More questions than answers

Hi all,
I’m a 24 year old currently working in the private security industry. I do four 12 hour days on and then 4 days off, works out around £10.70 an hour. I’m fancying a change in career and have always enjoyed driving so thought that LGV’s are the way forward.
I don’t currently hold anything above a car licence so wondered if it’d be best to go to a company like Peter Smythe’s or sell my soul to Stobart’s for a few months after doing their driver training course with guaranteed job at the end of it to show some real life experience?
Are trucking companies likely to employ someone who has only just got their licence and would have very little experience? I see WS Transportation are recruiting at a depot very close to my home and from what I’ve seen, they seem to pay well and treat drivers better that some companies.
Thanks in advance for any replies!

Most folk will tell you to go down the agency route to gain experience. Agencies will take you on and most will do their best to get you work.

What I did was I registered with a few agencies to give me a better chance of getting work. I was also applying to companies for full time work which would of given me piece of mind that I had a job to go to. I kept applying to local haulage companies went door knocking sent emails. I didn’t just apply once to these places I applied 3 and 4 times until someone would listen and eventually take me on lol.

This job can be long hours as well and for not much more pay than your on just now. at the moment I’m doing 12 and a half hour shifts double man trunking. O have only held my class 2 since last september and class 1 since last november. Was difficult to find someone who will take on a new pass but some give you a chance weather its class 1 or 2. Some companies do 4 on 4 off some do 5 out of 7 some do monday to friday.

Hope this helps and good luck

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

If you have the money to out yourself through the tests then that’s the best way to do it, that way you’re not tied to a company. For example, Eddie Stobart will train you and get you through your tests, but if you leave within 3 years you have to repay back all training costs, and that can be a few thousand pounds, and will definitely be more than if you paid to do it yourself. Also, the reason Stobarts are so keen to train drivers is because no good drivers worth their salt would go and work for them so they have to get newbies so they have bums in seats.
There are plenty of good training schools wherever you are in the country, just make sure you avoid brokers (like easy as hgv) as they will cost you as much as 50% more than going straight to a training provider.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

CookieMonster:
If you have the money to out yourself through the tests then that’s the best way to do it, that way you’re not tied to a company. For example, Eddie Stobart will train you and get you through your tests, but if you leave within 3 years you have to repay back all training costs, and that can be a few thousand pounds, and will definitely be more than if you paid to do it yourself.

I’m not sure that’s how it works…Last I checked (over a year ago) you had to pay for your training with ES yourself, the only thing they offered was finance (at a pretty high % rate) but no contract or job at the end - they only guaranteed an interview. Seeing as how nowadays they only seem to be advertising/recruiting through their own agency, I doubt they’re going to give you a full time job once you’ve passed.

ETS:

CookieMonster:
If you have the money to out yourself through the tests then that’s the best way to do it, that way you’re not tied to a company. For example, Eddie Stobart will train you and get you through your tests, but if you leave within 3 years you have to repay back all training costs, and that can be a few thousand pounds, and will definitely be more than if you paid to do it yourself.

I’m not sure that’s how it works…Last I checked (over a year ago) you had to pay for your training with ES yourself, the only thing they offered was finance (at a pretty high % rate) but no contract or job at the end - they only guaranteed an interview. Seeing as how nowadays they only seem to be advertising/recruiting through their own agency, I doubt they’re going to give you a full time job once you’ve passed.

It may have changed, I know that’s what a mate of mine went through when he did his training. Either way, still much better off paying for it yourself than going through their system

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk