How to gain experience

hi all

earlier today ringing around haulages companies which posted jobs on net n they all
want 2 years experience.
How can any newbie driver gain experience when noone even willing to take you on i even tried driver hire but dont want to no

Its not easy at all to get any experience as a newbie. Ive been ther and got the T-Shirt. Best thing to do is sit tight and wait for things to get better economically. Go and register with as many agencies as you can, and point out that you are willing to do Van & 7.5 tonners. Its how i got my experience, was on a contract doing van / 7.5 tonners, and they knew i was doing my class 2 at the time, as soon as i passed they started giving me class 2 runs. Same happened when i got my Class 1 a month later.

Don’t lose heart, and keep looking for any possible lead on a job.

but only troble is my age im only 23 companies wot do van or 7.5 tonne cause insurance

you dont need to drive to get experience. you just need to have had your licences for 2 years. silly i know, but its true.

I would suggest looking into being a bus driver in some areas vacancies are still being posted.The economy is shot at present and trucking is pretty much a closed shop right now.I found my class C licence was as much use as a condom in a monastery 12 years ago when it was brand new,so some things havent changed good luck with your search.

Newbies - Jobs, Agencies & EXPERIENCE & Is this country short of drivers ?

Try going in person to ones that haven’t advertised for drivers. Be smart and presentable and don’t be afraid to try less obvious places such as skip hire or scrap metal merchants, smaller operations will be more flexible.

I’m not going to suggest it will be easy or even fruitful but it’s another avenue.

There are hauliers who take on 21 year olds, but they aren’t the big companies who advertise. If you want these jobs you have to get out there and knock on doors of the small companies. They don’t have a recruitment policy and when you go into the office you’ll more than likely be talking to the owner. He won’t worry to much about policies etc, but more that you are keen and you bothered to knock on the door. :slight_smile:

The bloke that gave me a chance has taken on many inexperienced drivers and even 21 year olds over the years, the trucks aren’t new and shiny but they are well maintained in house. the pay isn’t great but the bloke is fair and you’ll be put with an old hand to learn the job when you start. Much better than getting dropped in the deep end with an agency. :smiley:

you just have to be cheeky sometimes with companies and just get your face know, i was lucky cause most of the work i got experience with i worked there whne i was younger as a drivers mate so they remembered me so i got my foot in the door.

but with your age its a right burger, im only 22 myself, 23 in april so things should change for me a bit more, ive got my c+e so its rare i get artic work if any at all.

thanks for your help everyone i very grateful i will be taking on wot everyone said
thanks for ur link rog thanks again