Been asked to come in for a chat!

Hi. So i passed my class 2 about two months ago, i hadnt applied for anything till a few days ago as i wanted to get some leave out the way that i had left.
Ive been at my current employment for over 20 years not in transportation so going to a new job/industry is a big step for me.
Last night i sent my CV to a local transport company and today i get an email from the managing director asking if i could come in for a chat! i think i pooped my pants haha
So what im asking is what sort of things will he be asking me, i really dont want to mess it up if i can help it haha
thanks for any advice

lee-gray987:
Hi. So i passed my class 2 about two months ago, i hadnt applied for anything till a few days ago as i wanted to get some leave out the way that i had left.
Ive been at my current employment for over 20 years not in transportation so going to a new job/industry is a big step for me.
Last night i sent my CV to a local transport company and today i get an email from the managing director asking if i could come in for a chat! i think i pooped my pants haha
So what im asking is what sort of things will he be asking me, i really dont want to mess it up if i can help it haha
thanks for any advice

Depends on job etc.

Expect to be asked about what shifts you’d be willing to work. Nothing too hard. Potentially a driving assessment. If a big company expect a written test as well.

Don’t worry. Smile. Be positive. They want drivers. If you care enough to be worried you are well ahead of most who will turn up.

sammym:

lee-gray987:
thanks for any advice

Depends on job etc.

Expect to be asked about what shifts you’d be willing to work. Nothing too hard. Potentially a driving assessment. If a big company expect a written test as well.

Don’t worry. Smile. Be positive. They want drivers. If you care enough to be worried you are well ahead of most who will turn up.

Its palletised, curtain sider

good advice mate thanks

lee-gray987:

sammym:

lee-gray987:
thanks for any advice

Depends on job etc.

good advice mate thanks

Expect to be asked if you are okay with using a taillift and a pump truck. Say you are once shown how to properly.

Also expect to be asked if you are okay with multidrop including business and residential etc. Say you have no problem with this etc.

They might ask about paperwork. Say you find this very important. They don’t get paid if you don’t get the right signature. If asked what you do is customer is not there they want you to say you will call and ask office. Pretty much any problem they put to you is ‘call the office and get guidance’.

If asked about geographical knowledge say you have some and you also use a truck sat nav along with google maps for exact locations.

You will be expected to strap the load yourself etc - and seem really keen (not many will be tbh) but say you want to lean to do it the ‘propper way’ from them. This is simply buttering them up. But do take extra time in the morning to strap the load. With pallet work the weight distribution will be all over the place as they will be loaded in terms of drops rather than whats ideal. Don’t race around etc - take your time and do it properly.

One final tip. Double/triple check what you are dropping off. They are meant to be in order but they might not be. And also double check that the load is secure. I still remember getitng to the drop with kegs of cider when doing pallets and finding them all over my trailer. They weigh a ton when then need to try and stack them again!

sammym:

lee-gray987:

sammym:

lee-gray987:
thanks for any advice

Depends on job etc.

good advice mate thanks

Expect to be asked if you are okay with using a taillift and a pump truck. Say you are once shown how to properly.

Also expect to be asked if you are okay with multidrop including business and residential etc. Say you have no problem with this etc.

They might ask about paperwork. Say you find this very important. They don’t get paid if you don’t get the right signature. If asked what you do is customer is not there they want you to say you will call and ask office. Pretty much any problem they put to you is ‘call the office and get guidance’.

If asked about geographical knowledge say you have some and you also use a truck sat nav along with google maps for exact locations.

You will be expected to strap the load yourself etc - and seem really keen (not many will be tbh) but say you want to lean to do it the ‘propper way’ from them. This is simply buttering them up. But do take extra time in the morning to strap the load. With pallet work the weight distribution will be all over the place as they will be loaded in terms of drops rather than whats ideal. Don’t race around etc - take your time and do it properly.

One final tip. Double/triple check what you are dropping off. They are meant to be in order but they might not be. And also double check that the load is secure. I still remember getitng to the drop with kegs of cider when doing pallets and finding them all over my trailer. They weigh a ton when then need to try and stack them again!

Some great info there mate thanks

If its curtainsider pallets, then at least the hours shouldn’t be stupid as they need collections back by a certain time. Plus they tend not to work weekends.

Money probably isn’t fantastic but its a good start. Just be sure if you get it that someone shows you how to use ratchet straps (dead easy) and internals (also easy).

They likely want to just see you’re not a 6 legged moron and look like you have some brains.

As you’re new, admit that so they know you’re honest and as long as someone shows you how to do the job its pretty straightforward. Biggest headache is finding addresses.

Oh and double check any address is the delivery address not invoice address. Amazing how many people put 2 addresses on delivery notes.

trevHCS:
If its curtainsider pallets, then at least the hours shouldn’t be stupid as they need collections back by a certain time. Plus they tend not to work weekends.

Money probably isn’t fantastic but its a good start. Just be sure if you get it that someone shows you how to use ratchet straps (dead easy) and internals (also easy).

They likely want to just see you’re not a 6 legged moron and look like you have some brains.

As you’re new, admit that so they know you’re honest and as long as someone shows you how to do the job its pretty straightforward. Biggest headache is finding addresses.

Oh and double check any address is the delivery address not invoice address. Amazing how many people put 2 addresses on delivery notes.

■■■■ i might be ■■■■ out of luck then if they are not hiring 6 legged morons :confused:
thanks

If it’s of any encouragement I was asked to do the same thing a few days ago for a perspective employer for what would be my first job as HGV driver in general haulage if I got it.

I went there, it was a fairly informal chat, he gave me a form to fill out which included some navigation and driving time regs questions and asked me why I was changing career etc. Then he went over the job, how it will be, how they do things in some detail and what I can expect.

I was just honest in everything I told him, showed him I’m keen and half intelligent and low and behold he offered me a job which I gladly accepted.

I’m sure it will go the same for you pal

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Benja2802:
If it’s of any encouragement I was asked to do the same thing a few days ago for a perspective employer for what would be my first job as HGV driver in general haulage if I got it.

I went there, it was a fairly informal chat, he gave me a form to fill out which included some navigation and driving time regs questions and asked me why I was changing career etc. Then he went over the job, how it will be, how they do things in some detail and what I can expect.

I was just honest in everything I told him, showed him I’m keen and half intelligent and low and behold he offered me a job which I gladly accepted.

I’m sure it will go the same for you pal

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Thanks mate, yes that is encouraging, not gonna worry too much.

Well done on your new job