Success Story

So, I’ve been a funeral director for the last 15 years, but became very disillusioned with the whole profession.

I passed my class 2 , two years ago and have just sat on it; I also passed class 1 a few weeks ago.

Anyway to cut a long story short, I decided to take the leap and find a driving job and leave all the doom and gloom death stuff behind.
I sent my CV to a couple of tipper firms and one rang me the same day they received it. I had an interview and they gave me a start. This was a month ago; I had a couple of days with another driver, then was set loose on my own.
So far I have not crashed or smashed anything which I consider a very successful first month.

With all the rain we’ve had, the off road stuff in the firms quarries was a steep learning curve, but I’ve managed and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I’m on ■■■■ money compared to what I was doing, but am I happier??..■■■■ right I am, stress and hassle free and no one bothers me. Yes if I make a certain number of loads per day I get a bonus, but if I don’t make the number, no one hassles me.
Would I recommend tippers? Hell yes, as long as you don’t mind very muddy boots.

I thought I’d like to go on to a class 1 job in the future, but I’m not so sure now; I’m home every night and don’t work weekends.

Anyway I thought I’d just share my story, because it’s not all doom and gloom out there as some would have you believe!!

[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing. I appreciate reading positive stories like this as I’m just starting the journey. It’s nice to read something to balance out the “lorry driving is AWFUL now, I wouldn’t let my kids do it” kind of stuff. :laughing:
I’m really excited about the future.

I never mentioned that before my funeral director career, I was a goods inward manager for Turner Price.

One thing I learnt from that very early on, is that drivers moan…moan, moan, moan. Maybe it’s because they’re on their own most of the time!? But moan they do!! The jobs what you make it and if you want to go down the moaning line like many do , you’ll drag yourself and everyone around you down. Look at the positives and stay positive.

Lots of drivers where I work moan; but why?? It’s not life or death or anything; it’s basically driving some mud or other ■■■■ around… in the whole scheme of things it doesn’t really matter. Some are far to serious with it all.!

Just enjoy the fact you’re on your own and out and about , rather than stuck in an office;with all the ■■■■■■ politics that go with it

Im on the tippers also. 10 times better than any class 2 job I’ve had

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

I’m pleased to read this post too. Im a new pass class 2 looking for my first start and its good to hear some positivity.

I myself left construction management, i was paid a lot of money but the stress and pressure I was under was immense. I’ll be greatful just to be out and about and not under the scrutiny and pressure i was. I know there will be bad days and types of pressure and stress, but i know it wont be like running a site. Cant wait to get started!

Cheers for sharing

Ive always wanted to work in the funeral business

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another thumbs up for tippers, im on them down here in Kent . Brett Aggregates 1.5 yrs. Happy.

And another success story to add…
I’d been in catering all my life and decided last August I’d had enough. After doing all my theories I passed my class 2 last December and did class 1 in January. Got a class 1 bulk tipper job in March as a newbie and after initial steep learning curve, after 4 1/2 months I’m still enjoying it.
It certainly is what you make it. A lot of drivers moan but I tell Them to spend a month as a chef in a kitchen 12 hrs a day, they’d soon change their tune. This job isn’t anywhere near as stressful as being a chef and is a piece of cake in comparison. I’m also happy that I’m now paid per hour, so don’t mind doing 60-70 hrs a week cause I can earn 700-800 per week.

I’m a fairly new Class 2 pass (Feb, driving since March).
I’ve met so many drivers who whinge, moan, ■■■■■, complain. I’ve proved that you can get another driving job.

I’ve been doing agency work since the end of May as I decided to walk away from a dray work job that was permanent but kept trying hurt/kill me.
I enjoy the time on my own (currently tramping). I’ve tried several things that have been a day here or a few days there. All good experience as a newbie. You get confident if you have the chops.

Some customers will make unrealistic demands but I simply and politely explain why their requests aren’t always possible. Having a sympathetic TM helps.

You’ll find your thing and keeping away from other drivers from your organisation is not always a bad thing. Having said that, I met a colleague today who was positive and helpful so do be open-minded.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

40 odd years for me and yes i still enjoy it, lorry driving that is.

As said best to avoid the moaners, the glass constantly half empty crew, get a ■■■■■■■■ of them and they can thoroughly demoralise a yard.
The job is what you make of it, doesn’t matter what side of the industry you are in all sides have good and bad points, we’re all different so after a while we’ll find the speciality we like.