New to hgv

Hello everyone, i just have afew questions. I am going for my class 2 license next month, january 20th. I have never drove any type of large vehicle and never thought about it until about 2 years ago but i need a change in life. I am 22 years old and a bit of a nervous character but want to do really well in this career. Fingers crossed i pass first time :slight_smile:

. do they look for same faults in driving etc as car test?
. I hear its hard to find work with no experience, is it true? If so any advice given on how to start up is appreciated
.should someone who has never driven hgv start with class 2 then work up to class 1
. Any advice for starting trucking would be appreciated, things you should and shouldn’t do…id just like as much info as possible before test day.

1. Yes, and some more. As an HGV driver you need to show your observation is on top form, along with road position and anticipation.

2. Its as difficult as you make it. Searching for jobs, knocking on doors and signing up for agencies you’ll be in work in no time at all

3. Entirely your choice. Based on confidence, finances and jobs availability in your area.

4. When on your test it is not a race, take your time and look well up the road to anticipate what is happening next. Get your theory out of the way first. It can help on your test. Also it helps that you’re not worrying about your theory (Mods 1,2 and 4) whilst trying to concentrate on Mod 3.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Have you checked out the link in my signature below :question:

LGV examiners know you are already a ‘driver’ so expect you to drive as such along with doing all the things you did on your car test

As a driver you know how to stop, steer etc which is why LGV learner vehicles do not have dual controls

stuwozere1:

1. Yes, and some more. As an HGV driver you need to show your observation is on top form, along with road position and anticipation.

2. Its as difficult as you make it. Searching for jobs, knocking on doors and signing up for agencies you’ll be in work in no time at all

3. Entirely your choice. Based on confidence, finances and jobs availability in your area.

4. When on your test it is not a race, take your time and look well up the road to anticipate what is happening next. Get your theory out of the way first. It can help on your test. Also it helps that you’re not worrying about your theory (Mods 1,2 and 4) whilst trying to concentrate on Mod 3.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Thankyou i have completed theory test, hazard perception and cpc. Just the driving part to do now and other couple of modules.

ROG:
Have you checked out the link in my signature below :question:

Was just having a look through that, alot of reading so ill have to have a good look at it once i get the chance. Some good info on it. Thanks

JockG:
Hello everyone, i just have afew questions. I am going for my class 2 license next month, january 20th. I have never drove any type of large vehicle and never thought about it until about 2 years ago but i need a change in life. I am 22 years old and a bit of a nervous character but want to do really well in this career. Fingers crossed i pass first time :slight_smile:

. I hear its hard to find work with no experience, is it true? If so any advice given on how to start up is appreciated
.should someone who has never driven hgv start with class 2 then work up to class 1
. Any advice for starting trucking would be appreciated, things you should and shouldn’t do…id just like as much info as possible before test day.

Im 23 and passed my Cat C about 6 months ago now. In answer to your questions from my experience.

1. They do but obviously you’re driving a vehicle much larger and heavier than any car, so be safe, take your time & don’t try and squeeze into gaps that are not there. My instructor told me I wasn’t ready for my practical after 3 days training but test day came and I only failed with one minor (checked my left mirror a little later than I should of done, once past a parked van).

2. In my experience (bearing in mind, I only passed about 6 months ago) finding a job has never been easier, actually I’ve had two. I started off at a small family run builders merchant got used to driving lorries & moved onto a haulage company. I’ve got to be honest, the haulage company was awful, lasted there just over 3 weeks and now going back to where I started in the new year. Depends where you are located I guess.

3. I’m assuming you mean start with class 2 experience and then upgrade to Class 1 in months/years to come? Or do them back-to-back? I just did my class 2 and left it at that for now. I wish I had done them back-to-back (assuming you can afford to do it like that). If you pass your class 1, that doesn’t mean you have to jump straight into a job driving artics but at least you’ve got the option too should you decide it is something you want to do.

4. Don’t panic about it. Everyone has to start somewhere and if you fail, try again. As for advice once you’ve got your license and got a job; I have noticed that (haulage companies) in particular have a habit of rushing you, and trying to get maximum work out of people, new drivers or not. You will probably experience long days to begin with becasue you are new to it and naturally will be slower than someone who has been doing it for years, months even.
    The first few weeks I was out on my own and I was awfully slow at the job, mainly because I wanted to do it right & 6 months on, I’m faster than some of the people at the firm who have been doing it for years. Just remember to stay safe and if strapping a load down for example means you work an extra half and hour then so be it. Don’t cut corners & stay safe, no one can moan at you for that.

Hopefully you’ll find this helpful, and remember these are just a few points from my experience so far.

IVIatt96:

JockG:

Im 23 and passed my Cat C about 6 months ago now. In answer to your questions from my experience.

1. They do but obviously you’re driving a vehicle much larger and heavier than any car, so be safe, take your time & don’t try and squeeze into gaps that are not there. My instructor told me I wasn’t ready for my practical after 3 days training but test day came and I only failed with one minor (checked my left mirror a little later than I should of done, once past a parked van).

2. In my experience (bearing in mind, I only passed about 6 months ago) finding a job has never been easier, actually I’ve had two. I started off at a small family run builders merchant got used to driving lorries & moved onto a haulage company. I’ve got to be honest, the haulage company was awful, lasted there just over 3 weeks and now going back to where I started in the new year. Depends where you are located I guess.

3. I’m assuming you mean start with class 2 experience and then upgrade to Class 1 in months/years to come? Or do them back-to-back? I just did my class 2 and left it at that for now. I wish I had done them back-to-back (assuming you can afford to do it like that). If you pass your class 1, that doesn’t mean you have to jump straight into a job driving artics but at least you’ve got the option too should you decide it is something you want to do.

4. Don’t panic about it. Everyone has to start somewhere and if you fail, try again. As for advice once you’ve got your license and got a job; I have noticed that (haulage companies) in particular have a habit of rushing you, and trying to get maximum work out of people, new drivers or not. You will probably experience long days to begin with becasue you are new to it and naturally will be slower than someone who has been doing it for years, months even.
    The first few weeks I was out on my own and I was awfully slow at the job, mainly because I wanted to do it right & 6 months on, I’m faster than some of the people at the firm who have been doing it for years. Just remember to stay safe and if strapping a load down for example means you work an extra half and hour then so be it. Don’t cut corners & stay safe, no one can moan at you for that.

Hopefully you’ll find this helpful, and remember these are just a few points from my experience so far.

Good point about time taken to do a job/speed.
Don’t try to go faster, or cut corners in a job to save time. Just do it correctly and smoothly, and you’ll get quicker with experience.