Long hours Class 1

Hi everyone,

Passed my class 1 couple weeks ago and got a few assessments coming up, one is for container work and the other is at pringle and son, does anyone on here have any info on these two and what are they like to work for ?

Iv done a of bit research but all i could find is pringle and son seem to do multi drop home bargain contract with double decker artics, would that be more than 5 drops a day ?

And all i can find on container work is that you do long boring hours, but what do people mean by long boring hours, will the hours not be similar to most artic work as in 56 a week and 90 a fortnight

Any info would be appreciated thanks,

Sent from my MI 8 using Tapatalk

br1982:
… as in 56 a week and 90 a fortnight

That is just the max driving time you have stated - working hours and shift hours are likely to be MUCH longer

Thank for reply mate so basically then with containers you should expect to do full WTD of 60 hrs a week predominantly just sitting on your ■■■ waiting about to be tipped ? I just assumed most artic work would be close to the WTD

long hours is the norm on most Class 1 work!

You can quite easily do 70 hours a week on containers, 80 if you do a sixth day. POA and breaks are not counted towards working time.
Not unusual to spend anything upto 6 hours getting tipped. Stick your tacho on break or poa and get your head down.
It’s an easy job, but it’s boring as hell

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

CookieMonster:
You can quite easily do 70 hours a week on containers, 80 if you do a sixth day. POA and breaks are not counted towards working time.
Not unusual to spend anything upto 6 hours getting tipped. Stick your tacho on break or poa and get your head down.

Pfft 80! :wink: One of my drivers once put in a time sheet that covered 123 hours, in fairness it did include 24 hours of ferry time, and being double manned.

albion:

CookieMonster:

Pfft 80! :wink: One of my drivers once put in a time sheet that covered 123 hours, in fairness it did include 24 hours of ferry time, and being double manned.

Most drivers these days can’t keep up with that anymore, too much like hard work [emoji1787]

Pringle & son Carluke?

Worked for them years ago. Believe they are now £14.60 pH for trunking down to just outside Liverpool. (BM Bargains)
Always gives newbies a chance.

Units are mostly Scania’s - decent kit

I haven’t seen eye to eye with Joe for nearly 20 years but all in all would be a good place to start out.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Sounds like another new driver who’s not researched the job before passing the test and now in for a shock at the hours

If you go into it expecting to work 25 hours a day, 8 days a week then you might just get the occasional pleasant surprise. Like a half day for Christmas. Most companies will probably take that half day out of your holiday entitlement though

br1982:
Thank for reply mate so basically then with containers you should expect to do full WTD of 60 hrs a week predominantly just sitting on your ■■■ waiting about to be tipped ? I just assumed most artic work would be close to the WTD

If you want shorter hours get a supermarket driving job.

bald bloke:

br1982:
Thank for reply mate so basically then with containers you should expect to do full WTD of 60 hrs a week predominantly just sitting on your ass waiting about to be tipped ? I just assumed most artic work would be close to the WTD

If you want shorter hours get a supermarket driving job.

I dont want shorter hrs i only wanted clarification on certain things i have read on here or online

mac12:
Sounds like another new driver who’s not researched the job before passing the test and now in for a shock at the hours

What part of my question makes you think im in shock ■■? I was asking a simple question as to why i have read ppl saying things like long hours , i fully aware of the hrs that need to be done

I asked a question about a couple a companies and then asked what ppl where meaning online or on here when complaining about long boring hrs on containers yet i come back to a couple snide comments as if its me complaining about the hrs [emoji1787][emoji1787]

DF40:
Pringle & son Carluke?

Worked for them years ago. Believe they are now £14.60 pH for trunking down to just outside Liverpool. (BM Bargains)
Always gives newbies a chance.

Units are mostly Scania’s - decent kit

I haven’t seen eye to eye with Joe for nearly 20 years but all in all would be a good place to start out.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Thanks for reply mate i spoke wae joe today and i got a start seems a nice friendly company [emoji1360]

CookieMonster:

Thanks pal

br1982:

mac12:

What part of my question makes you think im in shock ■■? I was asking a simple question as to why i have read ppl saying things like long hours , i fully aware of the hrs that need to be done

I never said you was in shock you said that you thought that you could only work 90 hours in a fortnight, to me that means average 45 per week when in real you could be doing nearly double that’s the shock

Class 1 and class 2 are totally different beasts.

Class 1 may involve long hours on paper. But ime will involve an awful lot of waiting. You will wait for a trailer. You will wait to be let on site. You will wait to be tipped. You will even wait to get onto a bay when you get back to your depot.

Class 2 on the otherhand involves an awful lot of rushing (I’m generalizing here). The work is much harder.

It’s not unusual for me to get a significant sleep on a class 1 shift. But is very rare on a class 2. I have done it on a rigid. But it’s been same day deliveries/collections.

Invest in a kindle or an ipad if you are class 1. You will find the time goes a lot more nicely if you are reading or watching films. Personally I still like to mix it up. I enjoy the variety. But class 1 work is doddle in comparison to class 2.

Im on containers and average 10-12 hour days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk