New to the forum and in need of BIG help!

Well the subject heading sounds as if i’m desperate doesn’t it? My names Tom i’m 19 years old and i’m currently studying aviation management at degree level at Leeds Bradford airport. My daily trip from Worksop to LBA is 120 miles and i’ve been doing this for the past 2 years - this is practically when the passion doing LGV driving came to mind. At the moment i’m totally fed up of academic studies i really really do hate it at the minute and i’m considering withdrawing from the course.

I’ve been working at Wilkinson’s distribution centre in Worksop part time for the past 3 years i’m on despatch and tipping loading/unloading trailers so i have basic experience with some HGV equipment. I’ve spoke to a few of the lorry drivers at Wilko’s and have asked what is the industry currently like and it’s 50/50 if i’m honest. Some say its picked up a hell of a lot recently and some others say just don’t even go there. Realistically now if i did drop out of uni what would the chances of a 19 year old lad getting into this industry be like?. I would be willing to work for an agency and also would be willing to travel to the depot.

Stay where you are for now and get your degree, It might be hard now but when you have it it’s there for life. When you are sat in a truck later in life working 80 hours a week for maybe £100 a day you will wish you had.

Stay where you are mate. I was 23 securing my first full time job that paid enough to live on. It was really hard going and just by luck I got the job being in the right place at the right time.

My advice would be to finish your degree first. There will always be time later on to do your lgv tests.

As a 20 year old just doing his license as we speak, but have gained a job in a very busy transport office I can say jobs are out there if you want them. You just have to get off your arse and find them, I’ve spoke to a few haulage companies some with not so good reputations some with rather good reputations and they’ve told me had I had my license I would have been given a chance. So there are chances there, it’s just taking the jump to get there.

I could get a driving job where I work now had I have my licenses but well as I know what is going on behind the scenes, it certainly doesn’t make me want a driving job here :laughing: But it wouldn’t stop me should the chance arise. As many will say it’s been proven time and time again it can be done its down to you to find the work as nobody can do that for you unless of course you have family who have a haulage company where the chance is there on a plate for you.

Hope this helps and good luck with whatever you decide :smiley:

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

Edit: As above though, finish your degree. Always better to have something to fall back on should anything go wrong as you can’t drive a truck due to health or whether you can’t stick the job for whatever reason :sunglasses:

Continue the degree.With that you can live and work around the world or become a commercial pilot.
Leave the trucks for now.Can you rent or live closer to Ledds Bradford Airport,buy a cheap caravan and stay at a caravan park maybe.
Youth hostels are cheap to stay in.
YMCA maybe.Or share a house to split the bills.
I had the chance to learn about jet engines at Gort Laudrrdale Florida and regret not doing the course.
Joe Public in the UK hates trucks, they are too thick to work out with no trucks,how much they affect their lives.
A month strike would stop all these anti truck Nimbies.

Stay finnish your degree then think about it as it will still be there when you have finished

As said, do your degree. Then decide. It would be madness to give up the degree such as that for driving a truck. :sunglasses:

Plenty of time to be a trucker later in life ,get the degree and then you have options to do what you want , done my class 2 and class 1 last year just as I turned 50 , but I know what it’s like when your 19 when you get something into your head and can’t shift it , good advice from the guys above get the degree first , decision is yours all the best for the future .

when I was 20 and just out of my time (engineering )the personell manager approached me with the good news " we have got you a place at college to take your ONC & HNC with a view to putting you in the drawing office, we are confident you can go far in the company " my reply was "stick it !!! I like it where I am " even after the guy pleaded ,begged and offered inducements I refused point blank to go back to school . the number of times I have regretted my actions since :frowning: :frowning: take my advice and take all the education you can get , you can do whatever you want once you already have it and if the need arises in the future you can fall back on it.

One thing I’ve learned about anybody interested in becoming a " trucker" is that they don’t listen to people telling them not to do it. You will find a way to take the test etc and then you will realize that all the negative comments were true and how you wished you had listened. Good luck though.

I’m going to repeat what most people have already said I’m afraid: finish your degree and then decide.

I went down the uni route and got my degree and then got a job luckily. Only after all of the hassle of exams / coursework etc. did I then go down the license route. Passed my cat C last April at the age of 23 and then only did my cat CE after being asked to do odd weekends helping out, so only passed in October (done my cat D since as well :smiley:)

Yes I love the driving, but I really wouldn’t risk dropping out of uni and then hoping for a job. The driver market is just far too thin and volatile at the moment. Personally I would complete your studies as you will have more of a chance of a job afterwards. The economy is too slow still at the moment for an increase in driving jobs, but it is improving however.

Just my tuppence worth! :slight_smile:

The jobs market is supply & demand atm there are too many drivers & not enough work for them all

Yep it is starting to change but as per has gone a bit quiet in jan /feb it will pick up a little but who know what is going to happen in the next few mth with the drivers cpc coming in

As said finish your degree then think

I did crap jobs as a teenager then joined the army got my class 3 left then got a job driving buses for 17 years worked in the office another 7 years hated it made redundant after 23 years with the same company, no qualifications but on my office work I got agency work at another office (social housing) then had the offer of labouring permanent at my current employer who noticed I had a dormant class2 wag and drag (granddad rights class3), he announced I should get my medical sorted and paid (over 45) and produced a wagon for me and a weeks refresher I had the keys and wage rise.

Now I consider myself very very lucky and some, but if I could have my time again I would get those qualifications, my stepson is just a tad older than you and in uni and I will work my ■■■ off to get him through it so he has a future.

I, as I mentioned am very lucky and landed good but so many driving jobs are pushed to the limit of the law and low paid and you will change employer like the wind changes direction a lot of the time.

Get your head working and aim for some stability, but it could still be an investment to get your licence to fund uni and have an understanding of logistics in your chosen subject Aviation Management, feathers in your cap and all that :wink:

Good luck on your chosen path :wink:

Bide where you are, get the qualification you’ve worked for. The. If you still want to go for your HGV get the ball rolling once you’ve got your degree

I made the mistake while in the same situation in that I let everything drop and went for this. Don’t get me wrong, I really enjoy my job, but I regret dropping everything. Definitely finish what you’ve started and then look to doing it.

I can’t really speak of what its like to get a job in your area but I started driving class 2 in the north west a year ago aged 21 and 6 months letter sat my class 1 test and got a job driving class 1 a week later. I had no luck applying to the big companies or agencies for that matter but got offered two jobs within a week both with small hauliers who weren’t actively recruiting but I just turned up with CV’s in hand at the right time. Also both of them had sons driving for them who were also under 25 and my current boss still had to pay a £1500 excess to get me on the Insurance so I don’t get the same money as the rest of the drivers which winds me up a bit, I did get a job though so theres no reason you can’t.

You need to think about why you chose the course you did - if you want a career in the aviation industry carry on. If you picked the course with no idea what you wanted to achieve from it then it’s worth rethinking but bear in mind you’re unlikely to get a better opportunity to do a degree later and maybe the question you should be asking is if it’s the right degree for you.

There’s always jobs out there for those prepared to go after them, but your earning potential after you complete the degree will be much higher than if you ditch it now.