for it, it’s better to regret some thing you have done, than something you haven’t. Just try to do it before Spetmeber if you can.

I’m on a roll now. :smiley:
I recommend using only a DSA registered instructor too, for mutual protection. I can teach you to drive a lorry, but weather I could teach you to pass a lorry driving test■■? I would doubt it.

Also you can learn in a flatbed but I personally recommend a box wagon. If you learn to drive a flat bed (where you can see out of the back window clearly on reversing etc) then pass your test and jump in one with a big box on the back you’ll be lost!
My theory is train hard, drive easy!

At the moment there’s very little work available even for experienced drivers, you want to drive part time which in itself is an obstacle as agencies will naturally give most work to there full time drivers whenever possible.

Have a look round Trucknet UK and you’ll get some idea of how many drivers are still looking for work and many of them are experienced drivers.

Unless you’re prepared to pay for the training and possibly get no work afterwards I’d forget it.

Getting your license now as an investment for the future may be worthwhile, but even when work picks up you’ll be in a worse position than someone who’s just finished the training and passed the test as by then it could be years since you drove a lorry even in training.

Sorry this isn’t what you wanted to hear but you did ask :wink:

dangerousdave:
I’m on a roll now. :smiley:
I recommend using only a DSA registered instructor too, for mutual protection. I can teach you to drive a lorry, but weather I could teach you to pass a lorry driving test■■? I would doubt it.

Also you can learn in a flatbed but I personally recommend a box wagon. If you learn to drive a flat bed (where you can see out of the back window clearly on reversing etc) then pass your test and jump in one with a big box on the back you’ll be lost!
My theory is train hard, drive easy!

The being able to train on a flatbed does not apply anymore- all training vehicles must have a box body now- but you make a very valid point dangerousdave :smiley:

dangerousdave:
Also unless I am mistaken, I believe that soon there will be a driving test for 3.5 tonne (■■■■■■ vans) as well meaning that young lads wanting to drive lorries will need to do a
LGV theory test
Van driving test
7.5 tonne test
Class 2 test
Class 1 test
CPC

Not quite correct.
INITIAL CPC for the first upgrade test only.
The C1 test is the 3.5 to 7.5 test but can be by-passed by going directly to C.
C must be done before C+E

When applying for tests or mentioning catagories remember to use the current terminology of C1, C & C+E as using the old terminology of class 3, 2 , 1 will be confusing.
There is a difference in the modern catagories from the old sort but many old timers find it difficult to refer to the new terminology as they were brought up with the old.

dangerousdave:

Being a registered DSA LGV instructor does not give any guarantee that you will get a good instructor - it just says that they can pass an instructor test which does not include specific ‘on-the-job’ training.
Always go by personal recommendation for this.
The register is voluntary and there are many excellent LGV instructors out there who consider this register as a waste of time and money.
DSA REGISTERED INSTRUCTOR looks good to punters on the side of the training vehicle though :wink:

Being a registered DSA LGV instructor does not give any guarantee that you will get a good instructor - it just says that they can pass an instructor test which does not include specific ‘on-the-job’ training.
Always go by personal recommendation for this.
The register is voluntary and there are many excellent LGV instructors out there who consider this register as a waste of time and money.
DSA REGISTERED INSTRUCTOR looks good to punters on the side of the training vehicle though

I agree with Rog on this one.
I have been in the training sector for over 20 years with a very good pass rate and when the volountary register came in I decided against taking it as the criteria was so basic and did not allow for different methods of training to suit the particular trainee. We are all different and what sinks in one way with one trainee will have to be explained differently for another. Lots of driving schools have instructors who have been in the game for many many years and have no need for the register as their pass rate and good name speaks for itself.
As for the BIG question “Will I get a job when I pass my test?” Its like asking will the sun shine next bank holiday weekend!! Some guys are lucky and get a job right away, others have to shop around.
I agree with Dangerousdave that at this present moment in time things are hard all around and jobs are even more hard to come by that usual, but having said that - if you want to be a trucker then you will need to get the licence first so hanging about wondering wont really help.
I always advise taking the plunge and going for it. If you want a particular job that needs a particular qualification then you have to get that qualification first no matter what the job is.
…and if you do decide to go for it do it before September as has been explained above.
Good luck whatever you decide to do.

I wonder if blokes who have been driving for 30+ years and near retirement age are really going to sit in a classroom being lectured by a ten year old straight from uni!

Sorry, can’t let this one pass by!! The driver cpc need NOT be just classroom. Even the classroom sessions, if delivered properly, should be enjoyable (my feedback says it is) and as for the 10 year old from uni - - where did he come from■■? I’m 6 times his age, been in the trade since granny was a boy and been teaching 40 years.

I’ve delivered hundreds of driver cpc’s in the bus and coach sector and whilst most drivers start off very reluctantly and just not wanting to be there, it always turns out to be a great day - - - once all the myths have been dispensed with!

So how about we get our facts straight eh?

dangerousdave:
LGV theory test
Van driving test

I’ve not read/heard anything about this, have you got any further info? AFAIK the standard car test will still cover you up to 3.5t for the foreseeable future.

Is there anyone I havent just offended■■? :frowning:
The reason I mentioned DSA registered is cos I went to see a guy who trains drivers and he isn’t DSA registered. He wanted about the same amount of money for the training but I wasnt comfortable with what he was teaching me during my assessment.
He was teaching things like putting your right arm on the door whilst driving and holding the wheel near the bottom in the 20 to four position and holding the wheel between the thinb and forefinger on each hand only which I felt wasn’t correct. My theory was that if the DSA do the test and you are trained by a DSA instructor, they are both singing off the same hymn sheet, if you catch my drift.

dangerousdave:
Is there anyone I havent just offended■■?

You have not offended anyone but raised a point of discussion :smiley:

This subject has been discussed in depth - LGV INSTRUCTOR DEBATE

dangerousdave:
Is there anyone I havent just offended■■? :frowning:

I wasn’t offended either, I was genuinely interested in what you said about the van test :slight_smile:

I read somewhere that all new transits are restricted too but I dont know. I read somewhere that from 2009 people who do not have a licence will not get 3.5 tonne entitlement either but I’m not sure. I also read somewhere (I read too much) that now 7.5 tonne speed restrictions have been altered and stuff so they can’t do more than 60 on the motorway nor use lane 3 any longer either. I wonder how many car drivers with 7.5 tonne entitlement are going to be caught out now then?

dangerousdave:
I also read somewhere (I read too much) that now 7.5 tonne speed restrictions have been altered and stuff so they can’t do more than 60 on the motorway nor use lane 3 any longer either.

There are two types of 7.5s out there. Those with 56 mph restrictors and those without. Those with the limiters cannot use the outside lane of a motorway with more than 2 lanes - same as other limited LGVs

I would assume that if someone hired one or did a job involving the driving of one then they would be informed of those restrictions… hopefully…