Disabled Driver

Hi everyone.

I thought I’d ask the community on what their opinion this

I currently in an office job that I am not liking at the moment, I. want to switch careers, I’ve always wanted to a hgv driver as a kid and I was really fascinated by them. I thought now would be a good time to get my licence but I may have an issue. I was born with cerebral palsy(Hemiplegia). Which means I am unable to use my arm fully. When I was 18 I passed my driving test. I use a steering ball and a lodgeson’s adaption .

I am worried if I become a HGV driver no one would employ me due to the adaption I need to drive as it would be an “extra cost” or and it would be a waste of time and money. I do have some questions

1. Is there any Training Centre’s that are willing to adapt their vehicles to get an HGV Licence?
    a) is there a way of going to a full class 1 licence or do I need to get class 2 first?
    b) Can I do a test in your own HGV

2. Do Haulage firm cover the cost of the adaption or would it come out of my pocket?
    a) Would I still be able to work for a firm if I owned my own truck
    b) If A is yes, would they cover day to day running like fuel?

Sorry if the questions don’t make any sense. I will answer any questions anyone have.

Is there any Training Centre’s that are willing to adapt their vehicles to get an HGV Licence?
a) is there a way of going to a full class 1 licence or do I need to get class 2 first?

1. Do Haulage firm cover the cost of the adaption or would it come out of my pocket?

Hi, and welcome to the forum. Firstly, credit due for not being beaten by a problem but looking for a solution instead.

Your first hurdle will be the medical. Section 7 of the Medical Report (D4) refers to matters that could affect maintaining full control of the vehicle. The doctor will need to make a judgement on that one.

So, to answer your questions, very doubtful a trainer will adapt their vehicle. Partly on cost and also takes the vehicle out of use for other trainees.
There is no way you can skip class 2.
Yes, you can take a test in your own vehicle but I would refer to the the minimum test vehicle requirements on gov.uk
(A trainer may well be offer you tuition in your own vehicle provided the above was ok.)
Doubt if a haulier would cover the cost of adaption (and that’s if they would do it anyway). It could be difficult for other drivers to use (I know this might not be the case) and causes major problems if “your” vehicle is off the road for any reason.
You could conceivably sub contract to another operator. To do this you would obviously need your vehicle for starters. The next biggy is the Operator Licence. In brief, you need to show financial standing, parking, maintenance facilities (or contract with a commercial garage), professional qualification (manager’s cpc) or employ the services of a freelance manager. This is all achievable but you will need guidance to get through it all. (Happy to help btw).
As a subcontractor, you will work on an agreed rate. Either by the job or by the mile. Fuel is one of the many costs that will need to be covered in this. Be careful you dont end up “buying a job”. I would never normally suggest that this is a way forward for a new driver. But, rightly or wrongly, your options are limited so perhaps it needs looking at. But not through rose tinted glasses and only with a great deal of care and diligence. Failure to do this will loose you your house - literally.
Hope this helps,

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

Is there any Training Centre’s that are willing to adapt their vehicles to get an HGV Licence?

1. Do Haulage firm cover the cost of the adaption or would it come out of my pocket?

Hi, and welcome to the forum. Firstly, credit due for not being beaten by a problem but looking for a solution instead.

Your first hurdle will be the medical. Section 7 of the Medical Report (D4) refers to matters that could affect maintaining full control of the vehicle. The doctor will need to make a judgement on that one.

So, to answer your questions, very doubtful a trainer will adapt their vehicle. Partly on cost and also takes the vehicle out of use for other trainees.
There is no way you can skip class 2.
Yes, you can take a test in your own vehicle but I would refer to the the minimum test vehicle requirements on gov.uk
(A trainer may well be offer you tuition in your own vehicle provided the above was ok.)
Doubt if a haulier would cover the cost of adaption (and that’s if they would do it anyway). It could be difficult for other drivers to use (I know this might not be the case) and causes major problems if “your” vehicle is off the road for any reason.
You could conceivably sub contract to another operator. To do this you would obviously need your vehicle for starters. The next biggy is the Operator Licence. In brief, you need to show financial standing, parking, maintenance facilities (or contract with a commercial garage), professional qualification (manager’s cpc) or employ the services of a freelance manager. This is all achievable but you will need guidance to get through it all. (Happy to help btw).
As a subcontractor, you will work on an agreed rate. Either by the job or by the mile. Fuel is one of the many costs that will need to be covered in this. Be careful you dont end up “buying a job”. I would never normally suggest that this is a way forward for a new driver. But, rightly or wrongly, your options are limited so perhaps it needs looking at. But not through rose tinted glasses and only with a great deal of care and diligence. Failure to do this will loose you your house - literally.
Hope this helps,

Hi Pete thank you very much for the detailed reply, as a Trainer would you think im making the right decision trying to go into this field or do you think its a bad idea with the current situation I face?

I’ve got Hemiplegia as well. I have a ball on the steering wheel but can drive a manual and use indicators. I’ve not got my HGV but it does interest me. if you can it could be an idea to visit Pete’s if they do an open day (Who knows when at the moment though) other training company’s may do them if they’re closer to home for you.

Years ago I did read a story about a guy with the same condition who got a job with Comet driving as their fleet was Volvo’s with Ishift’s. It might also be an idea to look into the Buses if you’d fancy that?

Your First hurdle will be your Medical. Although as above there are disabled drivers out there.

I always tell it as I see it. And I dont see it being a great time for new drivers this year. However, I’ve been wrong before - and I really hope I’m wrong this time!

As said, the first hurdle is a medical. These are available at our training centre NG17 3FW. Simply call 01623 555661 to arrange.

Stay safe everybody,

Peter Smythe:
I always tell it as I see it. And I dont see it being a great time for new drivers this year. However, I’ve been wrong before - and I really hope I’m wrong this time!

As said, the first hurdle is a medical. These are available at our training centre NG17 3FW. Simply call 01623 555661 to arrange.

Stay safe everybody,

Hi Pete thank you its valuable advise, I just want to be on the open road! Is there a way I could do C1 Licence or would I still need an O Licence?

You will need an Operator Licence to run any goods vehicle with a MAM over 3500kgs. So that’s in line with driver licencing.

If you’ve got the finance to train, why not go for it and see what happens? Otherwise the itch will just get worse!!

Where are you located?

Peter Smythe:
You will need an Operator Licence to run any goods vehicle with a MAM over 3500kgs. So that’s in line with driver licencing.

If you’ve got the finance to train, why not go for it and see what happens? Otherwise the itch will just get worse!!

Where are you located?

Northamptonshire/Leicestershire,

Yeah financing is that is what holding me back at the moment didn’t know getting an O Licence was so expensive haven’t got 13k sitting in the bank at the moment! :open_mouth:

Train for C1 or Class 2?

You have to train for class 2 (CAT C) first.

My advice is to go for it provided it doesn’t strain finances. Please dont go into debt for it. We’re in uncertain times and who knows what the next few months will look like? So dont do it if you would then be totally reliant on finding work quickly.

It could, of course, all turn out brilliantly. No-one knows so IMO this isn’t the time to be taking chances.

We’re not a thousand miles away if you want to get your medical done and perhaps make gentle steps towards the dream.

MadMike:
… Is there a way I could do C1 Licence or would I still need an O Licence?

Hi Mike,

I’ll try to explain it this way for you… (Says he hopefully!)

An ‘O’ licence (and all that Pete has already explained that goes with it) is normally needed for any vehicle >3.5t when it is carrying goods in connection with a trade or business.

:bulb: Think of this as a carrier’s licence, which entitles the holder to perform the carriage of goods.

The assumption here is that you are going to own your own vehicle, so generally speaking…

• If the goods being carried are your own (eg; you’re buying/selling the goods,) then you’ll need an Own Account ‘O’ licence.

• If the goods being carried belong to somebody else and you’re charging somebody for the service of carrying/delivering them, then you’ll need a Standard National 'O’licence. (AKA: hire and reward.)

An ‘O’ licence and a driving licence are two separate beasts, so a driving licence is needed by a driver of a vehicle regardless of which type of ‘O’ licence the vehicle’s operator (usually the owner) holds.

Th C1 driving licence you asked about is a driving licence for a vehicle that has a permitted maximum weight (including the load carried) of >3.5 t - <7.5t [For clarity: heavier than 3.5t, but NOT heavier than 7.5t]
C1 vehicles normally need an ‘O’ licence.

My other advice is the same as Pete’s, but I can think of an alternative for you to consider.

Follow Pete’s advice, but then maybe seek employment/experience as a driver before committing yourself to the additional burdens of owning/operating/driving your own vehicle all at once, because let’s just say… there’s an awful lot to it. :open_mouth:

PS. I’ve left out the really complicated stuff so as to attempt to leave you with an uncomplicated answer. :smiley:

For a REALLY complicated answer, just ask. There’s little else to do at the moment