John Lewis 7.5 tonne assessment (advice)

Hi everyone, been lurking for a while, this forum was very helpful to me when I passed my class C in November 2018, thanks.
I have my first driving assessment next week with John Lewis and was wondering if anyone can tell me anything about the 7.5 tonne hgv’s.
Are they smaller than class C hgv’s?
More likely to have manual gearboxes?

I’ve enquired with a local training group about taking a refresher, they’ve offered me a C1 or C refresher and given me the choice of manual or automatic.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are they smaller than class C hgv’s?
More likely to have manual gearboxes?

YES X2

Thanks

Where abouts is the depot you’re looking to work out of ?

A user called: steviespain Did 7.5T John Lewis from memory, if you want to search some of his posts if he doesn’t turn up here

The trucks will either be manual 6 speed or auto (driven the odd 7.5T auto). All the ones I’ve seen are a little smaller than your average 18T but not massively.

I think Steve was on agency but don’t remember him complaining about any assessments. Just like anything, use the tacho properly and brush up on driver rules esp the WTD stuff as apparently they are hot on that.

As a side note, the biggest factor with the job is a lot of manual lifting from washing machines to beds, sofas etc.
to any room in the house. You do get a drivers mate (hopefully a decent person) and its well paid by all accounts.

Thanks for the replies

Be presentable,polite and risk averse

Thanks to those who replied, I got the job [emoji3060]

I’ll give a breakdown on the interview process in the hope it may be helpful to others.

Applied and got an interview 11 days later. This was 2:1 one person was mostly taking notes while the other asked usual questions. Tell me a time type questions. I also had a test based around driver hours and tacho use. I think it was 25 questions. The first interview lasted about an hour and wasn’t very stressful, the interviewers were really nice.

Then had a group assessment and driving assessment 1 week later. There was 8 of us in the group assessment which involved 4 assessors taking notes as we discussed a scenario and took individual notes on what our actions would be based on the scenario. The scenario was a typical day with time sensitive deliveries, known traffic issues and a sick call. It was quite informal, the assessors were taking notes and not getting involved with the discussions.
We then had an eye test and driving assessment. Vehicle checks and then a 30 min drive. Again everyone Involved was very friendly. All together this was about 4 hrs long.

Then just over 2 weeks after that I got a job offer.
It was 5 weeks from when I first applied to job offer.

Hokumclone:
Thanks to those who replied, I got the job [emoji3060]

I’ll give a breakdown on the interview process in the hope it may be helpful to others.

Applied and got an interview 11 days later. This was 2:1 one person was mostly taking notes while the other asked usual questions. Tell me a time type questions. I also had a test based around driver hours and tacho use. I think it was 25 questions. The first interview lasted about an hour and wasn’t very stressful, the interviewers were really nice.

Then had a group assessment and driving assessment 1 week later. There was 8 of us in the group assessment which involved 4 assessors taking notes as we discussed a scenario and took individual notes on what our actions would be based on the scenario. The scenario was a typical day with time sensitive deliveries, known traffic issues and a sick call. It was quite informal, the assessors were taking notes and not getting involved with the discussions.
We then had an eye test and driving assessment. Vehicle checks and then a 30 min drive. Again everyone Involved was very friendly. All together this was about 4 hrs long.

Then just over 2 weeks after that I got a job offer.
It was 5 weeks from when I first applied to job offer.

What about this job, do you like it? What are positives and negatives?

Sent from my HUAWEI LYO-L01 using Tapatalk

I’ll give it a few weeks and I’ll give an update[emoji106]

Hokumclone:
I’ll give it a few weeks and I’ll give an update[emoji106]

No problem[emoji106]

Sent from my HUAWEI LYO-L01 using Tapatalk

YEs, sorry, sorry, sorry, totally missed this, been busy as ****!

Seems like you don’t need me now anyway :smiley:

What depot, Hokumclone? DOn’t have to say if you don’t want to.

Different strokes and all that but the depot I’m at is absolutely [zb] HOT on WTD and driving hours. So much so that I’ve been suspended from driving for an unspecified time for being a minute over 6 hours (TAcho was 5 mins fast, busy busy day, went to the wire, took the time of me sat nav, went 1 min over WTD) one week, doing the same again next week, suspended from driving. On, now, as just a Porter, 5 quid less an hour and fewer days a week.
So, be careful, BIG time :slight_smile:

Couple things I meant to say earlier, I forgot because it’s been a nice short day, 13 hours, of ■■■■■■■ double divan beds up four floors, washing machines up 3, getting screamed at, on the phone, by a husband and wife, TOGETHER, because I cancelled their delivery as we’d ran out of hours . That was fun :smiley:

You got a job as a John Lewis Partner? In which case…well done!
Or as Agency Scum, in which case…get ready for cancelled days, especially at this time of year.

I’m guessing, from the sound of your posts, Partner? Nice one. If that IS the case then they’ve already assessed you as being slightly more intelligent and capable than 90% of the dingbats looking for 7.5t work :laughing: .
The people you’ll work with, the guys doing the same job as you? Lovely people.
Management? Excellent. Well, at my place they are, YMMV :smiley:

Job for life, do the training courses they offer, be a Level 4 Technician after 2-3 years, pay increase. Salaried.

If in doubt…ASK! If you don’t, and you screw up? Bad things will happen. Do NOT be afraid to phone in and say “what do I do in this situation”!!!
Pass the buck!
Eyes and ears open, mouth shut (Unless you have a good question)

'K enough, I’m starting to waffle on.
Good luck bro.
Any questions you think I can help with…feel free to ask.

Cheers Stevie, yeah not agency but not quite partner either. I have to see out the 90 day probationary period before that’s official[emoji16]

I actually got ahead of myself with my previous post, regarding when I thought I was going to start after accepting the job. It took a further 16 days for the pre employment security checks to be done by the security watchdog. Then I got my start date. (Next month I start)[emoji85]

I’m really looking forward to it. It’s going to be a learning curve which I don’t mind and I’m not shy when it comes to a bit of physical graft.

Yeah, see, you already sound like a Partner. You can spell, you understand grammar and punctuation! :smiley: