New pass checking in and saying hello!

Afternoon all,

Stumbled across this little gem of a site yesterday and decided to sign up, totally new to the industry having spent 20yrs in management in various industries, got made redundant in July and decided to change careers and here I am.

Passed class 2 in Dec and class 1 in Jan, just accepted a full time role yesterday tramping which I start training next week.

Will be interesting times ahead! lol

Anybody got any tips on what i need to take with me?

PASSING CE ARTIC.jpg
PASSING CE WD.jpg
LPLATE.jpg
PASSING FIREWORKS.gif

Not what to take with you as I’m not a trampers, but I’m a relatively new driver (2 years to the day since I passed C+E).

When you first go out there on your own you’ll be nervous as hell, I didn’t think I would be but boy was I wrong. Take your time, confidence will come later. As for reversing it is absolutely nothing like the driving test, you won’t be able to get the trailer where you want it so again take your time, if it takes 20 shunts then so be it.

Things I take with me: phone charger, inflatable pillow, road atlas, sat nav, book and tablet. I also have an emergency £50 in my bag in case on a very rare occasion I have to stop out. I also have a chamois for my mirrors, a bottle of water and a tupperware tub full of tablets/plasters/bandages.

Well done on the pass and good luck for the future!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Well done on Passing. I’m in a very similar situation to you. I was laid off March last year after 20 years in Financial Services and while I wouldn’t say I have given up on that world I feel like it’s time for a change in career and life goals.

I start work on Monday and can’t wait to get going. The main points I have taken on from this forum and speaking to drivers I know are pretty much exactly as above…

1. Don’t rush ANYTHING. Rushing = Mistakes
  2. You won’t get everything right first time but if you follow point 1 it is unlikely to be worse than feeling like a Newb!
  3. Ask questions and be a sponge of information
  4. see point 1

Best of luck on the road!

When you are struggling to reverse park at the services or a RDC , it will be a foreign driver that will jump out of his cab and banksman you in , an English driver will just sit in his cab eating Pot Noodle and in a sarcastic way , roll his eyes at the driver next to him and give a clap at the end.
The temptation when tramping is to drive to say nine or ten hours and only leave ten minutes to find over night parking , it is better to leave an hour and save the stress .
If the last resort is a lay by , with the trailer internal strap or a ratchet strap , tie up the rear near side door of the trailer rear door , or kerb side , to show you are empty , if you tie the off side or road side , and the door becomes loose in the night , it is flapping in the wind and in to passing traffic .

Buy lots of water from Lidl or Aldi , it is about 30 p per bottle , even in the Winter months , the cab enviroment is dry , and you can dehydrate very quickly , MSA water is a rip off and so is their coffee , a good Thermos will save money , some truck stops charge about 50 p to fill it .

Wet wipes are a must when there is no shower , keep the radio on the traffic alert button for warnings of road closures ahead .A box a medicine is ideal for headaches and upset tummy .

Is this your 1st job and straight into tramping?

KeefG76:
Afternoon all,

Stumbled across this little gem of a site yesterday and decided to sign up, totally new to the industry having spent 20yrs in management in various industries, got made redundant in July and decided to change careers and here I am.

Passed class 2 in Dec and class 1 in Jan, just accepted a full time role yesterday tramping which I start training next week.

Will be interesting times ahead! lol

Anybody got any tips on what i need to take with me?

Just imagine you are going on a camping trip where pack weight isn’t a problem.

I keep lots of stuff in my truck and just leave it there when I finish for the week, so less stuff to load into it on a Monday.

Take as much stuff as you can to make your life as comfortable on the road as can be. Tramping can be lonely in my experience so anything to make your life easier helps.

I take lots of my own food that’s easy to prepare such as.
bread /pre sliced cheese/wheat crackers/pre packed meals like tuna salads etc/ bag of fruits etc etc. Also take plenty of water.

A 24volt kettle is a great thing to have in your cab.

You can just live out of service stations but it gets expensive and its not that healthy.

Thanks all for the replies, I’m 3 days into my new career as I’m training on days this week and spent them all on steel flatbeds and absolutely loving it!

I’ve already learnt sooooooo much, most important of which is dont rush anything which has already been mentioned lol

Tramping starts next week I think but I’m itching to get out by myself!

No need for over night secure parking when you are on the steel flat bed work , park it where you want to , except for Kent , with their anti lorry brigade .
If you are waiting for hours to tip at a supermarket RDC , and arrived on time , look out for Mr I am in a hurry , he normally drives a rigid or van and will ask waiting drivers to go in the front of the queue , he will say his wife has booked an anniversary meal , has an appointment for the dentist /doctor or the vets , because his Mrs rang to say they have to put the budgie down has it broke it`s leg .

Mind out for the shunter , they do essential work , maybe best not to upset them , and the same for fork lift drivers , both these drivers think they own the yard , and will shout out " Cant you read that sign ,you will have to wait now ." This is the naughty corner . Most factories and RDCs have a cheap canteen , but most do not allow visiting drivers, no harm in asking .
The staff have a swipe card for their hot drinks and food so may not let you get food and drink .