Start of the journey!

Hi all, been having a long hard think for a while about getting my class 2 so last week i took the plunge and booked in for my medical to get the ball rolling. My medical is not until the end of May for reasons out of my hands (mainly so i could get it cheap, £48). Now i know reading through the threads and posts most drivers get their hgv license to work full time at it, well i’m mainly getting it so i can use it for weekend work. I currently work full time in the week for not a lot of dollar and i think a hgv license would cover me if i was to start studying at college in the week, but who knows i may get the bug and it could become a career. I just think it opens up a variety of doors.
My brothers a class 1 driver and i’ve been out with him before and i sort of know what to expect, it seemed something i could be happy doing. So i’ll keep you updated on how everythings going, hopefully i’ll be flipping motorists the bird and clipping kerbs soon! (joke).
But seriously i do have one question that i hope someone can clear up, my medicals not until the end of May as i stated, do i have to wait until i get my provisional back before i can sit the theory tests? I’m thinking so but could someone clear that up it’s the only thing i can’t find info on.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Yes you will need to have your provisional before you can book theory tests. I would check locally to make sure weekend work is available otherwise you could spend a lot of hard earned and be snookered at the first hurdle.

All the best with it - and fire away with any questions.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks Pete
The job market is something i’ve looked at, not much point in doing it if the jobs are not there. Seems to be a good stream of agency work (at the moment), and a few state new drivers welcome (at the moment). Won’t be the best work i know but you have to start somewhere.

Welcome aboard!

I’m also doing it for weekend work, to start with at least. If the day job goes under its good to have a backup plan :slight_smile:

Good luck going forward

The only issue I could see for only doing it at the weekend I’d the working time and weekly rests, now I have minimal experience but think I’m correct in saying that even if your weekday work isn’t driving, you would still need to have at least 24 hour rest a week and a clear 45 hour rest period every 2 weeks, in affect only letting you 2 days a month.

But there are people here with more knowledge than me that will be able to help you better.

Havn’t thought about that issue to be honest. I’ll have to have a look into it. I just thought their was a maximum average hours you could work every week/month.

There is a max amount of hours you can work, but there is also a minimum amount of rest required too. Would be worth looking at.

It usually works out that people working full time mon-fri can only drive every other Saturday to stay legal.

That is a general rule of thumb and circumstances can change that

So… Went for my medical yesterday, must be the easiest £48 i’ve ever seen someone make. Less than 10 minutes and i was walking out with a completed D4. All done and my license is all ready to be sent away tomorrow for the provisional C entitlement to be added. Added bonus i thought you had to pay for the provisional, free is my favourite word :smiley:

The lads above are correct. I would think very carefully before you shell out potentially £1500 for a license.

Its a lot of money for 2 days a month. Also getting a license does not mean that you will instantly get work either.

Thanks eagerbeaver , yes i do realise this now. I think i will change my circumstances when the time comes, to allow me to drive more than 2 days a month!

So i’ve been a bit quiet! Counting down the days to the theory and hazard perception test’s. Today was the day and i’m happy to report i passed. 93 on the theory and 85 on the hazard perception, i was really pleased with the hazard perception because i kept thinking i was going to fail it! So just need the certificate number and i can book my practical training. I also have my mod 2 in 12 days time to contend with.

Also i’ve been busy with an assessment drive which i had on sunday with Peter Smythe Transport Training, A great insight into driving class C’s and i will most definitely be booking my training with them. I went out with Chris at 7.00am and i was very nervous to be honest, Chris drove us to an industrial estate to get to grips with the truck, a couple of times around it and away we went on the roads. After about ten minutes i was more relaxed and loving it!
Reversed it back inbetween two trucks at the end (Chris watching). No curbs hit and back in one piece :smiley: .

I recommend anybody to have an assessment drive not only to see if your comfortable with the company but it’s also a great way to see how you are likely to get on with the truck!

Glad you passed pal! And your certificate number should be on the door mat within a few days (Think mine took 4 days!)

You beat me on the Hazard Perception :smiley: But I did get excluded form my first clip for clicking like a gamer when i saw the hazard! :unamused:

As for the Theory test, you weren’t trying pal! :wink:

Best of luck with your training at Pete Smythe’s!

Thanks! I was hoping for a higher score on the theory to be honest but a pass is a pass! Going to phone up tomorrow i think to get the training booked in.

eagerbeaver:
The lads above are correct. I would think very carefully before you shell out potentially £1500 for a license.

Its a lot of money for 2 days a month. Also getting a license does not mean that you will instantly get work either.

I agree with eagerbeaver and was going to post the same. :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

If I was a client and looking for a C or C+E weekend driver the first question would be How long have you had your licence followed by who do you drive for now followed by how old are you. You need to consider this before jumping in. Why not phone an agency up and ask if there are any jobs, tell them you passed your test last month and see what they say? :wink:

Probably looking at closer to 2k to get your Class C, than 1.5K. And that is assuming you pass first time…

Evil8Beezle:
Probably looking at closer to 2k to get your Class C, than 1.5K. And that is assuming you pass first time…

Paid £900 for mine or £1350 to include everything from medical, theory etc. Also CPC inc in that so is doable for under 1.5k :smiley:

Thanks for the replies. I will be looking for weekly work now after i’ve passed.

DaveB68:

Evil8Beezle:

Paid £900 for mine or £1350 to include everything from medical, theory etc. Also CPC inc in that so is doable for under 1.5k :smiley:

I think it depends how many lessons you have/need or get for your money. And I was including the CPC, as without it, your Class C isn’t worth a lot! :smiley:

Glad you managed to save a few quid!

Evil8Beezle:

DaveB68:

Evil8Beezle:

I think it depends how many lessons you have/need or get for your money. And I was including the CPC, as without it, your Class C isn’t worth a lot! :smiley:

Glad you managed to save a few quid!

To be fair I budgeted more than that, then had an assessment to which he said you only need 2 lessons (2 x 8 hour with 2 of us so around 4 hours driving per lesson) otherwise for 3 days it would have been just over 1.5k in all (if I passed first time). Was quoted a fair whack more than that from other local training providers though :unamused: