jobs and hours

hi there,

i am about to begin my practical training in the next two weeks. after doing my theory tests and reading about the hours whilst studying it would seem to me that you can only drive 9 hours a day and increase to 11 twice a week.

i have seen a number of jobs advertising 12 hours a day class 1 driving and also ones at 48 hours a week. which makes me slightly confused as i was under the impression this is breaking your hours in a day and also if you did 48 hours a week then you would exced the 90 hours in every two weeks?

anyone shed any light on why jobs are advertised like this? does it mean for the other hours you are doing manual work even though it does not say this?

cheers

It can be increased to 10 twice a week, and I believe the other 2/3 hours you would be POA/rest while tipping, loading etc easily making the day to 12 hours.

And those waiting times can quickly add up depending on the work your doing when I drove for dhl 1/2hour waits at sum delivery points wasn’t out of the ordinary

I suppose depending where/who you drive for an what type of hours you expect, you could quite easily rack up 5/6 hours POA depending on where you are loading or delivering.

You are mixing up two sets of rules which run together

There are tacho rules
There are RT(WT)R rules - I often refer to this as RTD to show its not the normal WTD

Driving time is under tacho rules
Working time (not shift time) is under RTD rules

Tacho rules restrict what the shift time can be in a daily or weekly period by the daily and weekly rest rules
RTD rules restrict what work (driving + other work only) can be done in a week or over many weeks

Example shift
Start 0600 then finish 1900 (0600 is the start of the 24 hour clock)
Driving done in that shift = 9 hours
Other work done in that shift = 2 hours
Break in that shift = 45 mins
POA done in that shift = 1 hour + 15 mins
Total shift time = 13 hours
Total driving time = 9 hours
Total RTD time = 11 hours
Assuming the next shift started at 0600 the next day then the daily rest is 11 hours (1900 - 0600) so is a regular daily rest

Easy you dont just get in drive for 9 hrs do you ■■ as what about break walk round checks

My day /night

Start 19.30 do checks on unit go round connect up to trailer quick check of that drive for about 4 hrs drop trailer so get to delivery point midnight ish

Go park up take break collect next trailer about 02.30 connect up do checks leave drive back fuel up en route then back to yard drop trailer wash unit park up hand paper work in finnish about 07.30 ish

Thanks for the info, helps me. Just that I have never worked in the industry and only stuff I have done so far is the theory which covers hours driving and resting.

One final question for drivers out there.

On the digi tacho. You have rest, other work and driving. Do you put the tacho in and record other work when doing checks and attaching trailer etc? Can someone give me an example of this like above to help me understand it a bit better?

Thanks

mrhankey:
On the digi tacho. You have rest, other work and POA

Do you put the tacho in and record other work when doing checks and attaching trailer etc?

YES

Driving records automatically when the vehicle is moving

You are jumping a bit

Also some vehicles the digi automatically goes to break when you stop so be careful of that or some you have to put on break before you remove your card