Newbie needs wisdom about Class 2 test

Hey guys

Just found this forum and it has proved very useful, I am thinking about doing my Class 2 in the very near future
as the rates for 7.5 ton haven’t moved since the last time I did this kind of work some 3 years ago and you didn’t need a CPC then.

I am in my late 40s and got my licence when they were giving them away in 1990, never really used it till a few years ago when I started working for an agency in Essex, did that for 6 months and moved on, recently I have joined another agency and I am currently doing 2/3 days a week around my regular non driving job.

I have now decided to try and pass my Class 2 and find a permanent job in that field, I have got my provisional sorted, just need to do the theory and I am ready.

How long on average does it take to get a theory test date?
Is it hard or is it a lot of common sense?
Do I have a good chance of passing it if I read the book a few times?

Should I do a 5 day course with test at the end of it? means taking a whole week off work
and laying out a grand. How fast can you get a retest if it goes wrong?

Should I do a 4 hour lesson a week spreading the cost over 5 weeks and use the time on the agency as practice?
Should I take the auto test to get thru it easier and worry about gears when I get a job?
Can you use lorries with reversing cameras on the test as I have seen driving schools advertising them?

I am in East London/Essex borders, can anyone recommend a good school/instructor?
Or give an honest opinion on the following companies weather its good or bad?

crowlands.co.uk/lgv_rigid.html
very near me but no prices on website.

1stopinstruction.com/east-lo … ourses.php
also near me £999 for 20 hours and test.

thelgvman.com/hgv_training.html
also not far, £900, looks like a small operation so maybe a better service.

rsmdrivertraining.com/lgv-hg … ing-essex/
a bit further out but sounds good, no prices on site.

There seems to be several training schools at the same address in Wincanton’s Yard in Purfleet, can anybody shed any light on that?

Any help or sensible advice will be greatly appreciated…

Cheers.

Hi Pal, welcome to the forum! :smiley:

All your questions and more have been covered before, so i recommend you have a trawl back through some of the threads here…

But to give an overview answer to your questions…

Theory tests take a month or so to get a booking and it’s easy if you revise using the DVSA Theory test book.
(All I used and got 96 out of 100) - I’m gutted I got 4 wrong and wanted to know which! :imp:

Intensive courses are often 4 days and will cost upwards of £1200, not 1k. Not all course run during the week, as I’m doing both of mine Friday to Monday. Got my C+E coming up this Friday with the test on Monday. A residential course, at no extra cost with the forum sponsor - No, i’m not on commission! :cry: Just assured I have a top quality school…

Can’t comment about spreading the lessons, I’ll leave that to others…
I’d go Auto and make life as easy as possible. Why make it harder? :open_mouth:

You don’t need a reversing camera for the test mate, the ziptie on the side generally aligns with something on the ground to tell you have far back you need to go! :wink:
However, my work truck has one and I only use it to check there isn’t something up my chuff, or judging distance when reversing. For alignment, use your mirrors!

Can’t comment about the schools mate, but there have been a few horror stories on here, so do a search on the threads for them, or choose a vocally recommended trainer…
For example, ask your school of choice, what their retest fee’s are, as these can vary wildly… :wink:

Best of luck pal, and do hunt around some older threads.
I’ve even been know to post something useful… :smiley:

I will tell you my story, passed the theory tests, did the research on training schools. I live in the same area as you.
I only contacted the training schools recommended here on Trucknet.

Went to Crowlands, did the assessment drive, all good.
5 day course with the test at the end of fifth day. Training 1 instructor on 2 trainees, you swap with another person every 30 min or 1 hour. 8,5 hours everyday with short break.
Price £1200 + test fee £115
Waiting list - about month.

Next stop Roadtrain, West Thurrock.
Monday - classroom for 5 hours
Tuesday - Friday driving - 1 instructor 2 trainees
Next Monday test
Price £1200 (-£50 if you have done your medical and theory tests) + £115 test fee
Waiting list - about month.

The one you mentioned in Wincanton’s yard is Robinson’s training services. They are family business.
They do 4 or 5 days course, depends on your skills. I was offered 4 days course, as my assessment drive went really well.
They only do 1 to 1 training, that means you spend with instructor 4 straight hours every day at the wheel with short tea break.
Price £979 including test fee.
Waiting list - about two months.

I decided to go for Robinsons, because I like 1 to 1 training and a price is really good, I passed my theory yesterday, went straight to them and booked my course for 21st of December. And that’s for manual, if you prefer Auto, waiting list is even longer. That’s how long I need to wait. Also reserved slot for my C+E for 1st of February.

Any more questions - feel free to PM me.

Just found this forum and it has proved very useful, I am thinking about doing my Class 2 in the very near future
as the rates for 7.5 ton haven’t moved since the last time I did this kind of work some 3 years ago and you didn’t need a CPC then.

I am in my late 40s and got my licence when they were giving them away in 1990, never really used it till a few years ago when I started working for an agency in Essex, did that for 6 months and moved on, recently I have joined another agency and I am currently doing 2/3 days a week around my regular non driving job.

I have now decided to try and pass my Class 2 and find a permanent job in that field, I have got my provisional sorted, just need to do the theory and I am ready.

Should I do a 5 day course with test at the end of it? means taking a whole week off work

Should I do a 4 hour lesson a week spreading the cost over 5 weeks and use the time on the agency as practice?
Should I take the auto test to get thru it easier and worry about gears when I get a job?
Can you use lorries with reversing cameras on the test as I have seen driving schools advertising them?

I am in East London/Essex borders, can anyone recommend a good school/instructor?

also not far, also £999, looks like a small operation so maybe a better service.

There seems to be several training schools at the same address in Wincanton’s Yard in Purfleet, can anybody shed any light on that?

Cheers.
Tony Res MEMBER Posts: 2Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:20 pm

Hi, and welcome to the forum. Pleased you’re finding it informative. I’ll give my answers as well:

Theory test dates vary geographically - but expect 3 - 4 weeks. Not rocket science and reading the book will often be enough and sometimes not.

Traditionally, LGV training takes place over a week with the test at the end. This is either 1:1 for half days or 2:1 for full days. Either way, the job gets done though we all have our preferences. (Mine is 1:1). We frequently complete the course over a weekend with test Monday morning. So our candidates arrive from all over the UK on Sat morning (Friday eve if a very long way), work all day Sat and Sun, pass their test on Monday am (last one was 1 minor mark this Monday). This works very well with anyone who can concentrate. But if this is an issue, maybe the career choice is flawed?

The auto vs manual discussion will continue to rattle on. The fact is that there isn’t an easy answer. It’s clearly easier to pass the test with auto. Many trucks in the “real” world are manual - but they are also straight 6 boxes unless you get involved in multi-axle. Yes, it’s possible to get a range change or a splitter on a 2 axle vehicle but it’s not common. Two other points: you learn, possibly, on an 8 speed switched range change. How does this equip you for, say, a splitter? Or a slapover? You will be familiar with the type you learnt on and that’s good. But not a lot of use for all the other types. The main point though, is that up till mid - nineties, folks learned on a straight 5 speed box as a rule. And no-one taught them how to use a range change, splitter, etc. Is the current crop of new drivers suddenly thick? I don’t think so!! So it’s not difficult to sort out. One way of dealing with it is to pass on auto then have an hour on manual, just for peace of mind, without the pressure of test. I, personally, have no axe to grind. Our CAT C fleet is divided 50/50 manual and auto.

Retests are always an issue. Good trainers will not hold a great number of tests back for this as they’re not needed. Consequently, it can cause a hiccup if there is a “bad run”. There again, this varies geographically and I would be very sceptical of any promise made by a trainer as to the wait for a retest until the actual time. Our promise is that you will get a test asap. Sometimes this can be a month or so. Other times it’s no more than a few days. Strangely, it’s sometimes the candidate who builds in delays because of their own lack of availability but generally folks are very keen to get back quickly and we always do our best. There is recent evidence of this in another thread.

Weekly lessons can work. The downside is that stuff does get forgotten between any 2 sessions. If they are daily, this is normally recovered very quickly but if it’s a week it can become noticeable.

Use of reversing cameras on test is permitted. Personally, I would be more interested in knowing whether the trainer has a properly marked practice area of the correct dimensions. Very few have.

Reference the trainers you mention, I don’t have any personal knowledge of any of them. None of them are accredited by DVSA as LGV Training Centres. The list is here: dft.gov.uk/fyn/lgv.php

Your nearest on the list is Roadtrain. They also own the test centre. There is also Flair at Chelmsford. Not on the list but has a good reputation and is committed to the results.

Residential may be an option. As a Trucknet user you would get CAT C, cpc (periodic or Mods 2 and 4) and free accommodation for the duration of the practical training for a total cost of £1215. That’s going to take some beating!

looks like a small operation so maybe a better service.

Sorry, don’t understand that reasoning. Will there be a spare truck? Will the trucks be purchased new for the job? Will they have full maintenance facilities onsite? Will they have a dedicated customer care team waiting to take your call with any queries? Will they have their own test centre? Have they got a spare trainer in case of sickness/emergency?

I challenge anyone to better our customer service. We spend a fortune on it as I believe it to be equal top priority with the quality of training.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Duplicate post. Whoops!

I’ll throw my 2 penneth in to the ring!

I learned with Peter. Couldn’t fault the service in any way shape or form. They went above and beyond for me. Nothing was too much trouble and they never let me down at any stage.

I learned in T23, his manual Iveco. Gearbox was 4 over 4 and took me very little time to get used to. It’s different for everyone but the box itself isn’t hard to use at all. My instructor was called Nick, and he had the prince of a saint. Nothing was too much trouble.

Unfortunately I failed my first test, but I know in my own mind I had a crap drive and the nerves did me in. I failed this test on 20th October. Unfortunately the first retest I could get was the 8th December. Dis heartening but I understood why. Tracey from Peter Smythes told me if a cancellation became available it would be sorted for me. Cue a few days later I got a call and thanks to their efforts it was pulled forward to the 19th Novemebr. Much better and I felt happier knowing it was sooner. Then a few days later o received even better news that Peter had managed to wangle a Saturday test day for 31st October! I knew this must have taken some persuading as there just are t enough examiners around. Happily I passed this time!

Another benefit of using Peter is he is the test centre. Where you learn to reverse is where you will do it on your test so everything is familiar and less scary. This also means no wasted driving time and the instructors really do know the routes.

If funds had allowed I wouldn’t have hesitated booking my CE with them and will be doing in the future when I have the pennies available!

Whoever you decide to go with make sure you get assessment drives to work out what is best for you, but at 1215 for Cat C and CPC I don’t think you can match or beat it for quality.

Tony Res:
Hey guys

I waited roughly 2 weeks. To get theory test appointments

Mostly common sense to be honest.

I found the cdrom package the best as gives practice exams etc.

Did mine over 4 days test on the 5th. Apparently (currently doing my class 1) there’s a problem with testing dates as dvla examiners are refusing to work sat due to being told there will be no overtime paid.

I did mine in an automatic DAF now driving manual daf and have driven numerous boxes and tbh not had any problems as yet.

I believe they can be used but I’m sure Pete or one of the other instructors can verify this.

also not far, also £999, looks like a small operation so maybe a better service.

Cheers.

Answers all under the questions mate.
But my advice is simply do a few test drives with training companies. The more comfortable you feel with the instructor the more you’ll get on.

Hope some of what I’ve said is of help. And good luck

Thank you all for your advice, it answers most of my questions, thought I would be able to get appointments and training quicker but not a problem as I am not in a huge rush.

Peter: your school sounds great but it is in Mansfield and I seem to be surrounded by them in Essex.

On your DSA list there are loads of Wallace Schools, are they a franchise? has anybody used them?

wallaceschool.co.uk/courses/hgv/step-three

4 day Course - 3 days training and test on 4th day
Ideal for drivers with lots 3.5 tonne and/or lots 7.5 tonne experience
£800 +VAT plus DVSA test fee (weekday) £115 = Total £1075

Also what is the current thinking on 1 to 1 or 2 to 1 training?

1 to 1 = 4 hours training, day is gone anyway so does it make a difference if there are 2 learners for 8 hours?
I mean you are getting all the advice twice and watching the other guy driving as well as getting your own turn?

Thanks in advance…

By a small operation I mean a couple of very experienced guys with a couple of trucks
locally doing what they are best at, training to pass the test with no frills…

At present I have a choice of 10 schools in a 15 mile radius, prices range from £900 to £1300, that is a fair gap or a nice saving, I just need someone to point me in the right direction with a personal recommendation of someone who can do the business for me.

My next task is to ring round them and get a few assessment drives and prices/times/dates.

Thank you for your assistance, I will keep you posted.

Yes, there are a fair few trainers in your area. Wallace is not a franchise. They use a flaw in the accreditation system to allow listing of “outpost” sites. Personally, I don’t agree with it but that’s nothing to do with anything!

If you choose “no frills” you might come to realise that you would have been a lot better off with “frills”. I don’t suggest you follow that route but, obviously, it’s up to you.

Add the cost of cpc and I wouldn’t be surprised if “no frills” costs as much as us with loads of “frills”.

Also look at retest costs. A trainer in Nottingham (I know this isn’t particularly relevant to you but it’s not uncommon) is proud of the fact that he earns a great deal from retests. For me, I would be ashamed. My attitude is that we have one bite at the cherry - your course. After that, we don’t need to keep earning from you. You didn’t fail on purpose after all! Our retest, fully inclusive, is £243. Shop around - carefully.

The standards vary extremely widely due to the lack of regulation. You, for instance, could pass your test say in Fe 2016. Then go nowhere near a truck for 3 years. Then buy a knacker box, stick L plates on it and, with the aid of a fancy website, call yourself a driving school. That is honestly how it is.

But some of us have set ourselves apart by proving standards in many spheres and have gained DVSA Accreditation. These are the folks who will conduct your test so it’s well worth looking at.

If a trainer isn’t accredited, ask why? They probably are not even registered as an instructor - the vast majority aren’t.

Peter Smythe:
Yes, there are a fair few trainers in your area. Wallace is not a franchise. They use a flaw in the accreditation system to allow listing of “outpost” sites. Personally, I don’t agree with it but that’s nothing to do with anything!

If you choose “no frills” you might come to realise that you would have been a lot better off with “frills”. I don’t suggest you follow that route but, obviously, it’s up to you.

Add the cost of cpc and I wouldn’t be surprised if “no frills” costs as much as us with loads of “frills”.

Also look at retest costs. A trainer in Nottingham (I know this isn’t particularly relevant to you but it’s not uncommon) is proud of the fact that he earns a great deal from retests. For me, I would be ashamed. My attitude is that we have one bite at the cherry - your course. After that, we don’t need to keep earning from you. You didn’t fail on purpose after all! Our retest, fully inclusive, is £243. Shop around - carefully.

The standards vary extremely widely due to the lack of regulation. You, for instance, could pass your test say in Fe 2016. Then go nowhere near a truck for 3 years. Then buy a knacker box, stick L plates on it and, with the aid of a fancy website, call yourself a driving school. That is honestly how it is.

But some of us have set ourselves apart by proving standards in many spheres and have gained DVSA Accreditation. These are the folks who will conduct your test so it’s well worth looking at.

If a trainer isn’t accredited, ask why? They probably are not even registered as an instructor - the vast majority aren’t.

Very wise words.

My trainer was not accredited yet but they had trainers that were accredited with all the accreditations of the wall from there CPC to DVSA stuff, They pretty well known across Scotland and top guys.

However For my Class 1 & Class 2 + 2 retests + CPC it cost me about £3k meanwhile its cost one my mates £1,500 for his class 2 alone!

I booked my Multiple Choice and Hazard tests with the Ilford centre today, i take them on Sunday 6th December at 11am.

I already did my CPC last January as i regulary drive a 7.5 ton truck so i am on my way…

I already did my CPC last January as i regulary drive a 7.5 ton truck so i am on my way…

That’s interesting. I presume from the date mentioned that you now have a DQC to Jan 2020. Completing a further 35 hours at any point before then will extend it to Jan 2025. Some trainers are approved to count CAT C and CE as driver cpc hours so there’s no effort in gaining the hours that way. And, with us, you’d get all this completely free of charge - as well as any top up required to reach 35 hours.

I guess that the 5 year is the CPC i have, i will check it when i go home.

Now if i come to your school with a few years of part time 7.5 ton experience do you think i will be able to have a good go at passing the test if i do the Sat/Sun residential intensive course with test on Monday?

How many hours will that contribute towards the CPC extension?

How soon could i get a test date after my theory test on Dec 6th? assuming i pass of course, could i book a course right away to get in the queue and change it if things didnt go right on the theory?

Thanks in advance…

Many drivers with no experience of any size truck succeed with the full weekend of training. This contributes 14 hours to cpc as well.

I suggest you call the office and get dates for January. Give your Trucknet user name at the time of booking to secure your 10% discount and free driver cpc.

Hope this helps. All the best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Passed my Theory Test and my Hazard Perception today.

Quite pleased with that, paid £17.99 for the Theory book yesterday, read one third of it last night and got 94 out of 100.

Did nothing about the Hazard test cos i didnt have time and passed with 81 out of 100, was nervous about that one.

Onwards and upwards…

Booked my Class 2 training today with Peter Smythe Transport…

Tony Res:
Booked my Class 2 training today with Peter Smythe Transport…

Good choice, I did mine with Peter Smythe last year. Great trucks and instructors. Good luck.

Cheers mate…

Many thanks. Look out for the prize draw result tomorrow!