Getting experience

No doubt this has been asked before. I’m thinking of changing career after 30 years to get my C + E and possibly ADR licence. What is the best way to get experience after (hopefully) passing the test to build up to ADR work?

Get a job?
Seriously thou, give an idea where you live and ppl can give you an idea of places to look …

You don’t really need experience for trucking, many companies and agencies are crying out for truckers and will be willing to hire you with no experience whatsoever.

Perks of entering into a career where the demand is higher than the supply I guess.

TruckerWannabe123:
You don’t really need experience for trucking, many companies and agencies are crying out for truckers and will be willing to hire you with no experience whatsoever.

Perks of entering into a career where the demand is higher than the supply I guess.

How do you come to that conclusion when there is not a general driver shortage :question:

There is a shortage of drivers for the lower paid crap jobs that are out there. There are lots of those companies advertising and taking on permanently as they are desperate for ‘bums on seats’. While that’s no good for an experienced driver it’s ideal for new starters as these companies will take you on, get you enough experience to then have a shot at a position with decent money/conditions.
It is worth noting however that even a crap job driving class 1 is still miles better than most jobs in retail etc …

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

You will be able to get experience if you put the effort into finding work but as a new pass its not exactly common to walk into a job straight away. Your best bet is starting with a few agencies and applying for jobs during that time.

If you want to do it then do it, just don’t go into it thinking that companies will be lining up to take you on.

Jeffrey32:
No doubt this has been asked before. I’m thinking of changing career after 30 years to get my C + E and possibly ADR licence. What is the best way to get experience after (hopefully) passing the test to build up to ADR work?

I suppose the best way would be to do some agency work on your days off, the way I see it is that after 30 years in the same career there’s no sense in jumping ship until you’ve checked the depth and quality of the water.

I started full time work the day after I passed my class 1. And since then I have heard of at least 2 more places in my local area who take on new passes. And then there’s always stobarts…
This is down in Kent thou, not sure how easy or hard it is to find work in other areas of the country, but I’m sure if OP tells up where he is somebody on here will give him a couple of company names he can try…

where abouts in kent as hopefully tomorrow I pass my rigid

I’ll pm you…

ROG:

TruckerWannabe123:

How do you come to that conclusion when there is not a general driver shortage :question:

There isn’t?
I passed my test 3 years ago… and hadn’t driven since.

Passed my first assessment and landed a job…

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Culina DHL and Stobarts all take new passes.
First 2 seem fine…stobarts would be a last gasp application

ROG:

TruckerWannabe123:

Because when you see companies saying “no experience is ok with us”, “new passers welcome”, it means they need you more than you need them which essentially means the demand for that job is greater than the supply because if everyone was rushing to become HGV drivers, they’d be overwhelmed with applications, spoilt for choice and do what 99% of other industries do and list an absurd amount of pre-reqs.

TruckerWannabe123:
Because when you see companies saying “no experience is ok with us”, “new passers welcome”, it means they need you more than you need them which essentially means the demand for that job is greater than the supply because if everyone was rushing to become HGV drivers, they’d be overwhelmed with applications, spoilt for choice and do what 99% of other industries do and list an absurd amount of pre-reqs.

Might be in specific areas but certainly not like that nationwide

Thanks for your advice! I’m in Hertfordshire not far from Hemel Hempstead and St Albans which seems to have a few potential employers.

I have plenty of anecdotal evidence that it’s getting easier to get a start. But this probably wont be the case over the whole country and those who get the job perhaps put some effort in by knocking on doors and talking to the right people.

I do believe that the tide is turning in many areas.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
I have plenty of anecdotal evidence that it’s getting easier to get a start.

Could that be due to the xmas rush :question:

Proper ray of sunshine you are Rog [emoji1787]