Sorry - Another Class 1 New Pass Experience Thread

Hi Folks,

So as a fresh Class 2 and 1 pass, I’m getting frustrated at the lack of opportunities for new pass drivers. How are we supposed to get experience?!

Don’t quite follow the Class 2 experience as it’s quite different to Class 1?

Applied to Maratime a week ago and haven’t heard a jot.

I appreciate there’s a possible insurance query and risk to the employer, however how are us new passes supposed to start?

I can’t do agency work as I have three mortgages and mouths to feed so need guaranteed work.

I spent a lot of effort and money in passing the tests and now feel a bit downhearted as I deliver my 90 parcels a day doing multidrop.

Chin up mate. Who do you multi drop for? Do they not any opportunities for career progression?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abzyyy:
Chin up mate. Who do you multi drop for? Do they not any opportunities for career progression?

Thanks. I’d rather not say on here as they’ve been good to me and would like to let them know about my intention to move on via myself. There’s only a evening/morning Trunk so no scope for progression unfortunately.

Just been on Indeed and every advert says they want minimum of 1 year Class 1.

Ah ok. A lot of ppl slag Stobarts off, but you may wanna give them a try. Pay maybe a little low I reckon but they have plenty of work and tend to take on new starters. Plus side kit seems to be new.

Register with some of the big agencies in your area that supply lots of drivers all year round to the big clients in your area so that you can find out who takes on new drivers in your area. If a client takes on new drivers through an agency, they almost always take on new drivers directly. In fact, some clients will take on new drivers directly but will only take agency drivers with some experience.

The agencies will send you for assessments with the big clients. Find out who these big clients are and don’t go to the assessment, but instead apply directly to them for a job. If you don’t get the job, you can always go agency. My agency offered me guaranteed 4 or 5 day shifts each week with one client, so guaranteed regular work is available…at least with the better agencies.

I’ve just had a look on indeed, and I can’t find any clients that will take on new Class 1 drivers in my area. The client that I started out with as a new driver no longer takes on new drivers. Maybe there are too many drivers so clients simply don’t need to take the extra risk that taking on new drivers entails.

Just to add to the above, agencies may only have one client or no clients who take on new Class 1 passes. They certainly aren’t awash with clients who take on new passes. It looks like most clients want at least 1 year’s experience, often 2 years’ experience. Occasionally a client only asks for 6 months’ experience. Maybe do Class 2 until you’ve had your Class 1 for 1 or 2 years…or go to Stobarts.

Tekno:

abzyyy:

Thanks. I’d rather not say on here as they’ve been good to me and would like to let them know about my intention to move on via myself. There’s only a evening/morning Trunk so no scope for progression unfortunately.

Adverts 99.999% so say min one year experience. However some will say they have been employed at such places without a year, and without lying.
(Note, don’t lie)
It isn’t a good employment situation for anyone at the moment, and maybe covid means you can’t go barging uninvited into places. The old and good advice was to put your boots and hiviz in your car and go knocking on doors. But now you’ll need to find some different way to get yourself seen.
Try a hand written letter hand posted through a letter box? Shows you’re keen and are active. It won’t get lost in the mass of emails every boss gets.
Good luck anyway.

A lot depends on where you are, I know of some Tyneside companies that have a reputation for giving new passes a start, but chances are that wouldn’t be helpful.

Where abouts do you live.Try Turners or Stobarts they get bad press but give new passes a chance.Give it a go you never know.Even Tesco if there is one near you.

Thanks guys. I’m in Bordon, Hampshire GU35. 30 mins North of Portsmouth.

Tekno:

abzyyy:

ask the TM if you could do the trunk when the driver is on holiday…at least you’ll be getting some Class 1 experience :slight_smile:

Even if the advertised jobs say 1 year experience etc, it may still be worth applying, some places will use a template everytime they advertise a job and the restrictions in the advert may or may not still stand, my boss advertises asking for 2 years experience but he has taken people on with less and even new passes.

ask the TM if you could do the trunk when the driver is on holiday…at least you’ll be getting some Class 1 experience

This makes so much sense IMO. Bearing in mind that most folks are off work around 6 weeks per year and there’s both morning and evening trunks, this gives opportunity for at least 12 weeks work in the year. Add in a bit of sickness/self isolating and you could be looking at a bit more. If you can do this and prove yourself you’ll be in pole position for the job regularly when one of the drivers leaves for any reason. Or, of course, they might need an extra driver so you’re in.

Seems good to me. All the best with it.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

So 4 months or so on from my post and still absolutely NOTHING. All employers want minimum of a year at least.

Getting totally fed up to be honest. I’m going to do remote HIAB w/ hook and grab in a few weeks but can’t see why the experience issue will change. Possibly more money down the drain!

Why there isn’t a more managed avenue for new passes I’ll never know.

Sorry to hear that not having the best time, probably been one of the worse years to have been on the hunt for a job, keep trying, have as many local companies Facebook pages liked, and join local Facebook groups good way to keep up on who’s hiring

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Well I dont see why you are throwing more money down the drain doing Hiab training if you cant get class 1 or 2 work.

Getting class 2 and class 1 work is relatively easy.
You work for a multi drop firm. I dont know which one you work for but you have experience.
TNT, Fedex, Tuffnells, DX Freight are all parcel firms that often are begging for class 1 and class 2 drivers. They will actually like the fact that you have multi drop experience.

Pallet network firms are always after people.

2 Man delivery firms are desperate for driving at the moment.

There is work there. Dont waste more money on hiab training. In fact my advice to anyone is never pay for hiab training with your own money unless you know you have a job waiting. Its such a waste of money.